Cell Computer Project

Cell Computer Project

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello everyone,

I would like to show my project:

Cell Computer Project

http://genetechnics.webs.com/

I have been working on it for a year and a half - there is a thread on the Cellular & Handheld Application Development forum that is read-only since this month and I would like to discuss the ideas of the project on this forum.

Best regards,

Michael Molin

GeneTechnics Company

269 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.
Portrait de Lester Memmott (Intel)

Michael,

Your posting is a bit too open ended. What exactly would you like to discuss in this forum? Best regards with your project.

Thanks,
Lester

Portrait de mihail_m

Thanks for your response, Lester.

I would like to discuss the mobile software development concerning the two displays concept as for the prototype device in my project. I think this tendency is promising considering the design of Nintendo DS and DS Lite with two horizontally oriented displays. The key idea is to distribute the navigation (menu, dialogs, external links - ads) to the second display-keyboard for better presentation of core information (documents, projects, the content of Web sites) on the main display.

Regards,

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello everyone,

Recently I have finished the development ofthe operating system's concept for the cell computer. I would really appreciate your comments and additions.

Also, there is good news - a prototype of the future two display UI's implementation.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/12/13/sony.ericsson.concept/

Regards,

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello,

I would like to thank Bill Gates for his keynote at CES 2007. He really gave me the exact definition of the cell computer - connected experiences means connected user interfaces.

Regards,

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello everyone,

I have renamed the project. Now it's called "Cell Computer Platform".

Regards,

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello,

I would like to thank Clayne Robison for his post on Intel Software Network Blogs and useful contribution: an exact abbreviation for cell computer platform - a cell PC.

The fact is that since launching a new look for blogs I've tried several times to comment posts but Wordpress server doesn't answer until I send a comment second time but anyway it doesn't post it. Well, it's a long way from Western Siberia :o) BTW, it was -47 C here this morning.

Regards,

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Some highlights:

1. Implementation of Microsoft Office 2007 Fluent UI.

2. Clear view of Web content in a document window of the main display and easy navigation using the site map located on the second display.

3. Internet advertising - showing the standard size banners and contextual advertisements on the second display.

4. Local advertising channel for network operators - broadcasting of SMS and MMS messages for showing them as slides on the second display.

Regards,

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello everyone,

I would like to sharethe link to the article of Bernard Cole, author of many publications on embedded systems design. I wrote a commentary to this article:

http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=46200869

In addition to the post, I found some very good news on EETimes website about a new power-saving method for LCD and OLED displays due to a special layout of subpixels.

PenTile RGBW display technology, Clairvoyante Inc.

http://www.mobilehandsetdesignline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193502156

Also, this article about the technology:

http://www.digitaljournalonline.com/news/125/ARTICLE/1204/2006-10-08.html

Regards,

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello,

Really good news this morning - Motorola V9m.

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2093/9/

It has 2-inch touch-sensitive external display. The next standard for multimedia phones.It's a big step to thecell PC. Bravo, Motorola! Now, my hope on Apple and Microsoft to create the Cell PC Platform basedon new Intel's processors.

Regards,

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

I've changed the layout of the Compact QWERTY Keyboard in a symbols department. The question mark is forming a line with comma and dot now. It's perfect.

Michael

Portrait de Jason Zhu (Intel)

Interestinginformation.

At Intel Developer Forum 2007, Intel announcedthe Ultra Mobile Platform 2007, formerly codenamed "McCaslin", designed for use in Ultra-Mobile PCs (UMPC) and in Mobile Internet Devices (MID).

Here is a video "Ultra Mobile: It Lets Me be Me", shows the future usages of emerging ultra mobile terminal devices, which will bring full PC capabilities and anywhere, anytime Internet experience to end users.

One example of new ultra mobile terminal is HTC's Shift based on Intel McCaslin platform, supporting 3G, which will be available in 2H, 2007.

Jason

Portrait de mihail_m

"I tend to believe that the phone will move up and the PC will move down and there won't be any special devices categories, because the power of being able to run any applications, wither it's media, reading, navigation, is very strong," Gates said."

Second that.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/17/gates_desktop_phone_office/

"While the PDA has existed as a sort of mini-PC for years, Microsoft said it would encourage phone manufacturers to formalize the transition of the phone to a mobile PC.

Microsoft Research chief Craig Mundie said that Microsoft has a research project called "Fone+" that would allow the phone to work with a TV as a secondary display, and one that could allow video stored on the device to be played back on the television.

