Compaq Array Viewer: How to reassign data colums for a contour plot ?

Compaq Array Viewer: How to reassign data colums for a contour plot ?

Ritratto di TommyCee

I'm working for the 1st time w/ Compaq Array Viewer (v1.5) which was bundled w/ CVF6.5; I've upgraded to v6.6C.I'm wanting to do a simple 2D contour plot of ASCII data (Cartesian grid) stored in a file.The 3-column data format (X/Y/Z resp.) is very simple: X & Y are spatial position coordinates, & Z is the associated "intensity".

Among the available graph types, the display I'm wanting is what CAV calls "Image Map".When I import the data, for some mysterious reason, CAV - as a default - correctly interprets the1st column as X, but reverses the 2nd & 3rd columns, so that they come out X/Z/Y !!

So, or course, the plot is screwed up.

Unfortunately, I see no way on the tool bar options (e.g., Settings|Data View or Settings|Axis) to deliberately force the choices for dimensions.It seems almost "hard wired".

And I've perused on-line help extensively and get no clues.

Stranger yet, if I choose as graph type Vector Graph, the good news is that it interprets the X and Y columns properly.The bad news is that it imposes a height to the intensities (instead of a color).Therefore, I get a crude 3D plot, not 2D.

In this case, I really want to use CAV if I possibly can.Previously, I've brought the same data into Surfer and produced lovely plots. And the nice things about Surfer is that it gives you complete and easy control in setting the columns for plotting - control I wish I had in CAV.

Since IAV spawned from CAV, it's likely that the problem I report for CAV may as well apply to IAV. Morover, God forbid, I may have uncovered a flaw in Array Visualizer for plotting simple Cartesian data.

In searching this site, I have found no posts on this topic.
Does anyone know how, if at all, I can do this in Compaq Array Visualizer?

4 post / 0 nuovi
Ultimo contenuto
Per informazioni complete sulle ottimizzazioni del compilatore, consultare l'Avviso sull'ottimizzazione

I haven't run the Compaq Array Viewer for at least 5 years (I think it was released 10 years ago? I notice the About box says copyright Digital Equipment Corp!), but ironically enough there's still a download available on HP's web site, and I was able to install and run it on my Vista PC.
Anyway, I now recall that if you go to Settings|graph when in the vector plot mode, you can choose which indices map to X, Y, Z, or color. If you map index 0 to Z, you get a 2d graph instead of a 3d graph. And these are sticky, so if you set them, they'll stay set to the same values next time you run the program. Anyway, play with these and see if you can get the graph to come out the way you want.

John

Ritratto di TommyCee

Quoting - johnreadey
I haven't run the Compaq Array Viewer for at least 5 years (I think it was released 10 years ago? I notice the About box says copyright Digital Equipment Corp!), but ironically enough there's still a download available on HP's web site, and I was able to install and run it on my Vista PC.
Anyway, I now recall that if you go to Settings|graph when in the vector plot mode, you can choose which indices map to X, Y, Z, or color. If you map index 0 to Z, you get a 2d graph instead of a 3d graph. And these are sticky, so if you set them, they'll stay set to the same values next time you run the program. Anyway, play with these and see if you can get the graph to come out the way you want.

John

Thanks for your reply, John.

Before, when I'd exlored the "vector" mode, I didn't think it was what I was looking for because its default is 3D, and I want a 2D portrayal.

I tried your suggestion while IN the "vector" mode. Setting Z to 0 is key, then setting Style to Lines (vs. points). Unfortunately, what I get leaves a lot to be desired. Firstly, I want an isopleth plot, which - for all the glamor and sophistication of ArrayViewer - is UNAVAILABLE. And beyond that, I'd like to colorize intensity bands (classes). The 2D vector plot I created was - at best - pretty much all one color (blue).

I can do exactly what I want using Surfer (not sure if you're familiar w/ it) - makes gorgeous data plots. I just thought of AV becase it's "coupled w/ CVFortran, and I'd rather not have to rely on 3rd party software for a rendition if Ididn't have to.

It's to bad that ArrayViewer doesn't say - right up front: Does Not Do 2D Isopleths!

I would guess this same limitation is in Intel AV.

TommyC

i haven't seen Surfer before, but I'll check it out. You'll need to talk with HP about adding the "Does Not Do 2D Isopleth" warning to their download. :)

Intel AV does do contour plots... take a look at the attached image. Is that what you are looking for?

John

Allegati: 

AllegatoDimensione
Download contour.png125.24 KB

Accedere per lasciare un commento.