I don't understand 'm' flag!

I don't understand 'm' flag!

Trying to compile Boost with icc (from composer XE 2013 SP 1.2.139) using the -x assembler-with-cpp flag and getting the following error...

$     "icc" -x assembler-with-cpp -O3 -xHost   -inline-level=2 -vec-report0 -DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB=1 -DNDEBUG -I"." -c -o "osx-build/boost/bin.v2/libs/context/build/intel-darwin-linux/release/link-static/threading-multi/asm/jump_x86_64_sysv_macho_gas.o" "libs/context/src/asm/jump_x86_64_sysv_macho_gas.S"
<built-in>:167:9: warning: '__PIC__' macro redefined
#define __PIC__ 1
        ^
<built-in>:126:9: note: previous definition is here
#define __PIC__ 2
        ^
1 warning generated.
FATAL:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../libexec/as/x86_64/as: I don't understand 'm' flag!

Seems like icc is calling the assembler incorrectly.

Any ideas?

2 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.

Hi Francis,

This happens due to old version of GNU assembler supplied with MacOS/XCode -- that doesn't understand "-msse2avx" flag (modern GNU assembler versions does recognize and require this flag for code that might contain sse2 instructions).

Still, we consider this as a compiler bug and plan to fix it in next compiler update -- by invoking clang's built-in assembler (that supports modern x86 instructions and donesn't need -msse2avx flag).

In the meantime, you can use one of the following workarounds:
1) Specify that clang should be invoked: -Qlocation,as,clang (clang prints a warning on -msse2avx being unsupported option, but otherwise works fine)
2) Drop -xHost (as this options enables generation of sse2 instructions)
3) Install newer gcc version from macports and tell the compiler to use "as" from this installation: -Qlocation,as,/path/to/new/gcc/bin/as

Either of the workarounds suffice; 1) is probably the easiest.

Sorry for the inconvinience -- as I said, this will be fixed in a future update.

Andrey

Laisser un commentaire

Veuillez ouvrir une session pour ajouter un commentaire. Pas encore membre ? Rejoignez-nous dès aujourd’hui