Allowable string contents

Allowable string contents

Previously Rama claimed that strings would only contain [a-zA-Z0-9 \\t]. However examples also contain ':'. What is allowable content of string, really?

9 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.

Quoting john_e_lilley
Previously Rama claimed that strings would only contain [a-zA-Z0-9 \t]. However examples also contain ':'. What is allowable content of string, really?

Logically, stings can also contain '.' and '-' as in "-3.5"

Can the judges please release the official grammar in BNF so that all
these questions are laid to rest once and for all? I believe, there are
already a few candidates in the forum.

Anyone else get the feeling, this may be too much work to attempt to accomplish in 2 weeks, part-time? Especially, considering that the problem definition is still somewhat hazy. Does anyone even have a serial version yet?

I agree with Akki. It's frustrating the problem spec is so open-ended and unclear, which is the last thing one really expects for a parser which should implement a specific syntax.Clarity is needed here, not oversimplification eroding away key details. I realize the judges want to keep things simple, but simple is not about omitting detail. With decisions apparently being made on the fly, such as multiple statements per line, uninitialized variables (later retracted) and contents of a string - with many of them proving to be inconsistent or introducing further problems - one gets the impression this problem hasn't been thought through clearly enough by the judges.

Quoting akki

I was referring to the contents of the string constant on the input, not the string as computed in the program. The reason that this is important is that certain opimizations are possible if an input string cannot contain a ';'.

Quoting john_e_lilley

Quoting akki

I was referring to the contents of the string constant on the input, not the string as computed in the program. The reason that this is important is that certain opimizations are possible if an input string cannot contain a ';'.

I agree ';' within a string would be troublesome.

No response yet? Looks like the problem creators have given up... ;)

Rama has said that strings won't contain semi-colon so that statement parsing is simpler. Still, I agree strongly that a clear, unambiguous and workable definition is required.
It's already been stated that output strings won't be longer than the 256 character limit - I assumed the limit was only for parsed strings, strings produced via concatenation. So it makes sense for consistency that allowed input characters should match the allowed output characters. That way, the length and allowed content are part of the string type, in contrast being merely constraints on string literals.

Hi,
I agree with these queries. The strings will not have any special characters or semi-colon or "." or "?". Sorry, over time we did simplify the problem definition. The intent of this problem statement is to focus on parallel parser and not some of these intricacies which we haven't described in detail assuming to keep it simple.

Thanks
-Rama

Thanks!john

Laisser un commentaire

Veuillez ouvrir une session pour ajouter un commentaire. Pas encore membre ? Rejoignez-nous dès aujourd’hui