New curriculum planning exercise to be part of Faculty Training 2.1

New curriculum planning exercise to be part of Faculty Training 2.1

Curriculum Application Planning Exercise

I wanted to get some feedback from the community on some new exercises we will be covering in our Faculty training series. The new exercises will take about 30 minutes and we plan to offer one exercise per day of training at the end of each training day. These new exercises are called Curriculum Application Planning Exercise. The purpose of the exercise is to choose one topic from the material presented in class each day that can be recommended to be included in a course currently being taught at your institution. The resulting recommendation should identify any lecture and lab materials that you feel would support the effort to include the selected topic into your curriculum.

My hope is that such an exercise at the end of each day will give all participants some ideas of how to include the materials in their curriculums in practical ways. For these exercises attendees of the class will group with others from the same institution or with individuals from other institutions to discuss impact topics from the days sessions and draw up recommendations for how to include a selected topic into an existing course. Each exercise consists of the same three activities listed below, applied to eac days topics.

I would like to get community feedback on these proposed exercises. Are they appropriate? Would they be meaningful?

The 30 minutes exercise will consist of the three activities below and these exercises will be inlcudedin Faculty Training 2.1 going forward.

Comments or feedback on these exercises are welomed!

Activity 1 Individual Exercise 10 Min
Working individually, take 10 minutes to make a list of three topics covered today that you felt had the highest impact. In accessing impact, consider topics that might be applicable to a course you have recently taught or a course you will teach within the next two terms. (If you do not teach any courses in your current role then consider a course that in your experience best applies.) Use the forms below to note your choices and the relationship to your courses.

Topic 1:
Recommended for Course:
Choose appropriate instruction level (1st year, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, graduate level, etc)
Is this a core or elective course:
How does this topic fit into the syllabus of the course?

To add this topic to an existing course, the existing course syllabus would have to be amended. How would you amend the selected course syllabus to accommodate this new material?

Are there any other topics that would need to be added to the syllabus of this course to support the addition of the new topic?

What prerequisites do feel must be learned prior to a student being introduced to these materials? If your chosen course has prerequisites, what additions to the pre-requisite courses would need to be made in order to prepare students to take the course with the added topic?

What student exercises or student projects can be derived from today's materials that can help students better understand this topic in your chosen course.

Activity 2 Group Exercise 10 Min
As a group, select a scribe who will take notes during this group exercise. Also, select a spokesman who will report out the findings from the group discussion.
Take a minute or two for each group member to present their choice of high impact topic and the course that this topic would fit into from the previous activity. Select one course to report out on as a group. The course that the group selects will be referred to as the "group course" for the remainder of the activities in this module.

The objective of this exercise is to draft a brief recommendation on ways to amend the group course by adding concepts or labs covered today. In your recommendation, consider some of the following questions:

How would you change the syllabus of the group course to accommodate this new material?

What supporting student exercises or student projects would need to be added to the syllabus in order to help students better understand the chosen topic?

What prerequisites do feel must be learned prior to a student being introduced to the relevant topic materials?

Activity 3 Report Out 10 Min
Each group in the class will conduct a brief report (less than 3 minutes) on the recommendations from Activity 1B. Select one member of your group to report out on the group course activity. Describe the group course from the previous activity along with any recommendations posited by your group for the course in question.
Select a member of the group to post a report on your group's recommendations to the ISC Academic forums. Be sure to include the short course synopsis, topics and specific material recommended to be added to this course, any additional student exercises that might be needed, plus any prerequisite course recommendations the group uncovered.

4 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.

Quoting - Robert Chesebrough (Intel)

I wanted to get some feedback from the community on some new exercises we will be covering in our Faculty training series. The new exercises will take about 30 minutes and we plan to offer one exercise per day of training at the end of each training day. These new exercises are called Curriculum Application Planning Exercise. The purpose of the exercise is to choose one topic from the material presented in class each day that can be recommended to be included in a course currently being taught at your institution. The resulting recommendation should identify any lecture and lab materials that you feel would support the effort to include the selected topic into your curriculum.

My hope is that such an exercise at the end of each day will give all participants some ideas of how to include the materials in their curriculums in practical ways. For these exercises attendees of the class will group with others from the same institution or with individuals from other institutions to discuss impact topics from the days sessions and draw up recommendations for how to include a selected topic into an existing course. Each exercise consists of the same three activities listed below, applied to eac days topics.

