learning coding in x64 architecture

learning coding in x64 architecture

Hello,

I am an 2nd year computer engineering student. I am familiarized with intel 8086 assembley coding and Motorola M68HC11 architectures.

I want to learn(instruction set) and develope in assembly language for x64 architectures like intel i3 processor. I also want to learn  acessing peripheral devices like display, camera, speakers through this coding. Can anyone please suggest any online resources, developement tools so that i can start early and get my hands dirty by experimenting with my codes?.

4 post / 0 nuovi
Ultimo contenuto
Per informazioni complete sulle ottimizzazioni del compilatore, consultare l'Avviso sull'ottimizzazione
Ritratto di Brad Werth (Intel)

Divyesh, seems like there are two resources that might be helpful for you:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/introduction-to-x64-assembly

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/architectures-software-developer-manuals.html

I hope they are helpful for you.

The learning curve is quite steep.  Depending on your current level, you may try climbing lower ranges first:

1.  If you are not fluent with Assembly, LINK, LIB etc, try take a course in 8086 assembly. Really compile, link and test your lessons.

2.  >>I also want to learn  acessing peripheral devices like display, camera, speakers through this coding <<    In the old days of DOS, every programmer knew about device-drivers. In current Windows/Linux times, this arcane art is obscured behind 'sockets' and services provided by the operating system. Microsoft documentation on device-drivers is a good starting point for Windows programmers.

3. Microsoft VC and Intel's C++ ( 'Composer XE' ) allow Inline-Assembly. That is, small code fragments written in assembler inside a C environment. This makes life much simpler. Just the built in debugger is worth gold. 

Note:  older 64-bit VC versions did not allow in-line assembly. So, start with 32-bit VC. The transition from 32-bit to 64-bit is a small hill compared to the full Assembly mountain. Note that 'VC Express version' may lack some features you must have - check for yourself. In the absence of further knowledge, opt for an older, but full, version.

I know - from experience - that Intel' C++ compiler and debugger recognize 64-bit instructions.

I hope that helps.

Ritratto di Zoe

Accedere per lasciare un commento.