FAQ for ExoPC with MeeGo

FAQ for ExoPC with MeeGo

Frequently Asked Questions Intel® Software Development Platform (Intel® SDP) TBPT1 Family Codenamed Pinetrail ExoPC* Tablet For MeeGo* Application Development Associated Code Names: Platform: Tablet Platform Code Name: Pinetrail CPU/Chipset Code Name: Intel® Atom™ N450 Processor codenamed Pineview-M Board Code Name: ExoPC Tablet Product Code: TBPT1SXOR Q1: Support for MeeGo* and MeeGo Hardware issues related to the Intel® AppUpSM Developer Program? Q2: Hardware Support Email Address for TBPT1SXOR SDP Q3: Tools Link for SDK, Compiler, VTune* and AppUp tools, and latest MeeGo images Q4: Support for broader MeeGo OS issues Q5: MeeGo OS Image Recovery Q6: MeeGo Root Password Q7: Closing MeeGo Applications Q8: Manually setting the date, time and time zone? Q9: Manually Mounting USB drives Q10: Manually Changing Screen Brightness Q11: Manually Checking Battery Status Q12: Connecting to Hidden SSID Q13: WAP Connection Issues Q14: Bluetooth Q15: File manager Q16: System will not power on Q17: System hangs displaying a blinking cursor in the lower left corner Q18: System hangs displaying SYSLINUX ERROR Q1: Where do I get support for MeeGo* and MeeGo Hardware issues related to the Intel® AppUpSM Developer Program? A1: For all issues related to MeeGo and the Intel AppUp Developer Program including hardware issues, please seek support at http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/meegosupport Alternatively if you have a question that is not specifically addressed in the forum you can fill out a support ticket at http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/contact Q2: Where can I report a specific hardware issue with the Software Development Platform (SDP) tablet I have received? A2: For specific hardware issues with the tablet, please seek support at: grp_sdp_hwsupport_tablet AT intel DOT com (Replace AT and DOT with @ and . symbols and remove spaces) For best support, please provide the following information: • A descriptive subject line. (e.g. [TBPT1SXOR] Tablet will not power on) • Contact information. Provide name and phone number. • System serial number, if known. • System product code, if known. • BIOS Version. (Located in BIOS Setup Main Screen) • OS Version. (For MeeGo, type “cat /etc/system-release” in a terminal window) • Problem description. • Issue reproduction steps. • Include screenshots, error logs and setup information. Q3: Where do I find the SDK, Compiler, VTune* and AppUp tools, and latest MeeGo images tested to work with AppUp? A3: The following items are available for download at: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/meego-sdk-suite • MeeGo Software Development Kit (SDK) 1.2 for Windows* and Linux* • Intel® VTune Amplifier XE for MeeGo • Intel C++ Compilers for MeeGo • Intel AppUp Beta SDK for MeeGo • Intel AppUp Center Client for MeeGo Q4: Where can I get broader support regarding the MeeGo OS and or report a bug in the OS? A4: For a broader set of OS related issues outside of AppUp you can check out the MeeGo Forums http://forum.meego.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8 Q5: How do I recover the MeeGo OS image? A5: Download image to a Linux* Development System: For the latest validated stable build: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/meego-sdk-suite For the latest trunk build: http://meego.com/downloads/releases/1.2/meego-tablet-developer-preview 1. Open a Terminal window on the Linux Development System. 2. Find the USB Thumb Drive mapping as follows: a. “sudo tail –f /var/log/messages” i. Plug in USB thumb drive ii. Observe mapping (i.e. ([sdb] maps to /dev/sdb) iii. Then Ctrl-z to exit NOTE: The use of sudo requires the user to be in the sudoers file. 3. If the USB drive automounts, unmount the USB thumb drive with “umount /dev/sdx” 4. Image the drive with the command “sudo dd if=meego-tablet-ia32-pinetrail-1.1.99.2.20110412.6.img of=/dev/sdx bs=4096” 5. After the drive is imaged, remove the drive from the Linux Development System and install it to the ExoPC tablet. 6. Power on the ExoPC Tablet 7. Tap the BBS icon on the initial splash screen then tap the USB thumb drive to boot to the MeeGo Grub menu. 8. In the Grub Menu, select “Installation Only” by briefly tapping the Hot Button Sensor in the upper left corner until the option is selected, then press and hold the Hot Button Sensor home key for a few seconds to start the installation. 9. In the “MeeGo Rocks” screen, tap the lower right corner button. 10. Select language 11. Select which partitions to install to (default is normally OK) 12. Write changes to disk 13. Installation will proceed and complete within 5 minutes 14. Click Close then remove the USB thumb drive and power off the tablet. Q6: What is the root password in Meego? A6: Root password is “meego”. Q7: How do I close an application in MeeGo? A7: To close an application: 1. Press the home sensor in the upper left corner to go back to the panels. 2. Press the home sensor again to display the open apps and panel selection icons. 3. Press and hold the app icon until the open/close menu appears, then close the app. Q8: How do I manually set the date, time and time zone? A8: Open a terminal window Ctrl-Alt-F1 (requires USB Keyboard) and type the following commands: 1. Login as root, password “meego”. (default) 2. Set the time zone a. cd usr/share/zoneinfo and find the region you live in. (e.g. US, Europe, PRC, etc.) b. mv /etc/localtime /etc/localtime.old c. ln –sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific /etc/localtime d. Set the zone entry in the file /etc/sysconfig/clock (e.g. US/Pacific) i. vi /etc/sysconfig/clock ii. Press “insert” key iii. Change line to “ZONE=”US/Pacific” iv. :wq to save and exit vi editor 3. Update the hw clock with /sbin/hwclock --systohc 4. To change the date and time, use the date command followed by the month, day, hour, minute, and year all numeric and no spaces. So, to set the date and time to March 22nd, 2011 16:10 a. date 032216102011 b. Type “sync” to sync drive. Q9: USB thumb drives do not automount, how do I manually mount the drive? A9: To manually mount the USB drive: 1. To mount the USB thumb drive 2. Open terminal window Ctrl-Alt-F1 3. Login as root password MeeGo 4. Find the USB Thumb Drive mapping as follows: a. “sudo tail –f /var/log/messages” i. Then plug in USB thumb drive ii. Observe mapping iii. Then Ctrl-z to exit 5. Make a directory to mount the device to if desired. i.e. “mkdir /media/USB” 6. “mount /dev/sdb1 /media/USB” 7. Also, to mount directly to a folder so the USB content shows in the media directory, for example type “sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media” 8. Also, you may want to add the device to the /etc/fstab file for future boots. Q10: How do I change the screen brightness from the command line? A10: To change brightness, type “sudo echo 10 > /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness” in a terminal window. Values between 0 and 15 are accepted. Q11: How do I check the status of my battery from the command line? A11: Open a terminal and enter “cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state” to check the charging status or “cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info” to check the battery information. The installed battery on the ExoPC Tablet PC has the following information listed on the battery: Lithuim ION Polymer Battery Part Number: 8299-PRLUCMD50004 Rating: 7.4VDC 5000mAh/37Wh Q12: How do I connect to a hidden SSID? A12: Open a terminal window and use the iwconfig command to find the network for the connection manager. In the following example, the SSID name is “home”. $sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid home Q13: I cannot connect to my WAP, how can I resolve this issue? A13: Follow the steps below to debug the wireless issue: 1. Check to see if the WiFi device is detected “lspci –vv | grep –I wireless 2. Check the Wireless security settings a. Try Open or WEP setting b. Try WPA2 Personal setting 3. Ensure the router FW is up to date (use caution when updating router firmware...) 4. Check the router against the WiFi.org certified list at: http://www.wi-fi.org/certified_products.php Q14: How do I get Bluetooth working? A14: Bluetooth hardware is fully functional, but there are MeeGo software issues currently under investigation. Q15: Where is the file manager? A15: The MeeGo team is working on a file manager. Presently, the workaround to view files is to use the Web Explorer by typing file:/// in the address bar. Q16: My system will not power on, how can I get it working again? A16: First, ensure the battery is fully charged. If the battery is fully discharged, the power circuits may prevent the system from powering on, even if the battery charger is connected. Usually, it takes 1 – 2 hours to fully charge the battery. If the system will still not turn on, use a small paper clip and insert it into the small hole near the power button and depress the reset button, then power on the system. To monitor battery charging, the battery icon shows the approximate charge level and if the battery is charging or not. You can also open a terminal window and check the battery level with the following command “cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state”. Q17: My system hangs displaying a blinking cursor in the lower left corner, how can I get it working again? A17-1: Ensure the battery is fully charged. A17-2: Power cycle the tablet using the power button. A17-3: Remove and replace the AC Adapter, the power on the tablet. A17-4: Recover the operating system. Q18: My system hangs on initial bootup with the error message “SYSLINUX 4.00 2010-06-28 EDD Copyright © 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al ERROR, extent leaf not found” A18-1: Power cycle the system. It may take a few tries to make it work. A18-2: If power cycle does not work, then reimage the system with the recovery image at: http://meego.com/downloads/releases/1.2/meego-tablet-developer-preview
6 post / 0 nuovi
Ultimo contenuto
Per informazioni complete sulle ottimizzazioni del compilatore, consultare l'Avviso sull'ottimizzazione

