Oops! Something weird happened…

Oops! Something weird happened…

Hello All, Some developers are seeing Oops errors during BETA testing of their applications. The development team is working hard on understanding why some developers are seeing OOPs errors. Many applications test successfully and do not have this error. We believe that the OOPs errors are typically packaging issues but we are not ruling out issues with the client. We are looking at what we can do better to help you (better documentation, more descriptive error messages) solve these issues. We appreciate your patience and we should have a final answer on this soon. Once again, packaging requirements are posted here: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/packaging-requirements Regards, Hal G. Technical Support Team Intel® Atom™ Developer Program Intel® AppUp(SM) Center
28 posts / novo 0
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.

Thanks Hal. This is BETA software, we are the testers in a way ;)

Thanks Hal for creating a sticky for this topic, it helps to direct developers to this sticky, so that they can resolve any issues with packaging that may be causing this error.

Cheers!
Rohan

Hope this issue gets fixed at the earliest.

I've found one way to easily reproduce Oops errors here. It may not be related to all cases being experienced, but hopefully it will still help.

1. Install a working application inside AppUp.
2. Uninstall and re-install AppUp.
3. AppUp will now show the previously [and still] installed application as a "Pending Download".
4. Trying to install the app again at this point throws the Oops error.

If I uninstall the app from Windows Control Panel, and then do step 4, it all works okay.

Thanks John, you had posted this information on another thread, no break through! as as yet, Reproducing the steps for Oops error! for the developers I have Beta tested for

1. In pending Downloads Click on Download
2. Download completes
3. Installation progress bar starts
4. At some point during this process the errpr shows up

But the app can be launched from the Program files menu. But one aspect that I have noted is that, if an app does not give the Oops error. The launch button and the uninstall button appear, but in all the apps I have beta tested for with the Oops error this is not the case.

Cheers!
Rohan

Hey John,

Even I am facing the same issue and have posted it in a different thread. I did a Beta test for few apps which had Oops error issue. As Rohan has mentioned, the Oops error comes normally during the initialization point, but some times it comes at the begining itself (When I click Download).

For One particular app the Oops error did not come either during intialization or during the dowload (Earlier the Oops error used to come at the Initialization or Downloading stage). Apps got Download, Intialization happened but did not launch automatically. When I clicked LAUNCH button in the AppUp, Oops Error comes.

But if I click the shorcut available on the desktop or launch from Program, apps gets lauched.

I followed you suggestion and did not work... You and your apps are lucky :)

Hope there would a fix to this issue soon, else there would be many fallouts.

Praveen

Hi,

Heard from the validation team that there is a very good chance that the Oops Error is a packaging issue, especially if the error is produced with these steps.

1. In pending Downloads Click on Download
2. Download completes
3. Installation progress bar starts
4. At some point during this process the error shows up or even during downloading progress bar indication

Take a look at this article, that talk about using a ORCA to help identify packaging issues.
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/troubleshooting-validation-failures

Let us know how this works out, i will be posting on the feedback that I get from the developer community I am interacting with

Cheers!
Rohan

So this error is happening due to Object-Oriented Programming I guess. It is such a Britney Spears error:- Oops, I did it again.

Any ways, it seems I am getting this Oops error as well during the download phase when Beta Testing an app for download. It has nothing to do with installing the application, or is the download phase also the initialising phase for how AppUp does it installs.

As for beta testing environment, I am using Windows 7 Professional, could that have something to do with it, as I only see Windows 7 Starter in the supported OS list.

What Operating System is everyone running that gets this Oops errors?
Also what OS are the people that do not get the Oops errors running for the Beta Application Download and testing?

Kind Regards,
Shelvin Datt.

Hello,

if you get an Oops message during download that normally indicates a timeout during data transfer.

If you get an Oops message when the download is at 99/100% and the setup gets initialized, this indicates that the MSI installer doesn't follow our guidelines. We have done intensive testing on this issue and found no problem on the AppUp Center nor our backend servers.

