Installed Intel Parallel Studio for C++, but only create Visual Fortran Project

Installed Intel Parallel Studio for C++, but only create Visual Fortran Project

I installed Visual Studio 2010 Express on my Windows 7 Professional system.
Then I installed Intel Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011 SP1 for Windows* Update 1.

I was hoping to run Cilk.
I told the installation program that I had VS 2010, and it created a menu item called "Parallel Studio XE 2011 with VS2010".

It all looked good, but when I start this menu item, the only project type I am allowed to start up is Visual Fortran. Nothing again Fortran programmers, but that is the LAST thing I wanted. Why can't I create a C++ or (better still) a Cilk++ project type. When I look under the Tools menu, I only see "Intel Visual Fortran Module Wizard", and nothing about C++ at all.

I was expecting to see "Intell C++ Composer XE 2011", but its not there.

Has anyone see this before?

Thanks!
Scott

publicaciones de 9 / 0 nuevos
Último envío
Para obtener más información sobre las optimizaciones del compilador, consulte el aviso sobre la optimización.

The Intel C++ compiler is very tightly integrated to the VisualC++ environment, and as such works using the default Visual C++ project types - like for example, Win32 Console Application. We don't provide any custom C++ project types. Hope that helps.

Brandon Hewitt
Technical Consulting Engineer

For 1:1 technical support: http://premier.intel.com

Software Product Support info: http://www.intel.com/software/support

Quoting Brandon Hewitt (Intel)The Intel C++ compiler is very tightly integrated to the VisualC++ environment, and as such works using the default Visual C++ project types - like for example, Win32 Console Application. We don't provide any custom C++ project types. Hope that helps.

Thanks Brandon. I tried using Visual C++ Win32 but it can not find the Cilk include files. The headers like cilk.h are on my computer under E:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE\compiler\include\cilk\cilk.h and as well as under E:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\compiler\include\cilk\cilk.h.

I built a serialized test app and it compiles fine under my project, but when I try to add "#include ", I get a compile error saying it can not find cilk.h

Two questions:
1) Shouldn't Composer XE have set up this include path already? Either way, how do I set it up manually?
2) How can I tell if Visual C++ is actually invoking the Intel compiler? Wouldn't it default to using Microsoft's?

Thanks!

I have the path for cilk headers set up. I am not sure if this was supposed to be set up automatically, but I was able to doing manually using the following msdn article:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vcgeneral/thread/a494abb8-356...

But I still don't seem to be running the Intel compiler. I added the following test code:

int i,Test[10];

cilk_for(i=0;i<10;i++) Test[i]=i;

But I get the following compiler error:
error C3861: '_Cilk_for': identifier not found

It is successfully including cilk.h which redefines cilk_for as _Cilk_for, but then it can't find that identifier.

Hi ScottK,

Did you enable Intel compiler to build your project? Such errors may be caused by building with VS compiler that doesn't support Intel Cilk Plus.
To enable Intel compiler right-click on your project, choose "Intel C++ Composer 2011" item and select "Use Intel C++". You can move back to VS compiler the same way.

Regards,
Kirill

Quoting Kirill Rogozhin (Intel)Hi ScottK,

Did you enable Intel compiler to build your project? Such errors may be caused by building with VS compiler that doesn't support Intel Cilk Plus.
To enable Intel compiler right-click on your project, choose "Intel C++ Composer 2011" item and select "Use Intel C++". You can move back to VS compiler the same way.

Regards,
Kirill

Can you give me more detail where I should be able to find Use "Intel C++ Composer 2011" platform choice? I don't see such a choice when I right click on my project. When I right click, there is a Properties choice, then =>Configuration Properties=>General=>Platform Toolset but there are no choices for Intel at all.

I can not choose "Use Intel C++", this is the problem.

Best Reply

I've just noticed you use Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition. Express edition is not supported for graphical integration of Intel Parallel Studio XE tools. Please refer to Release Notes:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-composer-xe-2011-release-notes/

So you can use Intel compiler, but from command line only. For full graphical integration of Intel tools install VS Standard or Professional. On my VS 2010 Pro the menu item I mentioned look this way:

That's very clear! Thanks so much for explaining that!
I switched to using Visual Studio 2010 Professional and now I have these options as expected.

A friend of mine got it to work with Visual Studio 2010 Express, so I thought the release notes might have been out of date wrt this restriction.

I like VS2010 Pro much better, so I think I will stick with it and pay for it. What I noticed with Express however, is that once I had installed VS2010Pro, the Intel C++ option also showed up in VS2010 Express. I think this is how my friend must have gotten it working too. There must have been a previous install of VS Pro on his computer at some point.

Thanks again for your help and taking the time to write out such a clear explanation including the expected menu graphics. Thanks!

ScottK

Hi,
I have a similar problem.
I started with installing the parallel studio xe 2011, but got only Fortran (no c++).
After that, I installed the c++ composer(c studio xe 2011)... no change.
After that I uninstalled the parallel studio and installed the c++ composer (with all tools)... :/

After reading this post, I installed the visual studio 2010 ultimate.
Now I see c++ features, but it's not similar to what I read at the c++ composer getting started tutorial (how to configure the environment).
I also don't have the option to change compiler to Intel's c++ as shown in the picture in this post.

I'm a little frustrated from all this procedure...
I don't mind starting all over again.
I need to take a c++ projectand make it parallel (debug/examine the results...).
What kind of installation do I need, and how should I do it.
Thanks

Deje un comentario

Por favor inicie sesión para agregar un comentario. ¿No es socio? Únase ya