Problem adding a .NET Framework DLL as reference to Windows Store app

Problem adding a .NET Framework DLL as reference to Windows Store app

Hi! I'm Laura R., software engineer at Neurodigital Technologies, from Spain.

We are building a Windows Store app (Windows 8 metro style) which searchs content in documents. We have used Lucene.NET to generate the program database due its high performance as search engine. In a desktop program (Windows form) that we developed before, we achieved all the expected functionality provided by Lucene, so now we want to port our application to an Windows Store app to create a version for our Windows 8 tablet.

However, the Lucene.NET library is not compatible with this framework. When we add as reference with Visual Studio 2012, we get the following error message: "The project targets ‘.NetFramework’ while the file reference targets ‘.NetCore’". This means that we need a Lucene.NET version compiled using .NetCore, but currently there is no Lucene.NET version compiled in such manner.

We tried to create a library project suitable for Windows Store apps with the library source, but the code still needs to be adapted for recompile because there are lot of changes on the new framework (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br230302.aspx#convert)

The obvious solution is build a suitable port of the library, but may be a hard and long task to accomplish. Therefore, is there any other suitable solution to use the current library in our project?

Thanks in advance!

Laura R.

Software engineer at Neurodigital Technologies.

4 post / 0 nuovi
Ultimo contenuto
Per informazioni complete sulle ottimizzazioni del compilatore, consultare l'Avviso sull'ottimizzazione

As of now there is not port of Lucene.Net for Windows store apps. So there are two possible approaches that you can follow:

1. Move your full-text-search to the cloud, may be Azure or anywhere else that you are comfortable with.
  2. Use other full-text-search libraries. As SQLite supports full text search and there is quite a information about SQLite usage in Windows store apps - refer Tim Heuer's blog - timheuer.com/blog/archive/2012/06/05/howto-video-using-sqlite-in-metro-style-app.aspx and about enabling full text search - sqlite.org/fts3.html#section_2

I would appreciate if you could let us know your progress on this front.

Thanks, Rumnha

Citazione:

Rumnha ha scritto:

As of now there is not port of Lucene.Net for Windows store apps. So there are two possible approaches that you can follow:

1. Move your full-text-search to the cloud, may be Azure or anywhere else that you are comfortable with.
  2. Use other full-text-search libraries. As SQLite supports full text search and there is quite a information about SQLite usage in Windows store apps - refer Tim Heuer's blog - timheuer.com/blog/archive/2012/06/05/howto-video-using-sqlite-in-metro-style-app.aspx and about enabling full text search - sqlite.org/fts3.html#section_2

I would appreciate if you could let us know your progress on this front.

Hi Rumnha, thanks for your reply :)

We already thought about migrate to SQLite and we know there is a fresh port for WinRT. However, we require some additional features that SQLite cannot provide. These features are an integrated stemmer (Snowball), powerful queries to search in multiple fields (and set weights for each one, which improves the result and accuracy) and, of course, a high performance on document search in order of miliseconds (which is the main requirement for our project). But at last it would be our best alternative choice if we don't get success building the Lucene.NET port.

On the other hand, another fundamental requirement is our program must run in offline mode (with no internet connection), so we can't assume the web service approach.

Therefore we are going to try building the port (only the search part of the library core and Snowball). We will let you know our progress in this matter.

Thank you for your interest.
Laura R, software engineer at Neurodigital Technologies.

Yes, Lucene.Net is indeed feature rich than SQLite full-text-search. Now I understand what kind of full-text-search you need. I will keenly watch your progress. If you think of creating WinRT port, let the community know, they will be happy to contribute, including me :).

Thanks, Rumnha

Lascia un commento

Eseguire l'accesso per aggiungere un commento. Non siete membri? Iscriviti oggi