Connecting to the MTL from a Mac?

Connecting to the MTL from a Mac?

Hi there,I'm trying to connect to the Manycore Testing Lab from a Mac and so far not having much luck.Can any of you give me some pointers?The VPN software I have, Viscosity, seems to require a certificate for all of it's connection types; I couldn't find any mention of this in the Getting Started Guide and so far I haven't been able to guess the right settings.I've also tried connecting directly via ssh, to each of the three IP addresses given in the Getting Started Guide and all three simply timed out.So I'm a bit stuck right now and any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!Vil.

11 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.

The only solution we can provide is for you to provide us your IP address, and then you should be able to connect (via SSH) directly without using VPN. Alternatively you may want to look as one of the Widows Virtual PC solutions for the Mac.

Unfortunately we dont have many users using the Macso definitive solutionsfor this issue are minimal right now.

Thanks for the response Mike. I'm on a dynamic IP address here, so adding me won't work for long. I'll reboot into Linux and try connecting from that instead - it looks like that might be the easiest route. Cheers for the help,Vil.

Hi,
I am able to login to the system from my Mac without any issue. I use Cisco VPN client and I set up a new VPN profile according to the settings provided in the email. After connecting to the VPN, I was able to ssh into the acan001 server.However, I am not sure if it is normal that I can no longer connect to internet from my system or from the server after I connect to the vpn. For example I can't pull or push data from my svn repo on the machine.Regards,Dinesh Agarwal

Glad to hear about your sucesses connecting with the MTL from your Mac.

But as you say once you've established the VPN tunnel to the MTL, you're unable to connect to the internet - this is normal with this Cisco VPN client and is highlighted (I believe)in the getting started guide.

As you have a workable Mac VPN client - can you respond with a link to that client, so we can share with the MTL community.

Hi,I was offered the Client from my school's network. It requires a valid id and password to download it. However, if one needs to know the name of the file or support getting started I think this page might come handy:http://www.gsu.edu/help/27903.htmlRegards,Dinesh

Quoting Mike Pearce (Intel)
Glad to hear about your sucesses connecting with the MTL from your Mac.

But as you say once you've established the VPN tunnel to the MTL, you're unable to connect to the internet - this is normal with this Cisco VPN client and is highlighted (I believe)in the getting started guide.

As you have a workable Mac VPN client - can you respond with a link to that client, so we can share with the MTL community.

I found the link to Cisco's client which is available for free on their website. Please get it from:http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/ImageList.x?relVer=4.9.01.0... this link desn;t work try downloading version 4.X fromhttp://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/Redirect.x?mdfid=270636499

Unfortunately, I believe you'll need to register (and have a service contract)to download a copy of the Mac VPN from the Cisco site. Alternatively you can easily Google: CiscoVPNClient.dmgand find several sites with available downloads - Intel of coursedoes not warrant any of these copies on these sitesto be free from viruses, etc. - user beware.

Quoting Mike Pearce (Intel)
Unfortunately, I believe you'll need to register (and have a service contract)to download a copy of the Mac VPN from the Cisco site. Alternatively you can easily Google: CiscoVPNClient.dmgand find several sites with available downloads - Intel of coursedoes not warrant any of these copies on these sitesto be free from viruses, etc. - user beware.

Yeah, I noticed that what you said is correct. However, I guess, almost all schools have their own softwares that can be used for VPN purposes.

> once you've established the VPN tunnel to the MTL, 
> you're unable to connect to the internet -
> this is normal with this Cisco VPN client 
> and is highlighted (I believe) in the getting started guide.

I don't think it's normal - I think it's a question of server configuration.

I see it works otherwise when I access my school's VPN from home.
They will only re-route packets in their address range (141.57.0.0),
and the others go the normal route, cf.

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
141.57.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 tun0
0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0

while Intel's VPN insists on re-routing all traffic:

... 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 tun0

Is there a security reason for that? It is a major inconvenience.

By the way, I am using the vpnc client 
that comes with Ubuntu http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/vpnc

with a config file like this:

IPSec gateway X.X.X.X  <== called "Host" in the MTL "new account" email
IPSec ID X <==  "Name"
IPSec Secret X <==  "Password"
Xauth username X <==  "your account name"
Xauth password X <==  the password for "your account name"

I hope this information is helpful for other newcomers. - J.W.

> Intel's VPN insists on re-routing all traffic:

OK, I got selective routing to work, meanwhile.

If you're on Debian, read /usr/share/doc/vpnc/README.gz
it contains an example /etc/vpnc/custom-script file
that can be used (just adapt one line that contains the IP address)

J.W.

Laisser un commentaire

Veuillez ouvrir une session pour ajouter un commentaire. Pas encore membre ? Rejoignez-nous dès aujourd’hui