"I think that the Microsoft view is that the PC will continue to evolve in many radical ways including the most radical architectural changes in 30 years," Mundie said. "I think that this will occur in about five years time." The challenge for WinHEC attendees was to make that happen, he said."

http://www.physorg.com/news98525702.html

"People are recognizing how important technology is, how the combination of technology and service is a very strong combination." - aQuantive CEO Brian McAndrews.

The combination of digital TV and mobile advertising solutions based on Microsoft Silverlight and SideShow technologies, I would add.

http://www.adweek.com/aw/national/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003588021

"Display maker Samsung SDI Co., Ltd. unveiled Thursday (May 17) what it claimed is the world's thinnest active-matrix organic light emitting diode (AM-OLED) display module for mobile phones. The display uses low-temperature polysilicon technology.

Samsung SDI said its 0.52-mm-thin, 2.2-inch AM-OLED module approaches the dimensions of a 1.7-mm TFT-LCD module considered to be the slimmest among the existing LCD modules available for mass production.

"We plan to mass produce the new AM-OLED module during the third quarter of this year," said Yoo Eui-Jin, vice president of AM-OLED Business at Samsung SDI. He added that Samsung SDI is "completely ready now" to begin volume production of the new module once orders are received.

The new module, developed using Samsung's proprietary "module slimming" technology, features QVGA (240 by 320) resolution and a 10,000:1 contrast ratio.

A Samsung SDI spokesman said display module power consumption, on average, is as much as 40 percent less than the existing TFT-LCDs.

Samsung expects to produce about 15 million AM-OLED modules per month for a wide range of handset displays, according to Yoo."

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199601524

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello everyone,

This time I would like to share the link to the demo of the phone with TV having a very good design - Casio W52CA. The demo also shows how the rotary mechanism of the display is working - I'm planning to use the principles of this design in the cell PC. The dimensions of Casio W52CA - W49H104D21mm.

http://k-tai.casio.jp/products/w52ca/

Michael

Hi Michael,

I can not read the content in Japanese. I guess that it is phone which allow user to watch the TV on phone screen, but do not know what distribution mechanism for TV content being adopted on this phone.

TV is an attractive usage on mobile terminals, from big screen notebook PC, to portable size UMPC and MID, and to smaller screen mobile phone. According to the trend of convergence of Computer, Communication, CE and Content, more and more mobile users can watch TV on the go, and multiple technologies are being used and tried to offer the service, including DVB-T&H, ISDB-T, T-DMB, S-DMB, MediaFlo, etc. Here is the article of "mobile TV: opportunities and challenges". UI is a big challenge for mobile TV applications.

What do you think of Mobile TV?

Jason

Portrait de mihail_m

Hi Jason,

I think we aren't there until a breakthrough in battery technologies for the capacity at least ten times higher or launching new high-performance processors with lower power consumption accordingly.

In general, I consider the UMPCs and MIDs as the best choice for mostly a stationary car-based media center and GPS navigator. When they will have the SSDs with big capacity, they would also be a good storage device for photo and video files.

As for the Internet, I would be sceptical enough to call the UMPC and MID platforms a proper choice for Web browsing on the go - zooming of Web sites used now is not a part of Web experience on the standard PC platform. So the subnotebooks with 11 and 12-inch displays are the optimal choice for mobile computing as the most portable devices with standard keys and a proper display for running a desktop OS and applications now.

In addition, it's a reality that the only device we are using for everyday's communications anytime and anyplace is a cell phone. And my goal to make access to the Web content on "optimized for Mobile Web" sites really comfortable on a cell PC by providing a separate display for the site menu and advertisements.

It's a mobile advertising solution for businesses and network operators - everyone will have an additional ad screen that would make it a really effective tool for broadcasting business information.

Michael

Portrait de jonas-kollberg (Intel)

Hi,

Why would battery life be so important for Mobile TV?

If we take DVB-H as an example it has a lot of battery saving features bulit in, and thus you can watch TV for longer time than you can watch a movie from the harddrive or DVD drive. Thus most terminals should be able to handle 2-4 hours a least today.

I would not think that people will watch mobile TV for hours and hours, so I would guess batterylife is one of the least obstacles mobile TV has to cross.

How many hours of mobile TV would you imagine you would watch in a day?