I would like to get community feedback on these proposed exercises. Are they appropriate? Would they be meaningful?

The 30 minutes exercise will consist of the three activities below and these exercises will be inlcudedin Faculty Training 2.1 going forward.

Comments or feedback on these exercises are welomed!

Activity 1 Individual Exercise 10 Min
Working individually, take 10 minutes to make a list of three topics covered today that you felt had the highest impact. In accessing impact, consider topics that might be applicable to a course you have recently taught or a course you will teach within the next two terms. (If you do not teach any courses in your current role then consider a course that in your experience best applies.) Use the forms below to note your choices and the relationship to your courses.

Topic 1:
Recommended for Course:
Choose appropriate instruction level (1st year, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, graduate level, etc)
Is this a core or elective course:
How does this topic fit into the syllabus of the course?

To add this topic to an existing course, the existing course syllabus would have to be amended. How would you amend the selected course syllabus to accommodate this new material?

Are there any other topics that would need to be added to the syllabus of this course to support the addition of the new topic?

What prerequisites do feel must be learned prior to a student being introduced to these materials? If your chosen course has prerequisites, what additions to the pre-requisite courses would need to be made in order to prepare students to take the course with the added topic?

What student exercises or student projects can be derived from today's materials that can help students better understand this topic in your chosen course.

Activity 2 Group Exercise 10 Min
As a group, select a scribe who will take notes during this group exercise. Also, select a spokesman who will report out the findings from the group discussion.
Take a minute or two for each group member to present their choice of high impact topic and the course that this topic would fit into from the previous activity. Select one course to report out on as a group. The course that the group selects will be referred to as the "group course" for the remainder of the activities in this module.

The objective of this exercise is to draft a brief recommendation on ways to amend the group course by adding concepts or labs covered today. In your recommendation, consider some of the following questions:

How would you change the syllabus of the group course to accommodate this new material?

What supporting student exercises or student projects would need to be added to the syllabus in order to help students better understand the chosen topic?

What prerequisites do feel must be learned prior to a student being introduced to the relevant topic materials?

Activity 3 Report Out 10 Min
Each group in the class will conduct a brief report (less than 3 minutes) on the recommendations from Activity 1B. Select one member of your group to report out on the group course activity. Describe the group course from the previous activity along with any recommendations posited by your group for the course in question.
Select a member of the group to post a report on your group's recommendations to the ISC Academic forums. Be sure to include the short course synopsis, topics and specific material recommended to be added to this course, any additional student exercises that might be needed, plus any prerequisite course recommendations the group uncovered.

Hello,

we are from university of stuttgart in Germany. We think what we learned in the first day is very helpful if it will be involved in the undergraduate course namely introduction to parallel programming.

to be continued...

Quoting - Robert Chesebrough (Intel)

Feeback on Day1 Contents Part1.

Hi, I am Raza, research assistant at Department of Programming languages and Compiler Construction, University of Stuttgart. I have attended the Workshop offered by intel in Stuttgart.

I have grind hard to find the suitability of presented contents in our courses. First and foremost, I think the introduction of parallel programming should become a part of programming course. We teach students to program sequentialy and ignore to enlighten the affect of underlying architecture of machines on their programs. Therefore, after giving a good understanding of sequential programming we should teach students how to make them parallel, and how to program parallely from scratch to gain benefit from hardware (etc Multiple core)

The 2 phase course can be made as follows
(i) Sequential Programming (introduction and algorithms)
(ii) Parallel Programming ( A blink of hardware architechture, introduction and Algorithms and Patterns)

Further, one can add OpenMP, Posix Threads etc.. in exercises...

Although, I cannot influence the contents of Introduction to programming course.. I am planning to add analysis of parallel program in courses offered by our department.

I will be back soon with comments on day2..

Regards,

Feedback Day 1 Part 2..

Now about the second part of my comments on day 1. In third sesssion we had an overview on Integrated Architecture & Tools, which is in my opioning integrable into computer architecture course. It would be better to give students an earlier introduction to parallel architectures. The maximum benefit will be achieved when intorduction to parallel program and architecure taught together in first semester.

Regards,

Laisser un commentaire

Veuillez ouvrir une session pour ajouter un commentaire. Pas encore membre ? Rejoignez-nous dès aujourd’hui