Is 1 considered prime?

Is 1 considered prime?

imagem de dotcsw

Wikipedia says that 1 is no longer considered prime by mathematicians. How should it be handled for the purposes of this challenge?

Looking at the example output from "primesums.exe 1 29 6 sumsout.txt" one thing I do not see is:
sum(1:9) = 27 = 3**3

So my guess is that 1 is not prime. This leads to my next question...

Can we assume that the first and second command line arguments are prime?

- Rick

8 posts / 0 new
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.
imagem de hitesh.sharma

Yeap u r right that 1 is not a prime number.
along with wiki where ever we see we find that 1 is neither prime not composite it lies in special category.
another url for ref : http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeNumber.html.

so 1 is not prime.

Answet to your 2nd question.
1st & 2nd arguments are closed range, in mathematic terms [range1, range2]
means primes number should be in between these including them.

imagem de Rama Kishan Malladi (Intel)

Yes, consider that 1 is not a prime. Good point: We would not pass "1" as the 1st parameter range1.

Thanks
-Rama

imagem de dotcsw
Rama,

Quoting Rama Kishan Malladi (Intel) Good point: We would not pass "1" as the 1st parameter range1.

Does that mean the first and second parameters [range1, range2] will both be primes? It simplifies the logic slightly if we can assume that they are. Otherwise we have to search for the next prime >= range1 and the last prime <= range2.

- Rick

imagem de hitesh.sharma

I do not think, it means that both parameters will be primes. They may be anything but both are inluded.

imagem de Rama Kishan Malladi (Intel)

Please don't assume that range1 and range2 will be prime. Assume generic case.

Thanks
-Rama

imagem de krivyakin

There are any tests except from task?

imagem de dotcsw
Quoting dotcsw Looking at the example output from "primesums.exe 1 29 6 sumsout.txt" one thing I do not see is:
sum(1:9) = 27 = 3**3

Oops. That was a bad example. 9 is not prime.

- Rick

Faça login para deixar um comentário.