Outfitting C++ for Multie-core Processor Parallelism

Outfitting C++ for Multie-core Processor Parallelism

Ritratto di kenthompson1@gmail.com

Warning: This post is just a sappy love festinregardsJames Reinders book.

I recently became aware of the Intel TBB library, luckily, just as I'm about to write a fairly large project. At first I found the examples and the supplemental documentation difficult to grasp. Functions such as parallel_for, parallel_reduce, and parallel_scan were perplexing for a programmer like me who has been in a serial computing world for so long. Furthermore, deducing the pratical usage of the TBB library seemed difficult to understand. That all changed after I ordered James Reinder's book.

James presented core concepts to thinking parallel, in parallel (no pun intended) with useful library specific calls. I ordered the book hoping to either put a nail in the coffin of my inability to understand TBB or to be pleasantly surprised at its simplicity. Obviously, I found the latter to be the case.

If you are evaluating TBB for your own use I strongly recommend you get a copy.

Ken Thompson

EXACOM, Inc.

James, if you happen to glance this post. There is a typo you should be aware of. Page 105. Chapter 6: Scalable Memory Allocation."If you are diligent and make sure you are not maxing malloc/free and scalable_malloc/scalable_free..." Maxing should be Mixing

3 post / 0 new
Ultimo contenuto
Per informazioni complete sulle ottimizzazioni del compilatore, consultare l'Avviso sull'ottimizzazione
Ritratto di Kevin Farnham

Ken, your perception of the book is a lot like mine (see my "review" in my blog post "Intel Threading Building Blocks" - the Book). Parallel programming is difficult, and while the TBB documentation is superb in my opinion, the book puts it all into perspective in a way that then makes the detailed documentation more readily understandable.

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Threading Building Blocks community!

Ritratto di Randy Smith (Intel)

Make sure you submit that erratum to the publisher! http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514808/errata/
--
RDS

Accedere per lasciare un commento.