Any driver to replace the mouse

Any driver to replace the mouse

Hi all,

I just approached the overall topic. I downloaded the SDK and I'm considering to purchase the camera.

A first question: besides exotic demos, does the SDK provide any Windows (7/64) driver to replace the mouse as an overall system device ? I mean as a built-in driver without any ad-hoc programming.

Thanks - Renzo

9 posts / novo 0
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.
imagem de daflippers

Hi Renzo,

The short answer would be 'no' and the longer answer might be 'no but the SDK allows you to use gestures/speech to do what you want so you could define gestures/speech to initiate the functions that are currently done by the mouse'.

David

Hi David,
from your reply I understand that only dedicated applications will work with this SDK+camera pair.
Not much help for everyday life.
Thanks - Renzo

imagem de Xavier H. (Intel)

Hi Renzo,

On Windows 8, you can develop a dedicated app that works with the SDK+camera and uses the Touch Injection Framework to inject touch events. In that case you don't need a driver to use it as input device.
But that API is not available on Windows 7.

Xavier.

imagem de daflippers

Hi Renzo,

You have to bear in mind this is cutting edge implementation technology. Just as the precursor of the mouse existed for a long time before it became integral to the OS gestures/speech need to be defined, implemented, tested and refined before they will appear as standard features in an OS.

Touch gestures are now implemented in the new Windows 8 UI (formerly known as 'Metro') but these gestures are not necessarily the same as those used on Android or IOS. What needs to happen is for a standard set of gestures associated with functions to gain acceptance but this will take time.

Alternatively it might well turn out that the gestures will be configurable so the user can define their own set of gestures but there would need to be a common fallback for support purposes.

Also don't forget a seemingly innocent gesture may be deeply offensive in different culture.

David

Hi Renzo,
it isn't hard to implement a mouse controller out of the SDK examples. You don't need a driver, just call the win32 functions mouse_event and setcursorpos and feed them with the recognized fingertip position...

imagem de daflippers

You also need to change the mindset. The way you control the PC using a mouse is dictated by what the mouse can do. You must not fall into the trap of how can I replicate the mouse with gestures.

You need to think of the end result of the action and how to gesture/speak that. Signing for deaf does not try to replicate spelling out words rather it gestures concepts and meanings.

David

Thanks to all. To clarify, I'm not endorsing mouse usage at any cost - just wondering about how to match OS and/or third party software - I cannot control - against these new ways to interact.And before figuring out new fantastic finger/hand combinations I would first try to achieve old-style interactions: move, click and double-click, all from a 3-d space. More friendly, less constrained.
Then the news ...

Renzo

imagem de daflippers

As an aside, I have my UB connected to an external full HD screen and have Windows 8 Desktop on the external screen and 'Metro' on UB. Touch events work on the UB screen and blank the mouse pointer until the mouse is moved. So I can scroll a document on the 'Metro' reader with my finger and the move the mouse on the external screen at the same time. Of course mouse buttons are 'up' as soon as there is a touch event so you can't do much but it is neat to see the mouse position is not changed to the 'Metro' screen.

David

P.S. Can someone come up with a name other than 'new Windows 8 UI'?

Faça login para deixar um comentário.