Please do any Beta Testing only on supported OS which currently are Windows 7 Starter and Windows XP SP3. Also I recommend to use a "fresh and clean" default OS installation to catch any missing dependencies on the system which is big part of applications failing validation.

To use virtual machines like VMware or to simply restore back a clean OS image after a test run helps a lot to avoid problems.

Best Regards

Andre B.

Technical Support Team
Intel® Atom™ Developer Program
Intel® AppUp(SM) Center

Good point about using a virtual test environment to ensure consistency.

Please find instructions here if needed: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/blog/2009/12/24/how-setup-virtual-test-environment-using-vmware-player-free-solution

Thanks,
Andre, that must just be the issue in my case.
Will try with Windows XP SP3 clean install, with faster connection speed.

Regards,
Shelvin.

Hi All,
Just an update. Yes Andre, it was intermittent connectivity issues on my part.

AppUp Beta worked on Windows 7, and it downloaded and installed my Application without any errors.

Will start testing the installation package on Windows XP SP3 in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Shelvin.

Hello Shelvin,

glad to see you make progress ! :)

Best Regards

Andre B.

Technical Support Team
Intel® AppUp(SM) Center

Please can there be more info about this oops error?

I am unable to beta test my app because of this problem. Downloading and installing goes fine (though the progress bar stays at 00% all the time), but when I try to launch: "Oops, something weird happened and we couldn't complete your request", etc. After that launch doesn't do anything and you have to restart the AppUp to see the error again.

My app works fine from the desktop, and all path issues are fixed (I can start it from anywhere without problems). I checked the msi with orca and everything is like the second example.

I'm testing on a Netbook with WinXP SP3 (Dutch).

Wiering,

A few things you may check:

1.) Ensure that the ATOM SDK is not installed on the same computer as the AppUp client. AppUp is known to show launch/behavioral problems when the ATOM SDK is installed on the same computer.
2.) Close AppUp, then open the task manager and kill the "Service Manager" process. Restart AppUp and try again
3.) Re-install AppUp, reboot and try again
4.) Ensure you do not have an agressive application protection utility installed

If the above suggestions fail, you may consider testing on a different computer. If that still goes poorly, build you application in Debug mode, and upload for beta testing. From there you may attach your debugger and gain additional information on why it does not want to launch properly.

Does it run correctly locally using ATDS?

1) I never installed the ATOM SDK on my netbook
2) No difference, and the service manager restarts automatically
3) I've already done that so many times that I got the error "Oops, you have reached the maximum number of devices that can be associated with an account" (strange that it counts reinstalling as a new device BTW)
4) I already tried deactivating all other active programs including the virus scanner (MS Security Essentials), no difference

I also tested it on my old desktop PC (win XP), same result.

Yes, it runs correctly on my development machine using ADTS and the debug GUID.

I don't see much point in uploading a debug version of my program, since I really don't believe the AppUp ever starts anything I install on my configuration. I've tried replacing the (installed) main executable with versions that start by displaying something, nothing happens at all, always just the Oops error.

Just thinking, could it be that the AppUp can't handle the "&" in the name of the application folder (Olaf & Elmar)?

*EDIT* correction, it can find my executable, if I remove the executable, AppUp detects that it's gone and removes the app from My Apps as well, so it's probably not the "&".

Wiering,
Probably it could be a similar issue we have with shellexecute. We are not using shellexecute at the time of launch so our app comes up fine but I think in your case, may be you are using at the begining, so it could be that nothing comes up after shellexecute failed.

Wiering,

Thank you for your reply.

Initially you were getting the 'Opps, something weird happened. Please contact support.' error and now you seem to be getting a different Oops error (Oops, you have reached the maximum number of devives that can be assiociated with an account.)

Please can you tell us if you are still getting the second error message?
Are you still able to login to the AppUp(SM) Beta Center?
On what operating system you are testing? Please specify all (if more than one).
On how many systems do you have the AppUp(SM) set-up?

