pipeline pulus parallel for

pipeline pulus parallel for

hi,

in my app, I want to parallelize it with pipeline and parallel for. Each stage characters serial(There are dependence between different items of the same stage), and in each stage, I want to process the data in parallel, now, I do it with parallel_for. But it seems does not work. 

My questions are: TBB does not support task parallelism in producer-consumer patter. So, how should I do it?

stage1 // serial

parallel_for

parallel_for

stage2 // serial

parallel_for

stage3 // serial

7 posts / 0 nouveau(x)
Dernière contribution
Reportez-vous à notre Notice d'optimisation pour plus d'informations sur les choix et l'optimisation des performances dans les produits logiciels Intel.

I'm not sure I understand, but you should not have a problem calling parallel_for() from within a (parallel_)pipeline stage.

Are you saying that it works with a serial loop but not with a parallel loop, or is it something else?

Citation :

Xingjing Lu a écrit :

hi,

in my app, I want to parallelize it with pipeline and parallel for. Each stage characters serial(There are dependence between different items of the same stage), and in each stage, I want to process the data in parallel, now, I do it with parallel_for. But it seems does not work. 

My questions are: TBB does not support task parallelism in producer-consumer patter. So, how should I do it?

stage1 // serial

parallel_for

parallel_for

stage2 // serial

parallel_for

stage3 // serial

I think you want something like:

stage1 // serial
stage 2 // parallel_for
stage 3 // parallel_for
stage 4 // serial (was stage2)
stage 5 // parallel_for
stage 6 // serial (was stage3)

Jim Dempsey

www.quickthreadprogramming.com

Citation :

Raf Schietekat a écrit :

I'm not sure I understand, but you should not have a problem calling parallel_for() from within a (parallel_)pipeline stage.

Are you saying that it works with a serial loop but not with a parallel loop, or is it something else?

Yes, I made some mistakes when calling parallel_for().

But I still have another problem:

In the above example, I set the Number of threads to execute the pipeline like below:

pipeline.run(TheadNum); // ThreadNum = 3, the same number as the number of stages.

If I set up the task schedule for each parallel_for in different stages as:

task_scheduler_init init(4);

parallel_for( blocked_range<int>(0, 4), PASSIN);

what will happened to stages and parallel_for, are there 3 threads for each stage, and another 4 threads for each parallel_for? or there are only 3 threads totally?

Thanks!

Citation :

jimdempseyatthecove a écrit :

Quote:

Xingjing Lu wrote:

hi,

stage1 // serial

parallel_for

parallel_for

stage2 // serial

parallel_for

stage3 // serial

I think you want something like:

stage1 // serial
stage 2 // parallel_for
stage 3 // parallel_for
stage 4 // serial (was stage2)
stage 5 // parallel_for
stage 6 // serial (was stage3)

Jim Dempsey

Yes, What I want to do is  similar what you said above, but I cannot do this directly, because there are order constrains between different tokens.

Just to be sure, order constraints that are not addressed by serial_in_order?

(2014-08-09 Added after #7) Apparently I overlooked #4...

Best Reply

Citation :

Xingjing Lu a écrit :

In the above example, I set the Number of threads to execute the pipeline like below:

pipeline.run(TheadNum); // ThreadNum = 3, the same number as the number of stages.

If I set up the task schedule for each parallel_for in different stages as:

task_scheduler_init init(4);

parallel_for( blocked_range<int>(0, 4), PASSIN);

what will happened to stages and parallel_for, are there 3 threads for each stage, and another 4 threads for each parallel_for? or there are only 3 threads totally?

It's a common mistake to think that the argument to pipeline.run() is the number of threads. It's not; it's maximal number of items that are allowed to flow through the pipeline at a time. And the motivation for this argument is not restricting concurrency but bounding resource usage (which could otherwise grow "over the top" when a serial filter is the bottleneck in the pipeline).

So if you instruct the task scheduler (via task_scheduler_init) to use 4 threads, that's what you will get (unless the scheduler was initialized earlier, possibly implicitly), no matter what token limit is set for pipeline.

Laisser un commentaire

Veuillez ouvrir une session pour ajouter un commentaire. Pas encore membre ? Rejoignez-nous dès aujourd’hui