Visual Studio 2008

Visual Studio 2008

Thanks for this great framework/demo! This is the first resource related to full multithreaded gaming applications that I have managed to discover.
Though I realise it's aligned to Visual Studio 2005.
What are the necessary steps and the order to compile the project under Visual Studio 2008?
Anyone who has ported Smoke to any other IDE than Visual Studio 2005, would you like to share your path?
Thanks! :)
Meanwhile I will try to compile Smoke using TBB sources downloaded from http://opentbb.org/
Would be great to know more about porting and extending Smoke.

http://vigroup.ru/
publicaciones de 10 / 0 nuevos
Último envío
Para obtener más información sobre las optimizaciones del compilador, consulte el aviso sobre la optimización.

We have managed to compile Smoke solution under Visual Studio 2008, except "SystemGraphicsOrge" and "SystemPhysicsCollisionHavok" projects, both in Debug and Release configurations for Win32 (x86).
Can you folks please advise how to compile those two projects under Visual Studio 2008 environment?
What should we tweak to compile those two projects with latest Havok and Ogre3D libraries?

Quoting - koichisenada
We have managed to compile Smoke solution under Visual Studio 2008, except "SystemGraphicsOrge" and "SystemPhysicsCollisionHavok" projects, both in Debug and Release configurations for Win32 (x86).
Can you folks please advise how to compile those two projects under Visual Studio 2008 environment?
What should we tweak to compile those two projects with latest Havok and Ogre3D libraries?

There were basically two reason we didn't ship on VS2008... and you found them! :-p
The publically available version of Havok didn't support 2008 at the release of Smoke. I believe you can get a newer version of the Havok SDK on the website. You will also need to get the newer version of Ogre. If you link against these libraries... you should be able to get things working. However, you might need to update some of the function calls for Havok because they modify the API with versions.

Good luck!
- Orion

Quoting - Koichi Senada

Actually, you don't need a newer version of Ogre, but you do need to get the correct version of the Precompiled Dependencies (for vc9) from this page. The version of Ogre included with Smoke is 1.4.9, so be sure to get the Dependencies for that version.

As you mentioned you also need to compile tbb yourself, to avoid errors.

Finally, Havok 550 is now available for vc9 as well, so that problem is fixed.

After doing all this, everything compiles fine, but I still run into a problem when launching the demo:
"Parser could not load the system SystemGraphicsOgre. File (Graphics.sfd), row (1), column (25)."
The bin/debug directory does contain SystemGraphicsOgre.dll, though. Any suggestions?

Hello, mtsr!

We gave up trying SystemGraphicsOgre and started our own SystemGraphics based on DirectX9.
Our system is linked upon SystemGraphicsRenderer.lib which does all the DirectX9 related tasks.
When that file fails to get compiled, our SystemGraphics.dll also fails that and we receive the same error as yours.
Is there anything specific at the "Output" window during the compilation?

Quoting - Koichi Senada

Hello, mtsr!

We gave up trying SystemGraphicsOgre and started our own SystemGraphics based on DirectX9.
Our system is linked upon SystemGraphicsRenderer.lib which does all the DirectX9 related tasks.
When that file fails to get compiled, our SystemGraphics.dll also fails that and we receive the same error as yours.
Is there anything specific at the "Output" window during the compilation?

Well, I got the SystemGraphicsOgre to work, appears I missed something when handcopying the Ogre files into the Smoke debug directory. So the instructions above are correct, just make sure you use all the right rebuilt ogre dll's.

Quoting - mtsr

Well, I got the SystemGraphicsOgre to work, appears I missed something when handcopying the Ogre files into the Smoke debug directory. So the instructions above are correct, just make sure you use all the right rebuilt ogre dll's.

Do you mind telling us exactly what you did to get it to work? I got as far as Koichi Senada with his "Parser could not load the system SystemGraphicsOgre. File (Graphics.sfd), row (1), column (25)." error.

Thanks,
mikfig

There's now an update to Smoke, R1.2. Enough people had asked us for VS 2008 support, we added it in. Ogre and Havok versions are unchanged, but the build is now simpler. Smoke runs faster, too!

Enjoy!

Hi you guys are great.
My problem is that the source codes are too heavy and so my server can not download such files suceessfully.
Pls do you have lighter files like maybe 80MB.
Thanks.
Am a physicist and so jus need some light applications.

Quoting - woleakande

Hi you guys are great.
My problem is that the source codes are too heavy and so my server can not download such files suceessfully.
Pls do you have lighter files like maybe 80MB.
Thanks.
Am a physicist and so jus need some light applications.

The installer is 115 MB and the full source/content zip is 175 MB; sorry that's too big.What are you looking for - sample demos to run, code to inspect or experiment with, or ...?In Smoke, we were trying out some different, scalable ways to thread and combine different game subsystems (AI, physics, audio, graphics, etc.) and then show it all in a game-like way. To do that, a lot of rich content is neededfor the demo to look and sound good.

Paul

Deje un comentario

Por favor inicie sesión para agregar un comentario. ¿No es socio? Únase ya