App Up on Windows Vista

App Up on Windows Vista

I am really not very sure why App Up client does not work on Windows Vista. Technically something which works on both XP and Windows7 should work on Vista as well. May be netbooks don't run Vista, but I consider AppUp is not just for Netbooks, I consider it a valuable software on every PC or even a MAC. I think they should bring out a Mac Version soon as that way users can install AppUp on Macs and download all those AIR apps available on it. Anyway this post is about Vista. Why AppUp does not run on Vista????? I would like to share what I tried and what I observed, may be we can make it work on Vista after all? So on a Vista machine when I tried to install AppUp, it gave an error saying - 'OS is not supported' and I couldn't even install the AppUp on vista. However I opened properties for the AppUp setup.exe and in compatibility mode I selected Windows XP SP2 and voila, I was able to install AppUp fine on Vista. Its icon didn't appear on desktop. I did a restart and icon was there on Desktop. I started AppUp and it actually runs, opens and shows Loading in all its sections. This is where it gets stuck. Anybody else has tried it and managed to run it on Vista? I also tried checking all the exes for the AppUp in the bin folder and tried to set them up for Windows XP SP2 compatibility, it didn't make any difference. Anyway I will be happy if somebody will share if they have managed to run it properly in Vista. To me it looks a tad odd that XP is supported but not the Vista. Regards, Sachin Palewar Palewar Techno Solutions www.palewar.com
publicaciones de 11 / 0 nuevos
Último envío
Para obtener más información sobre las optimizaciones del compilador, consulte el aviso sobre la optimización.

thanks a lot people

Hi Sachin,

Thank you very much for these great feedbacks.

Indeed the AppUp(SM) Center will be targeting a wider range of devices in the future. This program is initially focussing mainly on netbooks for the moment and the reason Windows Vista is not on the supported operating system list is because Windows Vista has never been implemented on a netbook by their manufacturers. Most netbooks on the market have either Windows XP Home or Windows 7 Starter. Some manufacturers also ship their netbook with Moblin and Meego is coming soon.

I assume that based on these tendencies, it has been decided that the AppUp(SM) will initially be made for these operating systems platforms only.
With the increased in people’s interest in our program, we have recently extended the support for Windows XP Professional 32bit, Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional and Enterprise (both 32 and 64 bits). http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-4664#Intel%20AppUp%20Center_152900

When we will have the Meego version of the AppUp(SM) Center, there will be a lot more devices that will be able to support the AppUp(SM) Center.

Currently there are no plans for Windows Vista.

Please keep an eye on our forums for up-to-date information.

Regards
Rooven

Intel Technical Support
Intel AppUp(SM) Developer Program
Intel AppUp(SM) Center

Regards, DG Rooven

Sachin,

In addition to the great feedback by Rooven: I believe that AppUp is very much a mobile lifestyle solution. Since no netbook (that I am aware of) has shipped with Microsoft Vista, that OS does not make a good candidate...yet. Windows 7 and Meego will end up on Tablets, In Car Entertainment systems, set top boxes and more. Should Intel decide to target standard laptops, Vista would then make a viable target OS.

Previous builds of the AppUp client could be made to work on Vista and Server 2003, however in recent releases they are targeting the supported OS's more. I tried to get it running on Vista this morning, and it did not work for me either. Should you find yourself in a situation where your development computer is running Vista, you could always use VMPlayer to create a Windows XP/7 virtual environment to use for AppUp development.

Hi Brian,

My only concern here is why specifically prevent the appup from running on Vista. I mean I don't think its a big task to ensure that it runs on Vista, even if using XP Comaptibility mode.

I understand that AppUp was initially planned for netbooks, but then Intel is not preventing you to install on Desktops and Laptops and I think they are doing the right thing by allowing AppUp to run on all types of PCs. I commented elsewhere in the forums that they should probably promote appup as store for PCs, any kind, any OS to gain maximum mileage. May be doing that can take some time.

But I don't understand if anything too drastic needs to be done to make it run on Vista or other Windows OS.

In my development experience so far, I have rarely come across any situation where I needed to make drastic changes in my app to make it run properly on multiple versions of Windows. In most cases apps just run on Windows's any version.

