Uninstalling

Uninstalling

I've read in several places that on uninstall, we must remove anything we install as well as any user-specific files we create. We are porting a PC game to run on the Atom, and I see two potential problems with this requirement: 1. We install DirectX, which does not have an uninstaller. Specifically, we depend on a specific version of the D3DX library, which is installed in the system folders by Microsoft's DirectX installer. Microsoft stated that the DirectX runtime cannot be uninstalled. 2. User-created content such as saved games and setting files are typically left in place when a game is uninstalled. We are concerned about support calls from users who are upset that we deleted their saved games should they reinstall our game later.
22 posts / novo 0
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.

Hi Guys!

Can you please clarify one thing: if our application (game) will not delete user's save files after the user uninstalls the application, and will not ask the user if they want to keep it or remove it – just the “silence” uninstall that leaves save files as they are, will our app pass validation or will it be rejected?

Hi Gera,

Thank you for ypur query.

As discussed above, if the Uninstall is not clean it will cause your application to fail validation.
However there was an exception given for user created files such as game profiles, where you need to prompt the user whether they want to keep the files or not during uninstall. In these situations if the user agrees to keep the files, then this is will not cause your app to be rejected.

If your applications generate user created files, they need to be remove during uninstall. If you want them to pass validation, you should include the prompt that asks the user's decision before removing the files.

Regards
Rooven

Intel® Customer Support
Intel® Atom™ Developer Program
Intel® AppUp(SM) Center

Regards, DG Rooven

Thanks for quick clarification!

Hi Rooven,

Installed game can be launched by each user of local machine. Game creates profile for user in his "Application Data" folder during execution. How do you suggest to clean profiles of all users during uninstall process trigger by single user? Do you know any correct way to retrieve "Application Data" path (CSIDL_APPDATA in WinAPI) for logged off users?..

Hi Reldi,

Thank you for your query.

In general, an application installed by user will only be visible to this particular user when he/she is logged-in to the AppUp(SM) Center. Hence it is only this specific user that can uninstall the application and deletes the corresponding profile if it exists. Another user cannot delete or uninstall an application installed by another user. This is not an allowed process on the AppUp(SM).

I will get back to you if I get more information on this topic.

Regards
Rooven

Intel® Customer Support
Intel® AppUp(SM) Center

Regards, DG Rooven

OK, we will clean current user's profile only and connive at possibility of launching game by other users (this possibility exists at this moment).
Thanks.

Marc,

You are correct that both point contradict the current Application Guidelines document.

One possible solution for #2 is to prompt the user to remove application specific saved game files. This would have to be approved by Intel.

About #2 - how to ask user about saved games if installer must work in the silent mode and no UI must be displayed?

Dmitry,

"This would have to be approved by Intel.". Someone from Intel will catch this thread and give a verdict on that possibility.

Hello,

Thank you for the query. Interesting thing you guys pointed out.
I will try to get some more clarification about this particular issue.
I will get back to you when I get a response from the concerned department.

Regards
Rooven

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program Team

Regards, DG Rooven

Thank you Rooven. I look forward to getting these questions sorted out.

I've used the analogy of a word processor to explain the saved game issue before. When I uninstall a word processor program, it doesn't delete all the documents I've written - those are my documents, not the program's. Similarly, we view the saved games as the user's files, not the game's.

This may or may not help Intel make a decision. I am not making a determination, merely interjecting how I see the Validation Guidelines in this case.

The Validation Guidelines state:

"Check for garbage files left behind by uninstall using resource utility. "

In this case I do not believe they are referring to application state data files (or saved games), as "garbage files".

I thought I had read in one of the official documents that the application had to uninstall everything it installed. On that point, they are not requiring the C++ Runtime to be uninstalled. We will have to see what Intel decides, best of luck.

Thanx for the support, Brian. That was my initial thought, too, but when I asked for clarification on the Application Readiness Checklist comments, Andre replied that all files related to my app must be removed. (That's probably what you were remembering).

It must be a hard question - they've been talking about it for over a week now.

Hello Marc,

you are correct, we still discuss this topic. Once a decision is ready I'll post it here.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

You're correct that DirectX won't be uninstalled. This isn't an issue. User-created content isn't considered garbage. I would ask the user if they want to keep it or remove it.

Bill,

Thank you for the feedback. How does Intel view saved game files or even application configuration files?

Hello,

@Brian
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/node/941#comment-1932 :)

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Brian-

I took Bill's answer to mean that saved games and config files are both user-created and are therefore exceptions to the "must uninstall" rule. I'm glad Intel agrees that asking the user gives the best customer experience in that situation.

Andre, since that seems to answer both my questions, could you clarify what is still under discussion? Thank you!

-Marc

Hello Marc,

I need to confirm that Bill's response will turn into our official rules and this might take a bit more of time.
Shouldn't take too long and I will post the result here asap.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Hello All,

please follow the statement from Bill some posts above, there should be no problem to pass validation with the scenarios we have discussed here.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Thank you Andre, all part of the Beta process :)

Deixar um comentário

Faça login para adicionar um comentário. Não é membro? Inscreva-se hoje mesmo!