If you are experiencing that data from your Serial over Lan Session with Intel(r) Active Management Technology (AMT) is not being redirected, this blog describes what might be going on.
- Intel AMT system is booted to DOS mode(Command prompt - text data only).
- Next, using your Management Console, connect to SOL using the Remote Control feature. When you take control and initiate a SOL session, the screen may show up as blank. The Intel AMT system may have a DOS command prompt but is not showing the expected text screen.
- Initiating a remote reboot option causes the Intel AMT system to restart and the post messages and text data will appear in the SOL session.
- If Intel AMT system is in the BIOS page and connected to a SOL session it may show a blank screen only without the BIOS screen.
What is going on:
By default, Intel AMT Serial-over-LAN will just send what you type in the terminal to a virtual serial port exposed to the operating system. If two applications are listening on the "COM PORT" you will just get a blank screen.
- Use the OpenDTK and you will get a command prompt on the Serial-over-LAN terminal.
- Use the Outpost tool, or install Meshcentral.com's mesh agent. In either case, the software will detect the Intel AMT serial port and hook-up a command prompt.
- Next, you can hit the ` (backwards tick) key (Located next to the ESC key on US keyboards) to refresh the screen and see the prompt.
- Type "cmd" to go to the DOS command prompt and type "exit" to go back or "help" for more commands.