Bug - crash in Havok Preview Tool 64-bit 2011.3.1.1

Bug - crash in Havok Preview Tool 64-bit 2011.3.1.1

Portrait de dark_sylinc

Hi!

We found a crash in Havok Preview Tool 64-bit 2011.3.1.1

We apologize if this has been fixed in the latest version.

The attached file will crash HPT 64-bit. However the 32-bit version can load it fine.

The 64-bit version will say "hkp Key Code is invalid or is for a diffeerent product version" and dump a very long call stack.

Steps to reproduce:

Create two capsules as separate rigid bodies, one should have a mass (very important!) the other may or may not have. Now these capsules must start in a colliding state. Export it (filters used: Create Rigid Bodies, Write to Platform)

Watch previewer crash.

If the capsules don't start in a colliding state (i.e. separate enough from each other) or both have 0 mass, the crash will not happen.

Cheers

Matias.

Fichier attachéTaille
Téléchargement capsulehavokbug64-bit.7z7.96 Ko
Matias N. Goldberg Intel Havok Physics Innovation Contest Winner * Most Innovative Use of Physics in a Game (2nd Place) * Best Physics Knowledge Base Entry (2nd Place)
6 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.
Portrait de HavokTim

Hi Matias--

This bug is fixed in the 2012.1 content tools for x64, which are available from http://www.havok.com/try-havok. It sounds like using the x86 tools is a viable workaround for you, but if you need an updated preview tool for x64, you could use the one included with 2012.1 - the standalone tool should be backward compatible. Thanks for the bug report!

--Tim

Portrait de dark_sylinc

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Last time we checked, the free version of hct doesn't allow selecting which version we can export to. One of our artists downloaded 2012.1 by mistake and when we tried to use it's exported hkx file; Havok asserted the version of the tag file wasn't recognized and was probably a newer version.

Indeed, we are workarounding by mixing x86 & x64 tools, but the pipeline flow would go smoother if we could just use x64 (since our artists can't set the Preview Tool to run from the Filter manager, but rather open it manually)

And again, we apologize for reporting an already fixed bug. It's hard to always stay on the latest version.

Matias

Matias N. Goldberg Intel Havok Physics Innovation Contest Winner * Most Innovative Use of Physics in a Game (2nd Place) * Best Physics Knowledge Base Entry (2nd Place)
Portrait de HavokTim
Best Reply

Hi Matias--

I was referring specifically to the preview tool (ToolStandAlone.exe). You are correct that the rest of the export pipeline is not backward compatible, but I believe it would be possible to grab just that executable from the 2012.1 tools and use it with the older exporter. However, I have not actually tried this, so I may be wrong. Please let me know whether that works for you - thanks!

--Tim

Portrait de dark_sylinc

Hi Tim,

We tried a few options. But it appears to be 2011 & 2012 versions of HCT can't coexist (unless they're for different architectures)

First, 2012 forces to uninstall 2011 (and viceversa). Bummer.
Then we tried copying the preview tool from 2012 (including DLLs, not including DLLs, etc) into the 2011 installation. It was a crash right on launch (didn't even create the main window). Apparently there may be some registry key or something that is vital.
Finally, we tried copying over the export plugins from 2011 into a 2012 installation. When exporting in Max, the following error appeared:
Quote:

MAXScript MacroScript Error Exception
--Unknown system exception

( in hkSceneExportUtility.doExport() line 9 from hvkCommon.mcr )

We're giving up trying to mix both installations. We're either workarounding with the x86 version, or our artists can install 2012 to preview & do everything. And when they're done, uninstall and install 2011 to export the file. It's a hassle but we can work with it.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

Portrait de HavokTim

Hi dark_sylinc--

Sorry to hear that didn't work. If I come across any other workarounds I'll let you know.

Thanks,
--Tim

Connectez-vous pour laisser un commentaire.