Best Regards

Jonas

Portrait de mihail_m

Hi Jonas,

Any video on a mobile device is power-consuming. I don't imagine that anyone would watch TV on a small screen when he/she has a big TV.

Michael

I agree; when people are at home, they prefer watching a big-screen TV. That's the concept of Apple iTV, which brings the features of YouTube and displayvideo to a big-screen TV.

But people still want to watch TV or video while on the go. If they have a half hour or more of free time while moving from one place to another, say on a train or in the airport, it makes sense they would watch mobile TV for a while. Power consumption and battery life are important for the notebook, UMPC and MID; the existing technologies and products are good enough to support TV playback for more than two hours.

Will you agree that Mobile TV will hava a big potential market?

Jason

Portrait de mihail_m

The success of any service depends on its price and availability of competing services. Video on demand is far more profitable and more comfortable for users to plan when they have the time to watch it. The root is in the availability of the unlimited data plans for reasonable price. For example, GPRS (some operators offer Mobile TV via this technology) costs about 0.3$ for 1Mb. Another question is network load while extensive data transfer.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello everyone,

At last, I have the time to read and watch Steve Jobs' interview at D conference.

First, I like his "hobby" attitude to the new areas of business. Fairly. My project is also like a hobby - my main research is focused on AI-based expert translation. The technology that mirrors two languages - English and Russian.

The part of his interview I would like to emphasize is:

"Walt Mossberg - On the technical side... could a Mac OS X app run on an iPhone?

Steve Jobs - We don't think that's a good idea. We don't have a mouse, we don't have pull-down menus... we have a very different user interface on the phone."

Why to just stop on an AV player and phone? It's an Apple's chance to win the market and everyone would forget about the cell phone as a category as we did about the pagers. And the developers would get a standard platform.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Update:

"In a telephone interview on Monday morning after the deal was announced, Mr. McNamee explained that the rationale for the investment is found in the rapid innovation that is changing cellphones into computers and entertainment devices. He said the hand-held computing world is still in its infancy and that designs and rapid innovation will continue to proliferate, making it impossible for several large players to dominate the market for software or hardware.

Microsoft is going to be a big factor, but at the same time I dont think that this category has shown any tendency at this point to follow the PC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/05/technology/05palm.html

Really a chess game in the industry.

Apple? Microsoft?

Michael

Portrait de jonas-kollberg (Intel)

All operators in Sweden include TV in their 3G offerings and dont charge for that bandwidth at all. So here the service is avilible and ready to use for anyone. When the network is full with this traffic, the time is ripe for a move towards DVB-H.

So mobile TV is here. And very interesting is that all trials and evaluations done shows people watch 20-40% of the total TV time at home! While cooking, in bed just before they fall asleep and so on. So I dont agree everybody want the big TV always. I watch the news on my mobile phone all the time for example.

People will not watch 2 hours films on the mobile device, but news, short episodes, live sports on the go and other thingswill probably be very popular? Dont you agree?

Thanks

/Jonas

Portrait de mihail_m

That's great if it's included in the package. I heard that in South Korea it's free at all. And people really save the power of their devices yet while they're on the go.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello,

Some more great news today:

Google promises mobile software platform to challenge Windows

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/06/08/google_mobile_software_platform/

My guess is that it would be a combination of Sun's JavaFX with Google's apps suite based on the Palm's Linux platform.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

And the news I've been waiting for since IDF, September 2006:

Paul Otellini - "The importance of the new Silverthorne chip is only comparable with the 8088 processor or Pentium, he told the FAZ. The executive said that the company will create a 45 nm Silverthorne product family and aim to capture the top 10 to 20% of the cellphone business."

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32404/118/

That requires a device with a standard cell phone form factor providing computer functionality - Cell PC Platform.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Anyone remember the ending of Spielberg's "Minority Report"? I mean the cell "micro"phone. What do you think about the future of the phones? My view is that, for example, Casio electronic watches with anumeric keypadcould include phone functionality and work with aBluetooth headsetin not-so-far future. I found thatalready in 2000 Casio launched Pathfinder GPS watch concept. Also, this concept device.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Really nice.

Nintendo DS web browser comes to America - Engadget

I would like to distinguish the Japanese designers. Nintendo DS is a haiku for the future of mobile computing. Also, one of the recent launches is a remarkable achievement - the concept of connected UIs is now working for a clamshell design - Mitsubishi D800iDS.

The goal of the cell PC project - 3,2-inch main display (16:9) and 3-inch second display (4:3) for a form factor (53mm x 103mm).

