cilk/cilk.h include file

cilk/cilk.h include file

Imade an errorin my cilkification process and the icc compiler did not call me down on it. I am confused. I determined that a function A was used a lot in my program so I went to the other functions in the programthat called function A.

I then cilk_spawn -ed each call to function A in the other functions and of course put the #include in the include file section at the top of each function that called function A.

I did not (or I forgot to) put it in the aforementioned include file in function A.The program compiled under icc with no problem.

I thought that when a function (say function A) is spawned in another function that is the only way the compiler knows thatfunction Ais a cilk function is by inserting #include .

However, my program compiled with no complaints. If I had left out the

#include

in the calling functions (with cilk_spawn in them) then it would have certainly generated an error.

Why did it not give an error in this case?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Newport_j

8 post / 0 nuovi
Ultimo contenuto
Per informazioni complete sulle ottimizzazioni del compilatore, consultare l'Avviso sull'ottimizzazione

Because Cilk++ allocated a function's frame from the heap, it used a different linkage than standard C/C++ functions. As a result, you could only call a Cilk++ function from another Cilk++ function, since only the Cilk++ compiler knew how to call a Cilk++ function.

One of the major benefits of Intel Cilk Plus is that we got rid of Cilk++ linkage. Cilk Plus functions use standard C/C++ calling conventions and you can freely call a Cilk Plus function from C or C++.

So the compiler didn'tcomplain aboutyoucalling your Cilk Plus function from a C function because it's perfectly legal.

If you look in the Intel Cilk Plus version of cilk.h, you'll see thatother than comments,the file consists of

#ifndef cilk_spawn
# define cilk_spawn _Cilk_spawn
# define cilk_sync  _Cilk_sync
# define cilk_for   _Cilk_for
#endif

All it's doing is making it easier for you to use the Cilk keywords. The Cilk++ version was **MUCH** more complex.

- Barry

Wait, I think this is backwards. The callng function whatever it maybe has the line cilk_spawn -s function A. The called or spawned function, function A, did not even have a cilk/cilk.h includefile in its header file section. It did not complain.

For all intents and purposes, I spawned a c function -using my line of reasoning function A. The function that conatined the cilk_spawn command of course had to have cilk/cilk.h in the include files or else it would not know what cilk_spawn is. I have mistakenly left out the include file in a function that Iused cilk_spawn. It generated an error - cilk_spawn is undefined.

It seems that I am spawning just a basic c function, not a cilk function.

The reason that I am asking this is that some heavily used functions in my code are called (now spawned) in many different functions. I do not believe that you can cilk_spawn a function inone function and simply call it another. Its is either a cilk_spawn or it is not.

There are two points here thatI am inquiring about. I hope that it is clear.

Newport_j

Intel Cilk Plus uses standard C/C++ linkage. You can spawn a C or C++ function, just like you can spawn a Cilk function. The following should be entirely legal:

#include 
#include 

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    printf ("Called before the spawn\n");
    cilk_spawn printf("Hello world!\n");
    printf ("Now I'm racing!\n");
    cilk_sync;
    printf ("After the race.  Who won?\n");
    return 0;
}

When you spawn a function, the compiler generates a "spawn helper" which encapsulates any temporaries so they're destructed after the spawned function returns. So all of the "magic" is in the call site.

The only thing that cilk/cilk.h does is define macros to make the keywords easier to type. If you used _Cilk_spawn, _Cilk_sync and _Cilk_for, you wouldn't need to include cilk/cilk.h at all.

- Barry

How does the compiler kow when a function is c/c++ or cilk? It just seems to not matter. Any cilk function can call any one of the three.

We do not apparently have any signals no indication that a cilk function is a cilk function.

Newport_j

A Cilk function contains a cilk_spawn. When the compiler sees this, it notes that the function must do all those things that a Cilk function does. Among other things, it must initialize a __cilkrts_stack_frame stucture and call __cilkrts_leave_frame in the epilogue. That's all handled later, during code generation.

> How does the compiler kow when a function is c/c++ or cilk? It just seems to not matter.
> Any cilk function can call any one of the three.

Correct.

• Any Cilk function can call or spawn a Cilk function, or any C or C++ function.
  • Any C/C++ function can calla Cilk function, or any other function it would able to call normally.

> We do not apparently have any signals no indication that a cilk function is a cilk function.

Correct. Is there some reason you need to know?

- Barry

No reason. It just seems that the compiler might need to know what is a c/c++ or cilk function. The cilk functions increase execution time on a compiler so you would use those sparingly.

Clearly when employing Intel Cilk one must be careful to not put in cilk functions where they are not needed, so as to not put too much overhead in the program. Thus one must need to know what functions are cilk. It seems if the have cilk_spawn, cilk_sync, and /or cilk_for then they are cilik fucntions.

Putting in cilk header files does not change a c fucntion into a cilk function.

If you have a function that is called in several other functions, can it be cilk_spawn -ed in some functionsand just a called c function in the rest?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Newport_j

> If you have a function that is called in several other functions, can it be cilk_spawn -ed in some functions > and just a called c function in the rest?

Yes. As I stated above, when you cilk_spawn a function call, the compiler generates a "spawn helper" which encapsulates any temporaries, so they don't disappear before the spawned function returns. If you run your application with a single worker, debug it, and set a breakpoint in a spawned function, you'll see the spawn helper on the stack. All of the "magic" is at the call site. So you can cilk_spawn a function or call it, at your whim.

As you also noted, while spawns are (relatively) cheap, they're not free. Making a function a "Cilk function" requires initializing a __cilkrts_stack_frame structure which makes a thread-local storage location lookup. You should use them only where you need them. Also note that adding a cilk_for to a function does not make it a "Cilk function." cilk_for is implemented by making a lambda function out of the loop body and passing it into the Cilk runtime. All of the "Cilkiness" for cilk_for is encapsulated in the runtime.

- Barry

Lascia un commento

Eseguire l'accesso per aggiungere un commento. Non siete membri? Iscriviti oggi