Is is safe to assign real*8 to real*4 after bound check?

Is is safe to assign real*8 to real*4 after bound check?

Imagen de rookie2010

Hi there,

We're using 64-bit  ifort  on linux and its version is  11.1 056.

I have to assign the value of a real*8 variable var_r8 to another real*4 variable var_r4.

If var_r8 is checked to be within upper/lower bounds of real*4, is it save to use
var_r4 = var_r8

In case var_r8 exceeds the smallest number which can be handled by real*4, var_r4 can be set as 0.0.

Your opinion is very much appreciated.

publicaciones de 6 / 0 nuevos
Último envío
Para obtener más información sobre las optimizaciones del compilador, consulte el aviso sobre la optimización.
Imagen de Tim Prince

If your only criterion of safety is that the assignment doesn't overflow, you are OK under the condition abs(x) < huge(1_4)

Imagen de rookie2010

Tim,

Thanks a lot for the info.  Function "huge" is the one to implement.   Do you know the corresponding function to show the smallest real*4?   I surfed the Internet but only found the compiler flags which handle floating point underflow.  However, I need to assign real*8 to real*4 and those flags are not too useful.

Thank you!

Imagen de Tim Prince

You implied you weren't concerned about underflow.  Partial or full underflow will set in for abs(x) < tiny(x).

If you are talking about compile options for abrupt underflow (such as ifort default -ftz) those simply assure that there is no partial underflow, so that real(x, kind(1.) ) always gives 0. for abs(x) < tiny(x).

-ftz has an effect only when used to compile the main program.  If you wish to switch underflow mode at run time, under

USE ieee_arithmetic

logical gradual_underflow

gradual_underflow= .....

call ieee_set_underflow_mode(gradual_underflow)

The only reason for introduction of these complications was that CPUs prior to Core I7-2 "Sandy Bridge" exhibited poor performance when encountering gradual underflow.  It's not clear that these facilitate whatever reasons you may have for reducing double to single precision.

Imagen de Repeat Offender

HUGE and TINY are Fortran intrinsics; no need to implement them yourself, just look at ifort's excellent documentation. Also the masked assignment with the WHERE statement and construct may be consistent with your needs.

Imagen de rookie2010

Tim and Repeat Offender,

Thanks a lot for the assistance.  I've got all I need.

Inicie sesión para dejar un comentario.