IPP Itanium2 vs Pentium/Xeon

IPP Itanium2 vs Pentium/Xeon

What specific portions of IPP benefit most from Itanium2 processors?

That is, I would suppose that almost all IPP library methods are faster on a moderate (1.40GHz with 1.5MB L3 cache) Itanium2 than on the latest generation of Xeon/Pentium family of processors; but I suspect that while some are only marginally faster, others are remarkably faster (then again, my seat-of-the-pants impressions are often wrong) [1].

Are there exhaustive test results available for comparison? If not, what is the canonical theology (i.e., about specific functionality sets, rather than a general statement that Itanium2 is faster)?

Whatever the current state, how (specifically) do you expect the comparison to trend as all Intel processor lines mature?

Regards,

Ray Heath

[1] And indeed, I would generally expect a response curve where the size of the data being processed becomes a primary driver for the comparison (e.g., compared to cache size, tiny-data / medium-data / large-data / very-large-and-therefore-necessarily-streaming-data would exhibit very different IPP effectiveness ratios across the different processors).

3 posts / novo 0
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.

Hi Ray,
yes, Itanium2 is faster, especially with the IPP functions processing FP data, for example, FFT & DFT transform and filtering. This is fundamental feature - Itanium2 is faster Xeon. Performance numbers for all IPP domains are available in the product toolsperfsysdata folder.

Boris

Thanks Boris - Exactly the kind of information we needed!

Regards,

Ray Heath

Deixar um comentário

Faça login para adicionar um comentário. Não é membro? Inscreva-se hoje mesmo!