Michael

McCaslin, now known as the Intel ultra mobile platform 2007, features A100/A110 cpu and the Intel 945 chipset, many hardware vendors are developing UMPCs and MIDs based on McCaslin; for example, Samsung's recently announced Q1 Ultra.

Menlow is the next generation ultra mobile platform for 2008, which will significantly improve the performance, power consumption, sizeand cost, and Silverthone is core processor based on Lower Power IA architecture in Menlow platform. It will bring PC computing into portable handheld and phones.

Jason

Portrait de mihail_m

It's great, Jason. The most important thing is that the new processing power would match the new functionality of applications. To the level of fully functional desktop applications.

Seamless experiences as a motto of Microsoft.

Ray Ozzie - "Our dream is to deliver a seamless experience where all the technology in your life and business comes together in a way that just works for you" - Microsoft

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Toshiba develops new 3D NAND flash technology

- DigiTimes

Kodak lets light shine in with fourth-pixel advance

- EE Times

Interesting that it looks like this technology (earlier Kodak's PIXELUX technology) complements PenTile RGBW display technology I wrote about two months ago in this thread. Real progress in all fields. Further, the next example of a laconic and reliable design:

Test Drive a Porsche Cell Phone

"The device features a large swivel screen made with an organic, light-emitting diode display"

- BusinessWeek

And, in addition to the universal remote controls:

Windows Vista SideShow Devices

- TEXYT

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Some tech rag in a style of Valleywag:

IBM - spades, Intel - clubs, Microsoft - diamonds, Apple - hearts.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

To the point, the new system of typing:

The keys of the top and middle rows of the standard QWERTY keyboard are designated for the middle finger, the bottom row and Space key - for the index finger. Thumb typing with one hand is used as an additional method.

Michael

Michael,

The Sideshow PDA seems interesting, I guess that it is running on Windows CE OS instead of Vista, but capable to connect to Vista PC for synchronizing the data (email, calendar, address book) between PC and PDA.

I wonder there is anything special on slideshow PDA, many other devices can do, smart-phone like RIM's Blackberry, UMPC like Samsung's Q1 Ultra, MID likes HTC Shift and Nokia N800.

Jason

Portrait de mihail_m

Jason,

Why do you need these devices? I think that for a PC platform the displays less than 11-12 inches are downgrading user experience. I started to work with computers in the middle of eighties and then 14-inch display was standard. Now even webpages are developed for 17 and 19-inch widescreen displays. And software too.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Yahoo Signs Deal With Carriers in Asia, Launches Mobile Software

http://www.wirelessweek.com/article.aspx?id=149518

"With the tremendous consumer response to date we believe that Yahoo! Go will be a catalyst for broader adoption of the mobile Internet," said Marco Boerries, executive vice president of the Connected Life Division at Yahoo!, in a company statement.

Very reasonable strategy. For a comfortable access to the information anytime anywhere on the go. Not just to one column of the New York Times which width casually coincides with the screen's width as in iPhone's video. Mobile Web means mobile advertising when everyone has a personal ad screen in addition to full access to the private information on the main display. And the ads are displayed before a site's menu for seamless browsing the sections of a Mobile Web site.

Cell phone is an outdated category - even the No.1 maker of cell phones Nokia admits it naming the new models as multimedia computers. Yes, in order to work with the mobile Internet everyone needs a computer - a cell PC. This hardware platform is also the most important catalyst for its broader adoption in addition to Yahoo's initiative.

Also, join the discussion:

Does technology have a role in community development? by Perry Gruber

MWI: Leading Mobile Web Access to Its Full Potential by Philipp Hoschka

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello everyone,

Just a scientific question:

IBM Says Supercomputer Is Three Times Faster Than Prior Model

I can't understand how computer can beat a human in chess (remember, 1997, Gary Kasparov). It can only defend in order not to lose the game. Otherwise, it uses someone else's tactics.

To the point:

Why to downgrade the PC user experience by shrinking display size when you can improve cell phones (don't mix up with a PDA phone - iPhone) users' experience?

Noone cancelled ergonomics - in order to hold a device with comfort it has to be utmost 53 mm wide - I trust Motorola absolutely. In order to touch type - the three fingers starting from the index one have to be placed on the keys freely so the three keys have to be 54 mm wide - 1868, Christopher Sholes.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

How wonderful!

