Switching between 6 and 7

Switching between 6 and 7

Hi,

I'm trialling the icl and have been using v6 for a while. I tried v7 this morning and have two problems.

1/ Compile times:
==================
MSVC6 2 minutes
icl6 3 minutes
icl7 45 minutes !!!!! (using the same options ans V6)

2/ icl executables:
====================
2a/ The v6 compiler was called icl.exe and everything worked.
2b/ The v7 compiler is also called icl.exe but VS tries to execute xicl6.exe so I renamed icl.exe and everything works.
2c/ Switching back to use V6 still uses xicl6 (the V7 compiler) so I appear to have lost V6, even though it's still there and the option to select it is under the tool menu.

===================

Any ideas anyone, as we got a 30% improvement in our application performance with V7 and I need to finish my comparisons with V6.

Jeremy

publicaciones de 13 / 0 nuevos
Último envío
Para obtener más información sobre las optimizaciones del compilador, consulte el aviso sobre la optimización.

This late item just in....

Swapping to ANY compiler now results in a compile time of over 30 minutes. I think I'm going to have to uninstall the Intel stuff and hope I can recover the MS compiler.

Jeremy

I've removed both V6 and V7 and the MS compiler is now back to normal.

Hmm....

Imagen de maximillian-domeika (Intel)

This sounds like a compile time issue in our 7.0 product. You did some strange things with xicl, but that doesn't sound like part of the issue. Is there any chance you could reinstall 7.0 and possibly study the issue. Perhaps there is one file that optimization is stumbling on. Here's one experiment to confirm if it's optimization related, try a compile with /O2 (optimization) and then with /Od (no optimization).

Any help you can provide is appreciated as compile time is an area we are really trying to improve.

thanks,

Max

OK, I've reinstalled V7 and had no problems with the exe name this time! I have tried /O2 and /Od in the following mix (taken from the release build):

C/C++ Options tab:
/nologo /MD /W3 /GX /Zi /Od /I "..chart7include" /D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_AFXDLL" /D "_MBCS" /Fr"Release/" /Fp"Release/Xray.pch" /Yu"stdafx.h" /Fo"Release/" /Fd"Release/" /FD /c

Link Options tab:
dinput.lib dxguid.lib /nologo /subsystem:windows /incremental:no /pdb:"Release/Xray.pdb" /debug /machine:I386 /nodefaultlib:"libc" /out:"Release/Xray.exe"

Resources tab:
/l 0x809 /fo"Release/Xray.res" /d "NDEBUG" /d "_AFXDLL"

MIDL tab:
/nologo /D "NDEBUG" /mktyplib203 /win32

I haven't used /G7 /GA or any of the other P4 flags that I was trying before. I gave up after it looked like I was in for another unuseably long build.

Also I found out why an MS build takes so long after I deselect the Intel compiler: The MS compiler is not reinstated!

Finally, I have not clicked on "Update User's Registry" on the Start menu as I have no idea what it does and it didn't seem to be required for icl V6.

Jeremy.

Jeremy,

Can you confirm? Was there a difference in compile time between an icl w/ -Od compilation and a icl w/ -O2 compilation?

Thanks,

Max

Hi Max,

/Od = 1:41
/O2 = 2:41

to get to the end of the first file in the 2nd project in the workspace. The first project always seems to compile in seconds. After this (there are 5 projects in the workspace) all files take minutes.

Any ideas as to why the MS compiler is not reinstated using the compiler selection tool? While I am working I must use the MS product and deinstalling/reinstalling icl is a bit of a pain!

Also I just got a warning that my trial period is about to expire.

Jeremy

For VC 7.0, you would need to switch the compilers by going to project -> properties
Click Intel specific.
Select the compiler in the pulldown menu next to the label "Compiler and Environment Settings" Please see if that works.

Hi,

I don't seem to have a project->properties tab. Is this from VS7 perhaps? I am using VS6. I use the tools->select compiler option, which turns icl v7 on, but doesn't seem to turn it off!

icl v6 turned on and off successfully.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

Are these numbers from icl 7.0? If so, it looks like the 45 minute compile is no longer there and we are in the ballpark of MSVC. If not, can you do the -Od vs. -O2 experiement with 7.0?

Thanks,

Max

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well there. I don't have the time to wait 45 minutes per experiment :) So I stopped the build at a specific point (after the first troublesome file; the first file in the second project in the workspace - after this ALL files compile slowly). The times given were indeed for icl v7. As a comparison, the time to the same point using the MS compiler is 9 seconds using /O2.

Jeremy

Any chance you could submit a premier support issue? It sounds like a strange dependency, perhaps pch issue.

Thanks,

Max

Hi, Max

I'm not sure if I can: This is a trial version of the compiler so I don't know if we get Premier support. Also I think it highly unlikely that the company would permit any outside agency to see our source files. I also suspect that the corporate view would be "So what - it works with the MS product - experiment over"...

Which, I understand, does not help you guys at all.

Jeremy

Inicie sesión para dejar un comentario.