Energy estimation on linux

Energy estimation on linux

imagem de eljedi

Hi folks, I saw there's a related thread on it was asked about an estimative tool/model in case you could not plug a digital power meter, but intel power gadget does not works on linux. Is there any other alternative or some work i can do to have something somilar? Is nowadays energy checker capable to do something like? thanks! Diego.

11 posts / 0 new
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.
imagem de Michael Fuckner

it says it "evaluates the Energy MSR", so it should be possilbe to write anything for Linux with msr-tools. If you know which msr to read- I'm working on it :)
has to be something similar to IA32_THERM_STATUS MSR (See Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual) p 14-15

You should read:

Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developers Manual Combined Volumes:1, 2A, 2B, 2C, 3A, 3B, and 3C

MSR_PKG_ENERGY_STATUS is an MSR containing the Joules consumed since the counter was last reset (to be multiplied with Energy Status Units). Now i need to know how to reset this counter- or read it twice and use the difference. The rest is math

imagem de eljedi

Hi Michael, Thanks for the reply :) I'm going to take a look to the ia manual. Which model are you using for your estimator? thanks again! and happy new year to all of you :)

you mean CPU Model? This doesn't matter- what I have at hand at work.

I took a look at intel_rapl driver which should export those values to perf- but I don't know why the intel guy writing this did not include the suggestions to get it commited to vanilla kernel (at least in 3.2 it is not included)

Any progress on your side with interpretation of those values?

Regards,
Michael!

imagem de eljedi
Hi Michael,

Sorry to say that for the moment I couldn't get any progess. I tried first to play with the temperature server meanwhile. :(

imagem de Roman Dementiev (Intel)

Hi, Intel Performance Counter Monitor V2.0 (Intel PCM) can display energy consumption for CPU (and also separately for DRAM memory on Intel Xeon E5 series - microarchitecture codename Sandy Bridge EP/EN/E). Additionaly, you can read temperature headroom, core and CPU package C-states residencies. The Intel PCM API and tools work on Linux and Windows. -- Roman

imagem de aajizattari

Hi Roman , Can you tell me how to cpnvert the Joules reported by Intel PCM into Watts ?? Any pointers or references for the time value needed for conversion from energy to power ??

one Joule per second is a Watt

imagem de Jee C.

Is RAPL part of PCM?
Also, is there any information on which motherboard/BIOS supports reading DRAM energy usage?

Thanks!

-- Jee

Quote:

Roman Dementiev (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

Intel Performance Counter Monitor V2.0 (Intel PCM) can display energy consumption for CPU (and also separately for DRAM memory on Intel Xeon E5 series - microarchitecture codename Sandy Bridge EP/EN/E). Additionaly, you can read temperature headroom, core and CPU package C-states residencies.

The Intel PCM API and tools work on Linux and Windows.

--
Roman

imagem de fcanogra

Hi!

I'm using OpenCL to develop some functions and now I would like to obtain how much energy  each one consumes each time that I execute them. If I'm not wrong, I could make it using ESRV. I'm trying to use it in ubuntu ( for this reason I have posted here) and  I'm following Intel_R__Energy_Checker_SDK--User_Guide, exactly chapter 9.Using ESRV and TSRV Data, but I can't make it work ( when I execute make in console I obtain a few fails). Could someone help me please?  Thanks in advance.

Faça login para deixar um comentário.