Streaming from mobile device(Windows Mobile 5.0)

Streaming from mobile device(Windows Mobile 5.0)

Imagen de amit_ger@hotmail.com

Hello,

I want to stream the live video captured from windows mobile 5.0 to other same type of mobile devices or to some server. Is there any way through which I can do it?

Regards

Amit

publicaciones de 7 / 0 nuevos
Último envío
Para obtener más información sobre las optimizaciones del compilador, consulte el aviso sobre la optimización.
Imagen de Lester Memmott (Intel)

Hi Amit,

I'm not an expert in this area but I know there are a number of ways to do it. Can you provide more details? For example, are you a software developer? What programming language would you like to use to do this? Are there any constraints on the protocol that is used between the two devices for the streaming video? Should it be standards based? Is it safe to assume that a standard TCP stack exists between the two devices? or are you relying on other protocols such as Bluetooth or the new wireless-USB? Are there any contraints on the video format? Does it need to be encrypted and/or compressed? What video encoding format would you like to use? e.g. MPEG, DIVX, raw, etc.

Hi Lester,

Yes, I am a software developer having around 3 yrs of exp in .Net technology. I am using C#.net. As of now there are no constraints on the protocol that is used between the two devices for the streaming video. My target device is Windows Mobile 5.0 only, so the communication is to be between such type of devices. It's not mandatory for the video to be compressed, as of now I just want to stream anyhow. Even bluetooth could be used for streaming if there is no possible solution. I would be very thankful even if we could stream the live video from mobile to some server which could further broadcast it to other users or could be viewed from some website.

Regards

Amit Verma

A basic way of doing this (novideo encoding) would be to do the following:

1. Using a TCP socket (System.Net.Sockets) create a network connection between the two devices.

2. On the device with the camera, take a smill picture and serialize it to the socket. You may want to send a header section first providing information about how big the picture is and what format it is (i.e. jpeg, raw, tiff, etc). I've not ever looked for a camear API in the Microsoft .NET Framework but you should be able to look around on http://msdn.microsoft.com for more information if they support one. If not, try the OEM for the device you are using to see if they provide an SDK to get pictures from the onboard camera.

3. On the device that will show the video, read from the TCP socket and once the complete picture has been received, display it to the screen.

4. Repeat steps #2 & #3 to make it streaming video instead of a single still shot. You might experiment with putting in a time delay to slow down the framerate and in turn decrease the amount of processing and network bandwidth required. Doing this, of course, will make the video more jittery.

You may find that the network transmission is the bottleneck in your application in which case you might look around for an MPEG or DIVX library that allows you to compress the data substantially. Hope that helps.

Hi Lester,

Thanks a lot for the reply!! ........i believe this suggestion will really help me out. Although I have'nt worked on sockets but I will implement it....I will be disturbing you from time to time.....I hope you wont mind.... Thanks again for the suggestion.

Regards

Amit Verma

Hi Lester,

I am working on your suggestion, but meanwhile can you tell that instead of clicking a still photograph and then transferring it through sockets is there any way through which i can stream a video through sockets rather then taking still photos?

Regards

Amit Verma

Having never written the code that does what you want to do, I'm not sure what the camera APIs look like. Once you find the camera API you might look and see if they have a streaming video mode or if it only supports the still shot mode. At the lowest level a streaming video is simply a sequence of still shots so if the camera only supports still shots you should be able to create the streaming video.

Inicie sesión para dejar un comentario.