strength reduction optimizations

strength reduction optimizations

Is it reasonable to assume most modern compilers will see float**2 and replace it with float*float? I'm trying to improve the readability of someone else's code, without sacrificing performance, although I'm sure it's been quite some time since the code has been profiled on current hardware.

-Zaak
3 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.

just to clarify, the actual variable is a multidimensional array with a longer name, and is being indexed/sliced, so typing the equivalent of float*float is much longer than typing the exponentiation.

-Zaak

Yes, all high quallty Fortran compilers I've seen in the last decade are expanding and optimizing **2 (some will do it even with the decimal point implying a real data type exponent).
You could try a limited test, simply assure that no exponentiation function call is introduced when you run nm on the .o file.

Laisser un commentaire

Veuillez ouvrir une session pour ajouter un commentaire. Pas encore membre ? Rejoignez-nous dès aujourd’hui