MPI linux fortran -- how to start?

MPI linux fortran -- how to start?

Portrait de diedro

hi eveyone,

I would like to strat to learn and use MPI in intel fortran for linux. 

How can I start? I check in the intel folder and there is no MPI library. Where can I get it?

Do you know some good tutorial?

Thanks a lot for your help

7 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.
Portrait de lei c.

You can download mpich on http://www.mpich.org/downloads/ for free . If you wan to select intel compliler for MPI ,you can set
./configure CC=./your path/icc CXX=./your path/icpc F77=./your path/ifort FC=./your path/ifort when installing the MPI. Details for readme in the installation package.

Portrait de Tim Prince

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/ is a good top level web page for learning about MPI.
Among Intel software products, the page: http://software.intel.com/sites/products/collateral/XE/Intel_ClusterStud...
shows which capabilities are included in the various bundles.
Among open source MPI implementations, besides mpich and mvapich, OpenMPI (not to be confused with OpenMP) is widely used and has excellent tutorials.

Portrait de diedro

dear all,
thanks for your suggestion. I choose openMPI. I think that could be usefull to learn also MPI. I have tried to install it on my laptop using intel tutorial:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-building-open-mpi-with-the-intel-compilers

but I get the following error:

checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking for gcc... icc

checking whether the C compiler works... no

configure: error: in `/home/diedro/Downloads/openmpi-1.6.3':

configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details

I do not hnow way icc seems to work in my computer.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Portrait de Tim Prince

As the echo says, the config.log should give some indication what went wrong (e.g. unless you are running configure in a directory where you don't have write permission). Among other things, you must set up the icc and icpc environment in accordance with sourcing compilervars so that they are working normally, both when building and running MPI.
The versions of both compilers and OpenMPI referred to in that white paper are several years out of support. Current versions should be preferred. As I mentioned before, the OpenMPI faq should be helpful; Intel compilers are discussed fully there.
It would be good to assure that no other MPI installation (such as one provided by your linux distro) is present, and to set a specific prefix which you will add to your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to avoid confusion with other MPI installations e.g. --prefix=/opt/ompi-1.5/

Portrait de diedro

Dear all,
thanks for all your replies. I have just started to study openMPI. I am already not able to install it as you can sse in my new post in intel c\c++ forum.
I have spent a lot of time in openmpi FAQ and mailing list but I haven't get much.
I hope Intel forum could help at least in configuration openMPI.

here the post:

I am new in openMPI world and in general in parallelization. I have some problem with configuration of openMPI in my laptop.
I have read your FAQ and I tried to google the problem but I was not able to solve it.
The problem is:

I have downloaded the openmpi-1.6.3, unpacked it
Then I have installed on my pc intel icc and icpc.
when I run:
./configure CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort

I get:

*** Startup tests
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... icc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/home/diedro/Downloads/openmpi-1.6.3':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details
diedro@diedro-Latitude-E6420:~/Desktop/Downloads/openmpi-1.6.3$

I do no understand why. I did a simple hello project with icc and it works.
(in attachment you can fiend the config.log)

Thanks

Portrait de diedro

dear all,
My fault in the new version you need to do exactly like the FAQ told you and to not use icc or ifort o gcc, simple:

shell$ gunzip -c openmpi-1.6.3.tar.gz | tar xf -

shell$ cd openmpi-1.6.3

shell$ ./configure --p

as you can see in the other post

Connectez-vous pour laisser un commentaire.