Parallel Composer beta: Usefull feature missing from Visual Studio 2010

Parallel Composer beta: Usefull feature missing from Visual Studio 2010

Hi,

The Parallel Composer beta forum doesn't appear to be up yet. (http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-parallel-composer-beta/)

I have aVisual Studio solutionwith ~120 projects. In Visual Studio 2008 I can right click the main solution and find a menu item - Intel Parallel Composer 2011, where I can choose to use Intel C++ or use Visual C++ for the entire solution. In Visual Studio 2010 there is no such menu item, so the only way I have found to switch from Visual C++ to Intel C++, or vise versa, is to right click each individual project. This is very tedious for 124 projects. I have elected to stick with Visual Studio 2008 for now.

Regards,

John Price

9 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.

Hi John,
I'll look into this and will update you after some investigation. Appreciate your patience till then.
-regards,
Kittur

Hi John,
Can you try the beta forum now and post this same question there and see if you're now able to? Appreciate much.
-regards,
Kittur

Hi John,
VS2010 provides a different set of interfaces for 3rd parties to integration and it supposes to be simpler.

Yes, you can set the whole solution to use Intel C++ within VS2010.
- to set the solution use IntelC, right click-on the solution name, select "Intel Parallel Composer 2011->Use Intel C++": this will change the "platform toolset" of all the projects' to use Intel C++.

Several changes though with VS2010 integration:
1. the toolbar where you can click to set a project or solution to use IntelC or VC is removed. We're trying out right now. Because it's a rarely used toolbar (once or twice when tuning your application). But you can still get to it from the "Context menu" (right click on the project name or solution name)
2. when a project or solution is set to use IntelC, there is no associated icon for those projects (this is a limitation of VS2010).
3. the project property pages are changed significantly in VS2010. you can setthe project to use VC and one/two files to use icl by changing the project property-> general -> platform toolset.

Let me know if you encounter any difficulties.

thanks,
Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer for the response.

Hi John,
I moved the post you filed from the Studio forum to this forum as it's related to composer beta, just FYI.

-regards,
Kittur

Hi Jennifer,

I have a solution that contains 124 projects. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 version 10.0.30128.1 RC1Rel. I have right clicked on the solution name and I find that I have no menu "Intel Parallel Composer 2011" and therefore can't choose to "Use Intel C++" or "Use Visual C++". The Only way I can find the menu "Intel Parallel Composer 2011" is to right click on an individual project. After choosing "Use Intel C++", that is the only project in the solution that that is converted. I am quite sure about this.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,
Your confirmed response made me check again and I think I know the situation now.

When the solution contains projects that Intel C++ Compiler does not support, the "Intel Parallel Composer 2011" context menu does not show. Yeh, it's kind of inconvinient. I'll create a bug report about it.

btw. there is another to set multiple projects to use IntelC: hold down the [ctrl] and click on the project names; then right click... But it isinconvinient indeed.

Thanks again!
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I did a little more testing using your suggestion of selecting multiple projects. I found what I think is the problem. My solution is subdivided into project groupings by creating "folders" under the main solution name.When I selected every project and right clicked, I did find the menu item "Intel Parallel Composer 2011". When choosing "Use Intel C++" it converted all projects down to the first sub-folder, then stopped converting. It doesn't seem to like the fact that these folders exist. Here is an example of my solution:

MainSolutionName
Libraries
Project1
Project2
Project3
etc...
Graphics
Project10
Project11
Project13
etc...
Imaging
Project21
Project22
etc...

The Parallel Composer plug-in for Visual Studio 2010 seems to see the "folder" names asunsupported projects. When right clicking on the main solution, I think it doesn't provide the context menu because all my projects are under "folders". When I make multiple selections as you suggested, it stops converting at the next "folder" name.

I think it worth mentioning that I use this exact project setup with Visual Studio 2008, and it works perfectly. All 124 projects are converted, there are no unsupported projects in the solution. The "folder" names seem to be the problem in VS 2010.

Thanks,
John

Thanks for digging this out John! It's very useful info. I'll pass it to engineers. Maybe I'll file another bug report about it.

About the issue that you could not convert a solution to use intelc, it's been fixed already. But it may take sometime to get into a installable pkg. I'll let you know when it's available.

Thanks again.
Jennifer

Laisser un commentaire

Veuillez ouvrir une session pour ajouter un commentaire. Pas encore membre ? Rejoignez-nous dès aujourd’hui