Instalation problem

Instalation problem

Dear Steve,

I solved the previous problem and instaled the Intel® Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008. Everthing seems to be correct. But afterwards I carried out some tests. Despite the fact that I build Intel® 64 architecture application, the program run as 32.

I am using HP, Intel Core i3-2330M, 2.20GHz, W7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide

This is the profe that I have used the x64 for compilation:

1>------ Build started:  Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 13.1.0.149 [Intel(R) 64]...
1>RYCHLOSTNI_OP.FOR
1>Linking...
1>Embedding manifest...
1>
1>Build log written to  .....
=== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ====

11 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.

What do you mean "the program runs as 32"? The log you show indicates a successful 64-bit build.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Citation :

I solved the previous problem and...
If that is relevant to the present thread, please give a reference/link and state how it is connected to the present thread. Failing that, unless the "previous problem" had unusually interesting ingredients, most of the hundreds of readers of this forum would not have any idea what that problem was.

The "previous problem" was http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/373757 and it has no connection that I can see with this new issue, though I don't yet understand what the new problem is. It isn't an installation issue. I'm pretty sure.

I am sorry for inaccurate definition of the problem.
I have no clue what is happening now, but what I can see is when I run the program compiled like I described I am not able to reach the expected speed. I have a version of this aplication built with another 64 bit compiler on another computer a it's run much much faster.

There is no significant speed difference between a 32-bit and 64-bit program on the same computer.

Citation :

I am not able to reach the expected speed. I have a version of this aplication built with another 64 bit compiler on another computer a it's run much much faster.

I think that you are jumping to conclusions with hardly any basis. How did you estimate "the expected speed"?

The speed of 64-bit processors covers a wide range. The speed of your program depends, among others, on the CPU, the amount of cache, the OS, the speed of the I/O subsystem and the devices used, the number of threads used. How do the two different systems that you tried compare in regard to these attributes?

I have compiled the aplication on another computer with Intel® Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 and made a test of comparing speed difference between 32-bit and 64-bit compiler. You are right, it is almost same. But both of them are realy much faster, than the version compiled with Intel® Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 on my notebook.  

If you are worried about speed then don't use a debug build.

Citation :

Václav H. a écrit :
This is the profe that I have used the x64 for compilation:

1>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 13.1.0.149 [Intel(R) 64]...

>>>There is no significant speed difference between a 32-bit and 64-bit program on the same computer>>>

32-bit program running on 64-bit Win OS can run slower because of WOW64 induced overhead.

Citation :

IanH a écrit :

If you are worried about speed then don't use a debug build.

Quote:

Václav H.wrote:This is the profe that I have used the x64 for compilation:

Debug build will add some overhead in function's prolog for example filling buffer with 0xcc instructions by using rep movs instruction.

Laisser un commentaire

Veuillez ouvrir une session pour ajouter un commentaire. Pas encore membre ? Rejoignez-nous dès aujourd’hui