USB Camera support for MCA SDK

USB Camera support for MCA SDK

Ritratto di tomd44

Hi,

I am developing an extension to an application that will run on an MCA to allow it to interface with the inbuilt camera. In the developer guide it says the camera plug-in is compatible with most USB cameras, although in the release notes only a few makes are listed - and these seem to all have problems flagged up. I was wondering if anyone has already got a USB camera working correctly with the plug-in, or knows of any models that are definately compatible? It would be good to know before I plough ahead and buy one.

Many thanks,
Tom.

9 post / 0 new
Ultimo contenuto
Per informazioni complete sulle ottimizzazioni del compilatore, consultare l'Avviso sull'ottimizzazione
Ritratto di GARRY B. (Intel)

Hey Tom,

I found this in the release notes for the 1.0 SDK...

Hope it helps

The following USB cameras have been tested with the Intel MCA software.

Logitech QuickCam Fusion* Camera

Version 11.0 and 10.5 of the Logitech camera drivers are not compatible with the Intel MCA SDK and may freeze applications when the camera is released ? or when the application exits after using the camera.

Versions 10.0 and 9.5 of the Logitech camera drivers have both been tested extensively with the MCA SDK.

Basic functionality has been tested with the built-in Microsoft* USB Video driver.

Requires newer revision of this camera.

Older models do not support the built-in Microsoft USB Video driver.

139168833"> This camera supports separate still-image capture. Its still images can be captured at a higher resolution than its maximum video resolution. To enable still capture, set the following option in the MCA SDK configuration file:

<>/ForceDisableStillCapture=0

See Section 9.5 in the Intel MCA SDK Developers Guide for further details on camera configuration.

Microsoft LifeCam* (Model VX-3000)

Basic functionality was tested with driver version 5.12.1.40.

Does not support separate still image capture. Images are always captured at the current video resolution.

Have not tested all the Optional camera settings reported by this camera.

See Section 9.5 in the Intel MCA SDK Developers Guide for further details on camera configuration.

Creative Live!* Cam Notebook Pro (Model VF0250)

&
nbsp; Basic functionality was tested with driver version 1.2.6.627.

Does not support separate still image capture. Images are always captured at the current video resolution.

Have not tested all the Optional camera settings reported by this camera.

Dynex* Desktop Web Camera (Model DX-DTCAM)

This camera is not compatible with the MCA SDK with its currently available drivers (Version 5.18.1.2).

See erratum #1229 in the Intel MCA SDK 1.0 Errata.PDF file.

Ritratto di tomd44

hey yeh i saw that, but do you see what I mean it mainly says these models aren't compatible or they haven't been tested properly or only cetain drivers work. I was hoping there would be a list somewhere of models that do work perfectly. Maybe this just doesn't exist and each ones different.

Thanks again,
Tom.

Ritratto di Community Admin

The Microsoft and Creative cameras listed both worked out of the boxand should be usable for development. I haven't encountered any issues testing with either of them.

The only areas not completely tested with these cameras are the functions to adjustthe optional settings such as brightness, contrast, exposure, etc.For example, nearly all camerasreport incorrect range information for the exposure setting which can cause errors when trying to set the exposure tovalues near the extremes. If you do encounter problems such as these with any specific camera there is a workaround available (see the section on camera configuration in the Developer's Guide).

The Logitech camera is the most thoroughly tested of the off-the-shelfWebcamsbut, as mentioned, the current drivers have problems that prevent them from functioning with the MCA SDK.Unfortunately Logitech does not have older driver versions available on their support site any longer, but if you can find 10.0 or earlier drivers this camerais your best bet.

- Brian

Ritratto di mjx

i think the statement "works with most USB cameras" is slighty exaggerated. I couldn't get any of the recommended ones on short notice and tested four different other models and none of them worked.

I think the SDK should be more specific what features a camera must support in order to work and/or the driver should output some useful information on why a specific camera doesn't work.

Or, as a last resort, i think there should be a real camera loopback driver that just returns a static bitmap without the need for any camera.

I must admit that - while developing for RFID and barcode scanners was pretty smooth with the SDK - programming for the camera was pretty frustrating because of this.

Ritratto di Steven Murray (Intel)

Hi mjx,

The suggestion of adding a loopback driver for the camera is a good idea. We have not really looked at doing that because reports of the MCA SDK not working with a USB camera are quite rare. If you could provide us the info below on the camera you had problems with we could add them to our testing and validation process for future releases.

Manufacturer:
Model number:
Driver version(s):
OS tested with

Thanks,
Steve

Ritratto di mjx

This morning i finally got the Microsoft VX-3000, but that one didn't work either on my machine. So i started trying other PCs and finally found one that worked.

Maybe it wasn't the camera at all that caused the error and my development machine is just a little messed up.

Sorry for the noise.

Ritratto di deadbeatclub

I'm having the same frustrations getting a camera to work with the SDK. No matter what I try, Camera.ReserveDevice() fails with DeviceNotFoundException and the message "Camera device named '' was not found. (Unable to get last error)"

I tried with 2 cameras, first a Logitech not listed in the release notes (WebCam C250) and when that failed I bought the VX-3000. Behavior was the same with both. Their own software works, andmy camera code for WIAand DirectShowworks.

When I got the VX-3000 I was unable to find the 5.12.1.40 driver. All links I found for it had expired. I tried installing 3 ways: Let "Found new device" discover the drivers online, I downloaded the drivers from Microsoft, and I used the install CD. The versions of the drivers I ended up with were 5.12.1.67 and 5.12.1.72.

My dev system is XP with DirectX 9.0.

Help! My development time is going to increase dramatically if I can't debug in the IDE!

Thanks,
Margot

Ritratto di deadbeatclub

Check this thread (my last post) for a possible solution:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=74579&o=d&s=lr

Margot

Accedere per lasciare un commento.