Compiling Issues with Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013

Compiling Issues with Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013

To whom it may concern:

I am currently trying to run a *.f90 code for a numerical modeling application. Before purchasing the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 licensed version, I was using a 30-day free trial of Intel Fortran Composer 2013 (which is included in Parallel Studio correct? What is the difference between compiler and composer?). I was able to run and restart my program using this trial version, which was the premise for purchasing the licensed software. After uninstalling the trial software and reinstalling the full software, I have not been able to run/restart my program properly as before. I thought this might be an issue with Visual Studio 2013 (after looking at some of the forum boards); I installed the 2008 and 2010 versions and found the same error (so this is the not the problem). I also tested the compiler against Compaq Visual Fortran (in an XP virtual machine environment) by running simpler codes (simple calculator, analytical solution, and numerical inverter applications); both gave the same result. I was just wondering if other users have dealt with the problem I am currently experiencing (are there any methods or tips to resolving this)? Any help or guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Sean 

publicaciones de 13 / 0 nuevos
Último envío
Para obtener más información sobre las optimizaciones del compilador, consulte el aviso sobre la optimización.

Cita:

Sean B escribió:
I have not been able to run/restart my program properly as before. 

Since you have not told us what "as before" means and you have not said what specific reasons make you "not able to run/restart my program properly", we have to await your describing those in detail before offering any suggestions.

An older version of ifort, such as you apparently are using, will ignore VS2013, and offer to install using VS2010 Shell, if it doesn't see a supported Visual Studio Pro. The trial versions are the same, except there is no VS2010 Shell, so you must have provided some compatible version of Microsoft tools.
You don't give any detail which would help anyone to understand which problem you ran into.
A useful bit of information would be the initial screen capture when you open up the ifort command line window, which we can't tell you how to do as you didn't say which Windows version you have.

"Composer" is a product that includes the compiler.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Hello again:

Thank you for your replies; I am running the program on the following:

Dell Optiplex 990 – Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 24GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, 64-bit OS, Windows 7 Professional 

The program I am using solves multiple non-linear 3-D equations per time step; it uses an iterative numerical solver to simulate these processes. "Before the licensed version" I was able to run the program (i.e. proceed to the next time step in the command window) without stalling/exiting; after installation, I have not been able to proceed past time step 1. In theory, I should be able to run the same program as "before" correct?

Kindest Regards,

Sean 

Once you build the program, nothing should stop you from running it forever. There is no difference in the compiler between evaluation and licensed. Something else is going wrong here. Are there any error messages?

Hi Steve:

Thank you very much for your reply; the program does start at the command window then requires the "Enter" button to start/restart; the program then tries to solve for the next time step (and must meet residual/error tolerances). Previously, I was able to run it and now not able to run it; in terms of installing/uninstalling components, do you recommend any strategies? Is there anyway to remove/clean all of the components from the computer and start again? I get the following message in the debug window but the program does not run:

'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\user\Desktop\RT Run\program\program\program\x64\Debug\program.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imagehlp.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Symbols loaded.
The program '[6672] program.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

It's funny that the first part of the line states the 32-bit configuration even though I am trying to run it in a x64 environment. Any thoughts? Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Sean B

Hi Steve:

Thank you very much for your reply; the program does start at the command window then requires the "Enter" button to start/restart; the program then tries to solve for the next time step (and must meet residual/error tolerances). Previously, I was able to run it and now not able to run it; in terms of installing/uninstalling components, do you recommend any strategies? Is there anyway to remove/clean all of the components from the computer and start again? I get the following message in the debug window but the program does not run:

'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\user\Desktop\RT Run\program\program\program\x64\Debug\program.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imagehlp.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'program.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Symbols loaded.

It's funny that the first part of the line states the 32-bit configuration even though I am trying to run it in a x64 environment. Any thoughts? Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Sean B

The x64 Windows environment supports both 32- and 64-bit .exe built by the corresponding versions of ifort.
A possible reason for the program quitting like this is a missing .dll dependency. Normally, the .exe needs a .dll provided by ifort only in the case where you use /Qparallel or /Qopenmp, in which case you need the corresponding libiomp5md.dll provided by ifort. Dependency Walker or even (for the simple case) dumpbin /dependents your.exe should show you such dependencies.
Did you build your application for 32-bits? If so, it will be useful to install the ifort ia32 to run the old .exe even though you may intend to proceed with the ifort intel64. The .dll from the ifort installation will be visible in the cmd shell only if you have initialized with the ifort PATH settings, as will be done for you when you open a cmd shell using the corresponding (32- or 64-bit) ifort cmd window shortcut

Cita:

That is an indication that the program ran to completion, whether or not it ran the way you expect it to run. If, for example, your program looks for an input file, and quits when no such file is found, you would receive such a message. 

That the listed DLLs loaded are all in System32 (rather than in SysWOW64) indicates that your application is using the X64-Debug configuration.

Thanks mecej4 and Tim! In terms of setting up the program in SysWOW64 how would I do this?

Cita:

Sean B. escribió:

Thanks mecej4 and Tim! In terms of setting up the program in SysWOW64 how would I do this?

I don't think that you should try to do so! If you had chosen Win32-Debug as the configuration in VisualStudio on a Win64 system, you would have seen SysWOW64 in place of System32, since the 32-bit system DLLs are located in SysWOW64.

Unless you have reason to believe that the program runs correctly in 32-bit mode but not in 64-bit mode, or vice-versa, the target choice should make no difference. Have you tried stepping through your program in the debugger to detect why it is exiting prematurely?

The problem is likely to be very simple - don't try to complicate it. Does this program open an input file? Where have you placed the file? It should be in the project folder, which I think is C:\Users\user\Desktop\RT Run\program\program\program

As mecej4 says, the program ran to completion and exited normally. All of those "Loaded" messages are just informational and are of no interest.

Inicie sesión para dejar un comentario.