Linking problem with libitm

Linking problem with libitm

Hi,

I am trying to create a shared library that uses some functions defined in itmuser.h If I use _ITM_getThreadnum function following error occurs:

relocation R_X86_64_32S against `_ITM_nvFunctions' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

way to reproduce:

#include 

void foo()
{
  int thread_num = _ITM_getThreadnum();
}

and then compile with icc -shared -Qtm_enabled -fbuiltin

Is this expected behavior?

Thanks,
Dennis

5 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.

Quoting - iddqd
Hi,

I am trying to create a shared library that uses some functions defined in itmuser.h If I use _ITM_getThreadnum function following error occurs:

relocation R_X86_64_32S against `_ITM_nvFunctions' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

way to reproduce:

#include 

void foo()
{
  int thread_num = _ITM_getThreadnum();
}

and then compile with icc -shared -Qtm_enabled -fbuiltin

Is this expected behavior?

Thanks,
Dennis

Yes, this is the expected behavior. Use -fPIC when created shared objects

Quoting - Ravi Narayanaswamy (Intel)

Yes, this is the expected behavior. Use -fPIC when created shared objects

sorry, I just forget to mention -fPIC option in previous post. it does not work with -fPIC too

icc -shared -Qtm_enabled -fbuiltin -fPIC test.c
ld: /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/606/lib/intel64/libitm.a(dynamic_linkage.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S against `_ITM_nvFunctions' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/606/lib/intel64/libitm.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

Quoting - iddqd

sorry, I just forget to mention -fPIC option in previous post. it does not work with -fPIC too

icc -shared -Qtm_enabled -fbuiltin -fPIC test.c
ld: /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/606/lib/intel64/libitm.a(dynamic_linkage.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S against `_ITM_nvFunctions' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/606/lib/intel64/libitm.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

Unfortunately the libitm.a was not built with -fPIC so you will not be able to create shared objects with libitm.a

what worked for me was to link the shared itm lib explicitly:
icc -shared -Qtm_enabled -fbuiltin -litmdyn
i'm not sure whether things work afterwards for you but compilation and execution seems to work.

Laisser un commentaire

Veuillez ouvrir une session pour ajouter un commentaire. Pas encore membre ? Rejoignez-nous dès aujourd’hui