Anyway its not a big deal for me and if Intel has decided to not support Vista, then I will accept that.

Regards,

Sachin Palewar

I find it increasingly bizarre that Intel won't make App up available for Vista. As an early adopter of Vista (I bought a laptop with it when in retrospect I could have got a better spec laptop at the time with XP on it - but I assumed Vista would be supported for longer) I've got used to the fact that I made a mistake and Microsoft have been punishing me for it ever since.

However I resent the fact that Intel are punishing me now!

I recently considered buying a netbook for when I travel and for the kids to play with at home, but when I investigated Intel Atom processors I realised they are pretty similar in performance to my aging Intel Celeron M laptop. So I bought an Intel Core i3 ultramobile laptop to replace my current one (ideal for travelling) and gave the ids the old laptop (ideal for the web and with a bigger screen for DVDs).

Only one problem - no App up for the kid's laptop (so no Angry Birds etc!).

The reply above makes little sense:
" Most netbooks on the market have either Windows XP Home or Windows 7 Starter."

So if App up is for netbooks then it makes sense to aim it at these OS's - I agree so far...

"With the increased in people’s interest in our program, we have recently extended the support for Windows XP Professional 32bit, Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional and Enterprise (both 32 and 64 bits)"

Really? Where can I get a Netbook running those? Why not just admit you've decided to expand App-up to all laptops/PCs? Why pick just one OS (Vista) to exclude?

My wife still clings to our old desktop PC (the kids and I have long abandoned if for the laptops) running XP (and with an AMD processor I may add!), and guess what? She has App up? But the laptop I replaced it with doesn't - weird!

Maybe I will get a netbook after all - probably one with an AMD chip in it, just out of spite!

Count me as another that finds the ongoing lack of Vista support a bit bizarre. I can understand targeting netbooks, but how many netbooks out there run Win7 64x Enterprise, really? I have a laptop running Vista, would *like* to install AppUp on it, but c'est la vie, it's not possible to run. However, my other (somewhat ancient) notebook, fully 4 years older with XP on it, installs AppUp just fine.

This is the kind of thing that makes me just roll my eyes and find another solution. AppUp isn't the only app platform out there, y'know.

Color me frustrated,

- Mike

We run the SDk debugger for testing purposes in Vista all the time. This means you start the AppUop Software Debugger; then start your app
after setting the GUID to all 1s (ones). When you are done testing you set the GUID back to its hex values; build the MSI; code sign it and
you are on your way. We've seen no (zero) differences running on Vista, XP, and a Win 7 netbook (32 bit). However, running on win 7 64 bit
can take some jiggering with dlls and with the project configuration - you need a second MSI.

@Sachin

I just came across Intel AppUp a few days back looking at the games it offers to download and even I was taken aback by the XP & 7 only support.

Your argument of not letting vista users to install the App is valid but i guess the app store does not offer apps intended for windows vista other than possibly Wallpapers and stuff(Not sure whether the store has these).

And the SDK has support only for MeeGo,XP and Win 7 only.So i guess desktop users of Vista have to give a miss on this application!

Cheers,
Bharath K

@Sachin

I just came across Intel AppUp a few days back looking at the games it offers to download and even I was taken aback by the XP & 7 only support.

Your argument of not letting vista users to install the App is valid but i guess the app store does not offer apps intended for windows vista other than possibly Wallpapers and stuff(Not sure whether the store has these).

And the SDK has support only for MeeGo,XP and Win 7 only.So i guess desktop users of Vista have to give a miss on this application!

Cheers,
Bharath K

I have to say that as a Vista user I found it a little difficult to test my Apps prior to submitting them for validation for this very reason.

I had to wait until I could get a netbook before I even knew how they ran (and then found a few bugs I was unaware of).

It is not simple to fully 'support' an operating system as although Vista is similar to XP and more so to 7 there are still differences but it has hampered my efforts and may put some people off downloading AppUp to their home PC...

I would say that adding Vista support should be a priority.

Deje un comentario

Por favor inicie sesión para agregar un comentario. ¿No es socio? Únase ya