Apple IPhone Reviewers Say It Lives Up to Hype, Inspires Lust

May God bless them. I found the links to these reviews:

The iPhone Is a Breakthrough Handheld Computer - Wall Street Journal

Apple's iPhone isn't perfect, but it's worthy of the hype - USA Today

The iPhone Matches Most of Its Hype - The New York Times

I'd like just to say: iPhone is a transition to the world of cell PCs. Everyone on Earth will want an iPhone with a MotoRAZR design. Just by combining 100 million numbers.

"It's an Apple's chance to win the market." - my comments on Steve Jobs's interview at D conference in this thread.

Microsoft also has this chance. In order to make a mobile version of Office 2007 for "all the technology in your life and business comes together" as Ray Ozzie said.

I trust Intel as a hardware platform provider for Microsoft and Apple.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello,

Just a synchronization of the posts on Intel Software Network - Poll: Your ideas for Intel SL Events! by Gina B. on "Intel and Second Life" forum, ISN blog's post If you havent already, check out Intels presence in Second Life! by Maryann Iannitti and my suggestion for the themes of SL discussions:

Software Development for an iPhone as a Mobile Internet Device.

I think this is a very important for the Mobile Web development, first of all. With its launch, iPhone is a renewed PDA platform (which is an Apple's concept initially) for mobile versions of web sites allowing to create applications with dynamic interfaces for running in Safari browser environment.

I know that Intel provides processors for Apple TV so I think that there is a possibility that new Intel's mobile platforms planned for launching next year could also be provided for future versions of iPhone. And, in addition, it's a very popular theme now.

Recent news: Ajax SDK for Apple iPhone

And I agree with Gael Holmes: "why go to Linux when you can have the real "unix" based OS, which is MAC OS?>- in the discussion of "Is Mobile Linux really ready for Prime Time?" post.

I always consider Linux as a system developed for developers not ordinary people where there is not caring about a user interface and the development is focused on working in network environment as easily deployed low-cost servers - that's what IBM and Oracle demonstrate successfully.

As for mobile devices - not so good experience of cell phone users has the same roots - the kind of attitude like "it works so why to work more on UI details". People need a good interface and Apple brings it to them.

Apple's success is just explained by the fact that professional graphic artists choose Mac OS as a working platform. And the only company also working on this level - Microsoft.

And, in addition, are the Apple's PDA, Microsoft's Pocket PC and Intel's MID (video from Jason's post - also, an extended version) concepts actually having the same goals, aren't they?

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Hello everyone,

Sometimes it's amazing when you find the hidden possibilities in what you've created. This time, I would like to talk about the external controls of the cell PC platform.

In most cases, we're using the cell phone just to answer calls and make them by using the Recent Contacts list. So, for this, the case of the cell PC is closed and the main display is turned around. The external controls are used - the hinge and the bottom strip under the second display have three sensor buttons (like small ribbons for the buttons in the corners and like circles for the middle buttons) on each side. When you answering, you are holding the device in one hand and pressing the bottom left button to start speaking (there are titles of the buttons on the display above), the bottom right button - to end a call, the bottom middle button - Recent Contacts that are scrolled down using the bottom left and right buttons (PgUp, PgDown for the top left and right buttons), the second pressing of the bottom middle button is used to start dialing.

The same six buttons perform the functions of control for using the cell PC as a game console - the main display is in a landscape mode. The bottom left and right buttons - arrows left and right; the top left and right buttons - arrows down and up; the middle left button - Menu; the middle right button - the Enter key. When the Menu button is selected - the top and bottom right buttons are for scrolling it down. The top and bottom left buttons in this mode are used for extra settings. Also, these six buttons are used in AV playing and recording modes and for taking photos - there are titles or icons for the buttons on the main display overlapped on the image in a control mode.

Another everyday life's situation when using a virtual keyboard may not be preferred - it's raining, for example. Then, you can use the control panel - you press, say, F7 and now the F1-F8 - 1-8; arrows up and down - 9,0; arrows left and right - *,#. The Enter key works as a Send key as usual. Also, speed dialing - you press and hold one of the F1-F8 keys more than 2 seconds.

So, when the device is set in these modes, the touch sensitivity of the displays is turned off and it's proof against the errors of random touches while operating the device - the flexibility and reliability of the plarform for using in all standard modes of a modern cell phone or game console. The touch sensitivity of the displays is turned on in a cell PC mode.