Hello Ron,

thanks for your FAQ.

Q1: Where do I get support for MeeGo* and MeeGo Hardware issues related to the Intel® AppUpSM Developer Program?
A1: For all issues related to MeeGo and the Intel AppUp Developer Program including hardware issues, please seek support at http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/meegosupport
Alternatively if you have a question that is not specifically addressed in the forum you can fill out a support ticket at http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/contact

But I'm wondering if someone of the Intel MeeGo tech guys is really looking into this forum here:
I've asked 3 questions few weeks ago and did not get a single reply till now - and I'm not the only one with unanswered questions.

So is it useful to ask here or should we just always contact support directly and forget about this forum?

Best regards
Andreas

what developers should know about this target ?

http://www.reddit.com/user/rzrfreefr

Hello rzr,

we were told - also at the AppUp event in Munich - that the Intel support team for MeeGo will look into this forum themselves to answer questions.

This way you don't have to write to the support, just post here. This would also make much sense, because the same question would need to be answered only once.

But it looks like as they don't give any support here in this forum and that's a pity:
this way we all have to write to the support individually...

Best regards
Andreas

Hi Andreas,
I will look into your query about support in more detail, but I think the forum is more for information sharing between developers and to triage issues that developers are seeing. The support contact URL is used in the event your question is not specifically answered in the forum. I know there are a number of engineers that are looking at the forum on a regular basis and each one would have expertise in one area or another. We really appreciate the feedback you guys provide and want to help you with the issues you are seeing.

Thanks,
Ron

Hello Ron,

thank you very much - now I got replies. ;-)

Best regards
Andreas

Lascia un commento

Eseguire l'accesso per aggiungere un commento. Non siete membri? Iscriviti oggi