Intel 8086 Trap Flag - circuitry

Intel 8086 Trap Flag - circuitry

Good evening. This is my first post on Intel Forums, so I hope that I'm doing it inside the correct place.

Years ago I studied Intel 8086/8088 architecture, assembly programming and general structure. One topic that I recalled was the Trap Flag, which allows Single-Step mode in order for debugging.
How does the processor answers to a Trap Flag set (which is done indirect), on a logic level? Is a state machine which changes totally the behavior of the processor, or the processor goes into a power-saving state until the next instruction is requested, or stalls are inserted into pipeline structure until next request?

Thanks in advance.

publicaciones de 2 / 0 nuevos
Último envío
Para obtener más información sobre las optimizaciones del compilador, consulte el aviso sobre la optimización.
Imagen de ucentpw

it will execute one instruction and then stop. The contents of registers and memory locations can be examined; if they are correct, the system can be told to go on and execute the next instruction. The Intel 8086 trap flag and type-1 interrupt response make it quite easy to implement a single-step feature in a 8086-based system. If the trap flag is set, the 8086 will automatically do a type-1 interrupt after each instruction executes. When the 8086 does a type-1 interrupt, it pushes the flag register on the stack.The trap flag is reset when the 8086 does a type-1 interrupt, so the single-step mode will be disabled during the interrupt-service procedure.

Inicie sesión para dejar un comentario.