And, in addition, some ideas about using of light indication for a virtual keyboard. Each time when you touch the key, it's highlighted over the surface for one second and then gradually dims. Also, the control keys as Ctrl, Alt, Shift are highlighted when being activated and then, in three seconds, they are disactivated automatically if the key combination has not been continued.

So, you don't need to look at the main display every time - you can check only sentences or paragraphs of text. You're just typing. Moreover, if you wish, you can control which letters have been pressed in a word just by the setting that's making them in bold font (highlighted - the background is dark, by default, dark green for letters, dark blue for numbers and symbols) until the Space key is pressed after the word has been entered.

Michael

Michael,

thanks for the sharing.Here is thecomment on your post on July 2.

I think the industries (IT, telecommunications, and Internet services) all share the same vision for the new era of Mobile Internet. However, different companies embrace different trends depending on their area of expertise. Mobile telecom vendors are focusing their 3G efforts on wireless broadband for anywhere/anytime connection. Phone makers are developing smart phones or mobile handhelds to allow a mobile terminal to access the Internet, while silicon vendors like Intel want to deliver efficient Power Performance chips and platforms for a new generation of converged portable devices. OSVs and ISVs are creating new optimized software stacks to support end-to-end mobile Internet services. So we are all going for the same goal, and to make it happen we need more collaboration across the entire ecosystem of multiple industries.

Who will win? Considering the opportunities as well as the risks, definitely more than 1 device maker, more than 1 chip maker, and more than 1 service provider will gain big slices of a growing market.

Portrait de mihail_m

Yes, Jason, we need a new generation of converged portable devices. A unified platform for delivering mobile content and advertisements to users. And I remember the name of the winner in the industry previous time:

"IBM PC Compatible" becomes "Wintel"

"Software and compatibility amongst different PCs and hardware compatibility is no longer a major issue. There are other platforms in existence today (mostly the Apple Macintosh, which is now known as Mac), but they are a minority.

Thanks to intuitive user interfaces and the information-gathering and communications capabilities of the Internet, the computer has finally escaped from the domain of computer professionals and computer hobbyists, and has become mainstream."

Now we have a new standard - Apple iPhone. But do you know that the cell PC has the screen area that is one and half bigger than iPhone's while a cell PC is significantly more compact - 53x103 and 61x115 mm correspondingly.

That's the reason for the industry to make that move ahead. Games and Internet need it as before.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Though, this is the theme of the other ISN forum, it's main Intel's research for multi-cores and my major scientific project for AI. Join the discussion:

What would you do with 80 cores? by Sean Koehl

And new review and announcement:

Multi-core research update: the intimate coupling of software & hardware

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

A new discussion on IT@Intel blog:

Why can't a mobile phone just be a phone? by Heath Buckmaster

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

I love this game. Do you really believe that anyone would replace a half drunken bottle of beer or something at a party with any device except a cell phone?

Compact size and comfortable interface. Plus PC functionality using new mobile processors.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Samsung May Partner With Armani to Manufacture Mobile Phones

A new level? A Cell PC instead of the Q1?

Michael

I think Samsung wants to develop the cool phones for fashion users. iPhone is one good example of cool phone. The joint design work with Armani may be mainly focusing on ID design, but not software stack and UI applications, which is not the strength of Armani.

I am interested to see what 'Coool" stuff that they will bring to the market, and how will it compete with iPhone.

Portrait de mihail_m

I like that Samsung is making a real progress in many directions. Samsung is a No.1 innovator in the world - together with the Japanese electronics manufacturers (Sony Clie *NX70V*, NX80, TG50 and NZ90 and Sharp Zaurus SL-6000L and SL-C3000 are still just dream devices) which mostly work for their own market.

Now, Samsung is implementing new technology projects increasingly better with each model and what's the most important for all the world. It is a real leader in the industry. The most recent examples - Samsung SGH-P520 and F700 (compare it with HTC Touch). They really one-up HTC as a affiliated smartphone manufacturer for Microsoft exactly in this relation using the same Windows Mobile platform. And my hope for the future is Windows Mobile for Cell PC (like Windows XP for Tablet PC).

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

BTW, about my major project - AI-based expert translation.

One small step for IT projects

Also, some links about iPhone development:

Joe Hewitt presentation on iUI (Video)

Joe Hewitt's blog: Introducing iUI

Aptana IDE: iPhone Development Plugin

Actually, all those iPhone's limitations for users - "There are no gestures to perform cut, copy, paste, drag-and-drop, and text selection operations," could be easily overcome by using the combination of the keyboard and control panel of the Cell PC Platform.

