Breshears 5-15 Webinar "Parallel Design Patterns" - Q1. When do we introduce this topic in our curriculum?

Breshears 5-15 Webinar "Parallel Design Patterns" - Q1. When do we introduce this topic in our curriculum?

1. so far everything [you have talked about] is VERY basic, the sooner the better; parallelism is not going to go away in programming!
  2. I think in an IT focused curriculum it belongs into the spring semester, directly after basic programming; what I've seen so far I would teach in a "introduction to parallel computing" class
  3. depends on the level of students - if introductionary, not more than 3, or een only 1-2; if aimed at 3rd year - 4-5
  4. in some areas the course has to many prerequisites; I would rather see it VERY early, keep concepts, but keep examples and prereqs simple; you are too fast
3 post / 0 nuovi
Ultimo contenuto
Per informazioni complete sulle ottimizzazioni del compilatore, consultare l'Avviso sull'ottimizzazione

My memory of the the group consensus from the webcast quick vote was that introducing parallel concepts should be done early - either 1st or 2nd year. Does anyone out there have a good example they are willing to share of how they have taught this?

Jerry

I don't think that this material has been out long enough for too many professors to pick up and use this. There has been quite a bit written about patterns for serial code. I wonder if there are any universities that might have included these texts as part of some course's text book requirements. If so, it would be interesting to know what courses for which this was advocated. (Whenever I visit a university bookstore, before I pick up a T-shirt, I try to go through the CS textbooks. I can't remember if there were any programs that had a programming patterns book in any of their courses.)

--clay

Lascia un commento

Eseguire l'accesso per aggiungere un commento. Non siete membri? Iscriviti oggi