Update on Intel AppUp® encapsulator for the Intel AppUp® developer challenge: Web Apps Edition

Update on Intel AppUp® encapsulator for the Intel AppUp® developer challenge: Web Apps Edition

Portrait de kelli-gizzi (Intel)

To create Web apps for the new Intel AppUp® developer challenge: Web Apps Edition, you can use the Intel AppUp® encapsulator beta service to package your HTML/JavaScript/CSS applications for submission to the Intel AppUp center – and the Challenge. A new article, “HTML 5 Feature Compatibility of the Intel AppUp encapsulator,” was published by Intel AppUp engineer, Raghav Darisi, this week. http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/html5-feature-compatibility-... . It covers the Web application features supported (and the few not yet supported) by the Intel AppUp encapsulator beta service. If you are building a Web app for the Developer Challenge “Best of” categories and trying to win one of the UltraBook grand prizes, you should make sure the HTML 5 features you are using in your Web app are supported by the Intel AppUp encapsulator beta service. Note that in upcoming releases of the Intel AppUp encapsulator many of these unsupported items will be addressed. I will post updates and links to articles from our engineers, as new features are supported.

8 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.
Portrait de Arnaud Delcasse

Hello,

You say that we "can" use the Encapsulator for the submission : do we have to ?
Would it be possible to submit an HTML5 application packaged by ourselves inside a QtWebkit, and not using the encapsulator ?

Regards.

A. Delcasse

Portrait de Andreas Breitschopp

Hello Arnaud,

the problem is that you need to submit e. g. for Windows a compatible MSI file - no other format is supported.

Therefore I would say the easiert way is to just use the Encapsulator to generate the correct output file.

Best regards
Andreas

Portrait de Bob Duffy (Intel)

Hello Arnaud, Andreas is right that the easiest path is Encapsulator.

Technically however it is not the only path, but an alternative might mean some work.

You can feasibly build your own QtWebKit app (or Chromium, etc) to run on Windows, however to submit that app the app must have 2 things
1. Our SDK authentication code that does digital rights management and error reporting to the AppUp service using one of our SDKs, ie, C++, Java, or .NET
2. Package the app as an MSI with a silent installer per our guidelines

You can do the above by using the C++ SDK and creating a DLL wrapper for your QtWebKit app. There are many threads on doing that, and it is how Python apps, Unity apps etc are submitted to AppUp. You'll need to be careful about building the MSI yourself, again lots of threads on that here.

So its possible to go around Encapsulator, but Encapsulator automates all of this for you.

Portrait de Andy Idsinga (Intel)

Hey Arnaud - if you do go down the path of building your own hybrid HTML5 web app using QTWebkit directly (or even something like chromium embedded framework - http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/ ) one of our guys - Vladimir - wrote a post that shows you how to use the WIX tools to build an MSI package that is suitable for appup. Its a bit of a manual process - but totally doable.

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/blog/2011/09/22/what-are-my-options-packaging-windows-native-app-appup

Portrait de Bob Duffy (Intel)

Andy, that is So SWEET!!

Portrait de Arnaud Delcasse

Hello,

Thanks for your answers : I know that it might be easier to use the encapsulator to build the applications and create installation files. It was just to check if it's the only choice available (just to be clear).

One other question raises to my mind now : you're talking about MSI files : do we have to submit a Windows app to participate ? Isn't it possible to submit an app only for the MeeGo Appup Store (it would be an RPM then) ? Again, that's just a question, and it doesn't mean I won't use the encapsulator or I won't submit a Windows application ... But actually, if the contest is to create Windows apps, I'm much less interested ;)

B. Regards

Arnaud

Portrait de Andreas Breitschopp

Hello Arnaud,

as written here
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/developer-challenge-official-rules
you can either submit a MSI or a RPM file for you app to participate at the contest.

Best regards
Andreas

Connectez-vous pour laisser un commentaire.