MeeGo for tablets problems

MeeGo for tablets problems

imagem de AwesomeBytes
Hello I'm happy to have on my hands an ExoPC with MeeGo to develop on it but I see some problems: At first I looked on a youtube video of what I should expect while doing the first battery charge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeeQd-YNL0 It looked great! All very smooth, very clean and fast. But... when I booted my ExoPC my MeeGo version was kind of... unsatisfactory. It failed to boot the first time. Then it booted, it started in some type of "blocked screen" mode which says nothing, but well there is a triangle, you hit it and you are on the "desktop". It does not work as smooth as in the video of youtube. Sometimes it gets totally blocked and I need to turn it off with the button. Apps crash (and they seem to be really simple). If you tap 2 times and move your finger to the bottom from the top of the screen you get into some type of menu that seems to be some debugging stuff: http://awesomebytes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/exopc12.jpg Multitouch is not working (well, or there isnt any app that supports multitouch). Its very slow on changing from horizontal to vertical position. The battery indicator does not say how much battery is left. If I open a terminal I can't type in it without an external keyboard. (This sucks!) Well, in general, its not working. Its this supposed to be like this? Are you going to update it to what its seen on the video soon? I tried downloading last version of MeeGo for tablets and tried it from a USB and its exactly that. Sorry to talk so bad about it, but I'm worried about it!
11 posts / 0 new
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.
imagem de Brian Kazian (Intel)

That video was from a "pre" pre-alpha version of MeeGo for tablets shown at Computex last June. My understanding is that the underpinnings of MeeGo have been converted to QML and that includes the tablet UX. This was a pretty recent switch so there presumably hasn't been as much time spent on performance optimization.

Multi-touch support isn't currently active in the pre-alpha release and many of the other issues you mentioned are ones that are not unique to you. Since this is still a pre-alpha release, expect a lot of things to not work correctly. It's mainly for developer's to get familiar with the tablet user experience and allowing them to start testing apps on an actual device.

Glad you got it working, and expect that by the time the alpha/beta releases arrive, most of the issues you brought up should be fixed.

imagem de vyau

Hi AwesomeBytes:
Thanks for trying out the ExoPC with MeeGo.
Our current MeeGo 1.2 Tablet UX release is in pre-alpha status. There are indeed room for improvement. Please bear with us. I will take your feedback and channel them to the right team so they can work on fixes.
Please do raise your questions in this forum. We are not only interested in hearing from you but also in helping you as well.

Thanks

--Vincent

imagem de Mihov.com web solutions Ltd

Hello, I'm glad to have the AxoPC with MeeGo as well. I have tested it as the first thing I came home from Barcelona and I have discovered all the same problems as AwesomeBytes is writing about.

Also, I have this two problems/questions:
How can I run or install Intel AppUp on the device? Right now I can't install any software on it. I have downloaded IntelAppStoreBeta-moblin-installer.sh from http://www.appup.com/applications/index but I don't know how to run it since there is no file manager on the system and no keyboard in terminal.
The other problem is related to browsing Google Maps. I haven't found a way to scroll the maps by dragging them - all it happens is that the maps zooms in every time I try. This behaviour changes where I can't zoom in any more - then the maps scrolls like expected. I'm not sure if this is a bug or I just can't find the right gestures to use. I'd use pinching, but multitouch is not working.

imagem de vyau

Hi Mihov.com:

Thanks for attending our AppLab. For your questions:

1) The AppUp client you downloaded from appup.com is for Moblin and we will discontinue that very soon.
To download our beta AppUp client, please visit this URL:

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/meego-sdk-suite

and go to section 3 towards the bottom of the page

2) The Google maps problem you are describing does sound like a multi-touch problem. We are working to improve on that. Stay tuned and we should have an update very soon.

Let us know if you have other questions.

--Vincent

Hi vyau,

thank you for your help, it's very useful. I have downloaded AppUp for Tablet Alpha from the link you've sent me, but again I'm having the same problem that I can't run it - there is no file manager and terminal doesn't show keyboard.

Miha

imagem de AwesomeBytes

I bought a cheap USB keyboard to be able to use the terminal...

I don't know if the new installation script needs it but for the Moblin version I needed to execute it as root and the password is "meego". good luck!

imagem de vyau

Hi Miha

Yes, you will need an external keyboard (such as USB keyboard) to use "Terminal" to install AppUp client.
Hope you can get hold of one.

Let us know if you have other questions.

--Vincent

imagem de vyau

Hi AwesomeBytes,

It is still required to be root to install the MeeGo AppUp client.
And the password is still "meego".

An example of the command:

$ sudo rpm -ivv

Thanks

--Vincent

Hi,,
I have managed to install AppUp with a use of an USB keyboard. However, when I run it and select my country (Slovenia) there are no apps available in any of the categories. Should I choose another country?

Miha

imagem de vyau

Hi Miha:

We will have some apps populating the catalog very soon. Please stay tuned.

thanks

--Vincent

Faça login para deixar um comentário.