This document describes how developers can use Intel® Parallel Composer to optimize applications for IA-32 and Intel® 64 processors. It first shows some of the optimization features common to all of the processors, followed by optimizations for specific processors.
The Intel® Parallel Composer optimizes performance and gives application developers access to the advanced features of IA-32 and Intel® 64 processors. New and improved compiler features include:
- Flexibility. Developers can target specific 32-bit or 64-bit Intel processors for optimization.
- Microsoft Visual C++* Compatibility. Intel C++ Compiler is source- and object- compatible with the Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler. For more information on specific compatibility of the compiler within the Microsoft Visual C++ and Visual Studio .NET environments, refer to the Intel® C++ Compiler for Windows Compatibility with Microsoft Visual C++* white paper, and the product release notes document.
- Integration with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008* and Visual Studio 2005*. On IA-32 processor-based systems, the Intel compiler is integrated into Microsoft Visual Studio .NET IDE, including the 2008 and 2005 editions. For more information on usage of the compilers within the Visual C++ and Visual Studio .NET environments, refer to the Intel® C++ Compiler for Windows Compatibility with Microsoft Visual C++* white paper, and the product release notes document.
- Ease of Use. Automatic optimization features let the compiler do the work necessary to take advantage of the target processor’s architecture.
- Efficiency. Automatic compiler optimization reduces the need to write different code for different processors. The generated code is highly portable and easy to maintain.
- Intel® Developer Zone Forums. Intel software user forums allow you to search technical questions and answers, ask a new question and receive expert advice from Intel engineers and the developer community.
- Knowledge Bases. You can browse and search available Intel® Software Development Products Knowledge Base articles to find answers to your technical questions. Additional articles can be found in the Intel® Developer Zone Content Library.
- Intel Registration Center. Intel provides product registration, a self-help question and answer feature, software downloads, and more through the secure Intel Registration Center Web site.