Cilkscreen error on Ubuntu 11.10: E:3.0 is not a supported linux release

Cilkscreen error on Ubuntu 11.10: E:3.0 is not a supported linux release

Portrait de ScottK

I untarred Cilkscreen and Cilkview on my Ubuntu 11.10 system and tried to run the executables there. When I invoke either, I get the following error immediately and it stops running before it does anything at all:

E3.0 is not a supported unix release

I don't have a clue what E3.0 is, Ubuntu 11.10 is running on a very recent version of linux with the gcc 4.6 toolchain. I am running on an i5 4-core intel processor with ubuntu 64-bit linux version 11.10 (which was built and released October 2011)

Is this linux version too new, or too old? It is not very clear.
Do I need to recompile it?
Where is it getting this version info from? because it look wrong to me.

Thanks!

5 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.
Portrait de William Leiserson (Intel)

Hi, ScottK,

I discovered this error, too, when I upgraded to 11.10.Oneiric uses the 3.0 Linux kernel, and that was not supported by the version of Pin that the Cilk tools used. We have updated the version of Pin, and it works on the new Linux kernel.

If you re-download the SDK, Cilkscreen and Cilkview should both work on your system. Sorry for the confusion.

Portrait de ScottK
Quoting William Leiserson (Intel) Hi, ScottK,

I discovered this error, too, when I upgraded to 11.10.Oneiric uses the 3.0 Linux kernel, and that was not supported by the version of Pin that the Cilk tools used. We have updated the version of Pin, and it works on the new Linux kernel.

If you re-download the SDK, Cilkscreen and Cilkview should both work on your system. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Will. I downloaded the new version, but it gets stuck on ptrace_scope. I tried to update ptrace_scope, but Ubuntu doesn't seem to let me do it.

Please see the errors below:

ubuntu > cilkscreen othello
process killed by signal -7
ubuntu > E:Attach to pid 3451 failed.
E: The Operating System configuration prevents Pin from using the default (parent) injection mode.
E: To resolve this, either execute the following (as root):
E: $ echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
E: Or use the "-injection child" option.
E: For more information, regarding child injection, see Injection section in the Pin User Manual.
E:
q
q: command not found
ubuntu >
ubuntu > cilkscreen -injection child othello
cilkscreen error: unable to open binary: -injection
ubuntu > ls /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
/proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
ubuntu > cat /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
ubuntu > sudo echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
bash: /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope: Permission denied
ubuntu > sudo
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -L | -V
usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u user name|#uid]
usage: sudo -l[l] [-AknS] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-U user name] [-u user name|#uid] [-g groupname|#gid] [command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-C fd] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u user name|#uid] [-g groupname|#gid] [VAR=value] [-i|-s]
[]
usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-C fd] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u user name|#uid] file ...
ubuntu > su -
Password:
su: Authentication failure

Portrait de William Leiserson (Intel)
Best Reply

Ah, yes. The joys of ptrace_scope.

Simply sudo'ing the echo command is not enough, as you've discovered. I don't know why Linux restricts it. But I find that if I am actually root, I can do the echocommand without a problem:

% sudo bash
root% echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
root% exit
%

Let me know if that doesn't work. But it works for me, where simply sudo'ing echo doesn't.

Portrait de ScottK

Yes, I got that to work. Thanks! In Ubuntu, I had to first use sudo to set a root password, and then one can su to root to do it.

Connectez-vous pour laisser un commentaire.