CONTAINS

SUBROUTINE DUE
UNO = 2.D0
RETURN
END SUBROUTINE DUE

END

Then :

$ ifort -logo -c -fp-model strict -save sample.f90

Intel Fortran Intel 64 Compiler Professional for applications running on Intel 64, Version 11.1
Build 20091012 Package ID: l_cprof_p_11.1.059
Copyright (C) 1985-2009 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel Fortran 11.1-2620
: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.

compilation aborted for sample.f90 (code 3)

Note that building without any compiler option, it works fine :

$ ifort sample.f90 -o sample && sample

It also works when not using -fp-model strict and -save together.
Then, it seems that the combined effect of this two options (which I use without problems on other source) causes the crash.

If the problem is related to the use of the name of the containing function in the contained subroutine, then I guess the compiler should point this out, instead of crashing ...

Regards

6 posts / novo 0
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.

There have been long standing problems with the use of -save with CONTAINS. I see you found a corner which hasn't been fixed. As far as I can see, the only thing wrong with your program is the desire to use -save rather than specifying SAVE in appropriate places in the program. It's still possible to expose the bug by putting SAVE in both containing and contained subroutines, without -save. It seems the compiler should simply save the last set value.

Quoting - tim18
There have been long standing problems with the use of -save with CONTAINS. I see you found a corner which hasn't been fixed. As far as I can see, the only thing wrong with your program is the desire to use -save rather than specifying SAVE in appropriate places in the program. It's still possible to expose the bug by putting SAVE in both containing and contained subroutines, without -save. It seems the compiler should simply save the last set value.

Interesting - looks like -fp-model strict is working in combination with -save on this bug. Compiling without -fp-model and only -save doesn't invoke the error.

I'll get a bug report started.

ron

bug report is DPD200142313

You may have noticed that -fp-model precise or -fp-model source avoid the error. You could work around the error with:

-save -fp-model precise -prec-div -prec-sqrt -nolib-inline

which should give you good numerical stability and SAVE.

ron

Thanks to all for your answers.

Yes, I noticed that the error occurs when using both -fp-model strict and -save and not when using only one of them (see the first post).

I need -fp-model strict because I need to change the floating point exception trapping behavior during the program execution; and the documentation says that that is a necessary flag, for such a purpose, if I remember well.

I will try not to use -save when not really needed (for sure it is better to use the SAVE statements in the code, and only for the variables that need it : I do not like depending on compiler options if not necessary).

I came across the compiler bug while moving a legacy application towards the more recent standard, also using CONTAINS for a better programming style, and I thought it was worth point it out to make Intel improve the compiler robustness.

Thanks again.

This bug was fixed some time ago in 12.x compilers and newer.

closing.  Thanks for sending this in to us.

ron

Faça login para deixar um comentário.