I can't compile or debug my Fortran code in Parallel Studio

I can't compile or debug my Fortran code in Parallel Studio

I just finished installing Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011.  It is supposed to be a fortran compiler that works with Microsoft Visual Studio.  I am trying to debug a Fortran code, but am not able to.  The program does build and run properly using the command prompt, but not in visual studio.  Nothing happens when I push F5, and both debug options (Debug and Start Without Debugging) are grayed out and unclickable. 

It seems like something that should be easy to fix, but I've spent some time researching the issue and have not come up with anything.

7 post / 0 nuovi
Ultimo contenuto
Per informazioni complete sulle ottimizzazioni del compilatore, consultare l'Avviso sull'ottimizzazione

Dear Richard,

can you provide some details on which exact version of Visual Studio you are integrating with?

Is the program that you are trying to debug present as a full project that has been created or imported into Visual Studio? If so, have you selected to use the Intel Fortran Compiler from he project context menu?

Are you alternatively importing the executable into Visual Studio and tryign to debug it without an actual project?

Sorry for all these questions. As you state, Intel Fortran Compiler integration into Microsoft Visual Studio should be fairly seamless. Thus I am trying to understand your setup a bit better to see where things may be going wrong.

Please feel free to attach screenshots (you can declare your post as private), if you think that would help us. 

Thanks, Rob

Hello,

I guess we need some more information to understand the problem:

• Which Microsoft Visual Studio* version do you use?
  • Can you create simple C/C++ projects, compile (with Intel compiler) and debug them?
  • Can you create a simple Fortran project, if you did not already? I'm asking because I'm not sure whether you imported an existing project.
  • If you look at the properties for your Fortran project, did you specify the "Command" ("Configuration Properties"/"Debugging")?
  • Can you attach to a running C/C++ and Fortran application?
  • Finally, it might also help to provide a screeshot of the greyed out debug options.

Thank you & best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

I seem to have 2005, 2008, and 2010 installed. I get the same issue using 2010 and 2008.

I am not entirely sure what you mean when you mean about importing the project, so I will describe what I am doing. We essentially have this old Fortran code that we are trying to write into Matlab to do the exact same thing. I have finished writing the program, but it is not giving me the same answer and I need a Fortran compiler/debugger to figure out why. The Fortran program is old, I think it was written in Fortran 77. All I did to open it was to open Parallel Studio from the start menu, and file>open>transpipekev.for

It sounds as though the problem has to do with setting up the project. Do you have a link to a proper way to do it?

Allegati: 

AllegatoDimensione
Download Version_2.PNG18.66 KB
Download Screenshot_1.PNG86.39 KB
Download Version.PNG8.16 KB

Hello,

it appears to me like either the Microsoft Visual Studio* integration was not installed (during installation there are check-boxes asking for the desired integration(s)) or you did not create a Fortran solution.

We might exclude a debugger issue first by using your (externally) built application, run it and attach to its process. If this works, provided you have compiled with debug information, I guess it's the missing Fortran solution. In that case, please create a simple one via "File->New->Project" (select "Intel® Visual Fortran"). Does this work?

Thanks & best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

Hi Georg,

It seems most likely that it has to do with compatibility between Microsoft Visual Studio and Intel Fortran.  If this is the case, Do I need to re-install to fix the problem?

I'm not sure what you mean by attaching to the externally built program's process.

I have tried creating a simple project via:

file>New File...> Intel ® Visual Fortran >Fortran Fixed Form File (.for)

I pasted the Fortran code to this new file from a notepad.  It still gives me the exact same issues.

Hello,

it looks like the integration is not available at all.
For Microsoft Visual Studio 2008* the project dialog looks like that:

And a sample Fortran project should appear like that (note the "Fo" logo below the solution):

If you don't see this you did not select the integration during installation. So, the best would be to rerun the installation and check the dialog asking for the integration(s).

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

Accedere per lasciare un commento.