VxWorks

VxWorks

Hello,

I know this is the Intel C++ Compiler forum but I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

My target platform is Pentium IV/VxWorks (I did not make the decision :(). So I am stuck with gcc. What options do I have to take advantage of advanced features of Pentium IV such as SSE2, other than writing portion of the code in assembly? Can Intel intrinsics be used with gcc? From what I understand that IPP can not be used with VxWorks.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-pailoor

5 posts / novo 0
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.

pailoor,
Welcome!
I will admit that I am not particularly familiar with VxWorks. If your program is written in C, can you break out any performance hotspots to a separate file, build that with the Intel compiler and link it? Note that C programs (unlike C++) are binary compatible with gcc.

Did that help at all?

Ganesh

Hi Ganesh,

VxWorks is the name of a RTOS from a company called WindRiver. It is a very widely used os used in the embedded world.

You wrote "Note that C programs (unlike C++) are binary compatible with gcc." Do mean the object file created by Intel compiler is compatible with gcc?

Thanks,

pailoor

SSE2 code generation and support for Intel SSE intrinsics first came into gcc at version 3.1. Only the latest un-released versions have any SSE2 intrinsics support, and that is not well tested. Typical options are:

gcc -O2 -funroll-loops -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse -pipe ...

No parallel instructions are generated by gcc, although they could be invoked by asm() or intrinsics.

Ability to mix icc and gcc compiled code when using parallel SSE instructions is limited. Data can be declared with the necessary alignment in gcc only in functions called by gcc-compiled functions, not in main(), and not in gcc-compiled functions called by icc-compiled functions. malloc() alignments are likely to need adjustment.

I doubt anyone has looked into additional complications involved in using icc .o files under VxWorks.

Pailoor,

Could you kindly open this as a feature request on premier.intel.com?
That would be the preferred way to track this feature request.

Thanks!
Ganesh

Faça login para deixar um comentário.