For example, drag-and-drop operation for toolbars customization - the Enter key resembles a trackball for cursor navigation and by double-clicking it you can grab an icon, move it independently (even between the main and second displays - e.g. F6 key is used for toggling) and then put it at the right place by the next click.

This also enables working even with 2D and 3D graphic elements in the document window of the main display - by one click, the element can be selected and then scaled; the image of the element can be zoomed with two different scales using the arrow keys - by 100% (up and down) and by 10% (right and left); by double-clicking, the graphic object can be rotated or transformed using the arrow keys in combination with the control keys, and these editing operations could also be transferred to the external TV screen.

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Join the contest. My bid is Immanuel Kant.

Did Bradbury or Asimov Predict Multi-Core?

Actually, the multi-core computing as a really working model of the human brain is like landing of an expedition on the Moon in 2020 according to NASA plans. No one wants to live in Pripyat' near the Chernobyl' nuclear plant - the shield of magnetic field of the Earth protects any living and thinking creatures not to go out of it. The human brain uses perception (trasferring of original data that are saved in neural networks - memory) during the multithreading of sensory signals not computation (processing of original data). And the processing or combining them as a thinking or moving-ahead process is performed in one center for balancing body - cerebellum (for a description, read the article of Henrietta C. Leiner and Alan L. Leiner - link). Exactly, the cerebellum has turned our ancestors into people by balancing on two feet. And then, that's those exact movements learnt from the experience - a handy work that made a man in the process of evolution.

A cell has one core (PC platform) and many sensory mechanisms (attached processors of the Cell processor). This is the Cell processor model.

Computing is a sequential process as an ordinary program even when these processes are running on multiple processors or cores. In this relation, I'm remembering the article of Bernard Cole:

Virtual Machines, Cell's "apulets" and the future of connected computing

"If the application being sent or requested requires more processing than is available locally, additional compute resources are on the network, and, depending on timing constraints, are made available locally. Since all computing resources have the same basic structure and employ the same ISA, the particular resource performing this processing can be located anywhere on the network and can be dynamically assigned."

Also, the discussion on Research@Intel blog:

What Makes Parallel Programming Hard?

BTW, subscribe to CNET's podcast for every workday - Buzz Out Loud. I really like it. They are truly amazing and working on the level of the radio stars I have listened to - Laura Schlesinger (psychology) and Stephanie Miller (politics).

Michael

Portrait de mihail_m

Ballmer: Innovation Takes Time

That's the current politics of the party. Three to seven years. Too many contracts in the industry in order to change anything (e.g. Apple and AT&T for iPhone).

"When I arrived at Microsoft 27 years ago, there was a company that owned 70 percent of the IT industry."

"That company is still a fine company, but it is not that company that it was 27 years ago, in part because it lacked the patience to stay with their investments. It's ironic that IBM invented the personal computer business but is no longer a participant."

Now, the king and queen - Intel and Microsoft. But why to hold back the progress for longer term? Anyway, it can't be that way. When a really working light bulb was invented by Edison it has changed people's lives immediately. I would think about the other 27 years of Microsoft (Google is nigh). There is no other chance in the industry - "A Cell PC and Mobile Web 2.0 For Everyone". That's the politics.

World Ahead.

At WinHEC 2007, Craig Mundie, Chief Research and Strategy Officer, Microsoft said in his keynote:

"So, let me leave the developed world behind a little bit and go on now to a demonstration of what is going to happen in the emerging markets, and how the use of computing and other types of communications technologies is going to allow us to change that environment.

So, here we might expect that a lot of these people are going to live in an environment, maybe a rural village. The one thing that we do know today is that those people, they're buying computers. They happen to call them cell phones. Cell phones today and in the next few years will have microprocessors that rival the performance capabilities of the things that we all designed for and used as desktops not that many years ago. And the ability to use these not just for the traditional telephony activity but for other applications is going to become increasingly important."

That's really actual and concerns the developed world too. My goal - a personal compact-as-a-cell-phone computing device allowing to work with information on the go and at home using a TV screen. MID - 53x103 mm.

It is the real deal for developers and users due to a unique geometry of the two touch-screen UIs (full-screen document window (widescreen - 3.2") and 53 keys (8 mm wide) of the keyboard) and control panel (13 keys and a trackball).

Michael

Pages

Connectez-vous pour laisser un commentaire.