Ultrabook touch screen input not detected after reinstalling Win8

Ultrabook touch screen input not detected after reinstalling Win8

Hi,

I was a developer in the recent Intel AppUp App Innovation contest, and received an Ultrabook as part of the competition. I recently purchased Windows 8 for it as I didn't have an MSDN account. Upon reinstalling Windows 8 the device no longer responds to touch input, which was working fine before. I'm guessing maybe I need a driver which wasn't supplied on the USB stick which came with the device, or need to otherwise help Windows detect the hardware.

I have tried using Intel Premier Support but it is no help. In order to request support I am required to provide the category of my support, but there is no Ultrabook section. Instead there is a list of options listing various compilers and performance analyzers.

I've tried emailing quadsupport@mailbox.intel.com for my Intel rep. No response yet, although it's only been 24 hours.

Please can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

http://adamdavidhill.com/
9 posts / novo 0
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.
Best Reply

SOLUTION - 

The issue is purely down to the edition of Windows 8.

Operating systems which DO work:

• Windows 8 Trial
  • Windows 8 from MSDN
  • Windows 7 

Operating systems which DON'T work:

• Windows 8 Pro Retail DVD OEM

From what I can see, developers without access to an MSDN subscription cannot develop for Intel Ultrabooks running Win 8 once their trial runs out.

Will drivers be released to allow "normal" copies of Win 8 to respond to touch? 

Hello , Did you find a solution.

I have encountered a same issue. I have even upgraded windows to 8.1. Yet no luck the touchscreen isnt working. 

Quote:

Dr. Philipp B. wrote:

Hello , Did you find a solution.

I have encountered a same issue. I have even upgraded windows to 8.1. Yet no luck the touchscreen isnt working. 

Only in as much as I coincidentally moved to a job where I then had access to the MSDN version of Windows 8, which works fine, so I'm fortunate. Quite an infuriating issue, though. I find it unbelievable that a touch-optimised operating system simply doesn't actually support touch! I fear if you only have a normal "consumer" oriented edition of Windows 8 there is no solution.

Yes i eventually installed all the drivers and touch started working.

The ultrabook comes with all drivers in a USB key. install those and you will be fine.

Quote:

Hermit Dave wrote:

Yes i eventually installed all the drivers and touch started working.

The ultrabook comes with all drivers in a USB key. install those and you will be fine.

Were you on the original install of Windows that came with the device, though? My problem was that I'd reinstalled Windows with my own shop-bought copy, and it lacked the "Pen & Touch" section in the control panel. Reinstalling Windows again, but specifically one of the versions above fixed this.

yes i recently did a clean install. however in my case i went for Windows 8.1 RTM and had same issue briefly. I installed drivers from USB key and its all good now.

I have tried re-installing the drivers and I get a dialogue box with message something like "Drivers cannot be installed OS version not compatible." I think I need to reinstall the OS or wait for some fix from Intel 

Actualy windows 8 comes with some drivers inbuilt in the OS itself. For example I recently added a new porinter and I donot require to install any driver for that. It starts printing as instructed without any driver installed. This means that the OS contains some drivers in it. Also I noted that sound, lan and modem drivers along with cd-dvd writing tools are included in the OS itself. The only thing you need to do is that you need to connect those devices with your pc. But touch screen may require a driver as it is a new technology and you require to install a driver as the OS may not have inbuilt driver for touch.

Deixar um comentário

Faça login para adicionar um comentário. Não é membro? Inscreva-se hoje mesmo!