Have you invited any other users to Beta test your application? If yes, are they having the same issue?

Is this the only application you are having issue with? Or do you have other applications that are working fine from the AppUp(SM) center?

Please note based on the operating system, in order to Kill the Service Manager you need to first delete the storeData.bin from the folder (below) and then Go to Task Manager and kill the ServiceManager.exe. After doing that, you need to restart the system.
On XP the storeData is found in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intel\IntelAppStoreBeta
On Windows 7, it can be found under ProgramData\Intel\IntelAppStoreBeta

Regards
Rooven

Intel® AppUp(SM) Beta Center

Regards, DG Rooven

Rooven,

This is gold, need to place it somewhere sticky if possible as it helps greatly when debugging an odd problem:

"Please note based on the operating system, in order to Kill the Service Manager you need to first delete the storeData.bin from the folder (below) and then Go to Task Manager and kill the ServiceManager.exe. After doing that, you need to restart the system.
On XP the storeData is found in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Intel\IntelAppStoreBeta
On Windows 7, it can be found under ProgramData\Intel\IntelAppStoreBeta"

Just to add another data point, I'm getting the "Oops! Something weird happened and we couldn't complete your request..." problem when launching my app within the AppUp Client beta. Launching the app outside out AppUp Client works fine. The interesting thing is that I have two other apps that launch fine inside or outside of AppUp Client. The only difference is the failed app requires admin privilege elevation to run on Windows 7.

Here's the reproducing scenario.

- Windows 7 installed on a VirtualBox VM. AppUp Client is installed. The VM is snapshot.
- The VM snapshot is restored to start at the point of AppUp Client installed.
- Run AppUp, login, select my app from Pending Download (beta testing invitation).
- Download and install my app fine.
- My app shows up in the AppUp client and on the Windows desktop.
- Launching my app in AppUp gives the "Oops" error.
- Launching my app from desktop works fine. Windows 7's privilege elevation dialogbox pops up and the app starts fine.

Since my other two apps (non-elevation) start fine inside or outside of AppUp Client, does that mean AppUp Client cannot handle admin privilege elevation apps?

ww8520,

What happens when you add an application manifest to your application and try again?

brian, the app's exe already has an manifest embedded, with UAC Execution Level set to requireAdministrator to do privilege elevation when run.

ww8520,

I just put together a quick test and you are correct. When launched from AppUp my test also fails to elevate privileges correctly. Definitely something for the ATOM team to review. Thanks for pointing this out.

Brian, it's good that you can reproduce it, too. Hopefully that's the root cause of the problem.

Hello,

Thanks for your post. We will check it out.

Regards,

Hal G.
Technical Support Team
Intel AppUp(SM) Center

I submitted an app that failed validation with minimal info (process failed to load - not really correct)
My initial testing had the app successfully downloading, installing and executing on WinXP prior to linking with the Atom libs.
After failing to validate, I signed up for the AppStore Beta testing program, the app only appears to fail on Win7, generating an OOPS, and it happens just when it's installing the app.
Installing the app without the AppStore beta on Win7 generates the Windows security dialog box "security warning: publisher cannot be verified..." and then installs and runs correctly.
In my case, I can only assume that the OOPS is because of the Intel's "No Dialog Box rule" at installation time.
I believe the only solution here is to buy an expensive digital signature or to not support Win7, at least, until the AppStore gamble is financially viable to justify the expense...
So an additional packaging requirement for Win7 support is a digital signature.

I found it even weirder. The beta-test download sometimes succeeds and sometimes failed with this "Oop?..." message.

I tried many many times and still have not found the pattern.

But once I upgrade my product, the beta-test download always fails right after the upload. After half an hour, the download might succeeds but sometimes it fails again.

Hard to understand why.

Deixar um comentário

Faça login para adicionar um comentário. Não é membro? Inscreva-se hoje mesmo!