Question on upgrading Intel Fortran compiler version with Fortran 2003 and 2008 features in mind

Question on upgrading Intel Fortran compiler version with Fortran 2003 and 2008 features in mind

imagem de FortranFan

I've a question on Intel Fortran compiler versions and am hoping for a response from the Intel staff who follow this forum.

I currently use Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 Update 8 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010.  The build logs show Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 12.1.2.278.  It appears there have been several compiler updates since my purchase; Composer XE 2013 seems to be the latest version.

My questions are:

* does Intel plan a new Fortran compiler version every year?  I see Intel lists 2011, 2011 Update, 2012, and 2013 on their support website which is a rather high frequency of releases with at least one update a year.

* if one is not looking for support renewal but is instead only seeking compiler software update, is there a way to upgrade the compiler version without having to pay hundreds of dollars each time (Intel website quotes $599 for upgrading to 2013 but that includes support renewal)?

I am looking for Fortran 2003 and 2008 features, but these are only getting implemented incrementally and my organization cannot afford to pay for each upgrade.

Thanks, 

4 posts / 0 new
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.
imagem de Steve Lionel (Intel)

We did not have a release with 2012 in its name, but we do tend to have a significant new version each year. The numbering/naming of the releases is no longer a good indication of how significant the changes are. The current product name is Composer XE 2013 and the current compiler version is 13.0. We release minor updates about every six weeks, generally with bug fixes and not significant new features. But sometimes new features are in a minor update. The next update, Composer XE 2013 Update 2, is due out later this month.

When you buy the product, or a support renewal, you get the ability to install any new updates or versions released during your support term (in yearly increments.) You can choose to not keep up to date, but waiting too long to buy support renewal will raise the cost. We do not offer compiler updates separate from support.

We do continue to add F2003 and F2008 features. Which ones in particular were you interested in?

Steve
imagem de FortranFan

Steve,

Thanks much for your reply - I understand better now even though I was "hoping against hope" for a different answer!

"We do continue to add F2003 and F2008 features. Which ones in particular were you interested in? - I'm just starting to educate myself on the new features in the standards, so it's early to say which features are needed.  But from what I've seen thus far, SUBMODULES, ABSTRACT types and interfaces, GENERICs including operators, DO CONCURRENT, and other features of parallel processing of loops, etc. look interesting.  Of these, it appears all but SUBMODULES may be available in 13.0 version.  However, I see some posts on this forum that raise some issues (possibly bugs) with newly added features and this has me worried of productivity loss in trying to figure out whether it is a programming error or a compiler bug while trying to make use of a new capability. 

Fyi, I'm in the process of updating a large set of very important legacy code written during 1970s and 1980s in a mix of Fortran IV and 66 to Fortran 77 with some vendor enhancements (e.g., END DO).  The code works great as-is and is used extensively, but as you'd expect, it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot when any problems arise or to make any changes to it.  I am in the early stages of redesigning the code architecture.  What would have been great is to know a full-feature, fully-tested  Fortran 2008 (or at least 2003) compiler that integrates well with Microsoft Visual Studio is available.  This is so I don't have to cross-check whether a particular feature that fits greatly with the code redesign is included and if it works correctly.  I say this because my organization would like to be done with the code upgrade over a relatively short time-frame.  It may be another 20-30 years (if at all ever again) before the code is upgraded again.  So it would have been great if I could have full consideration of the current Fortran standard in my redesign instead of what is available and working.

Best Regards,

imagem de Steve Lionel (Intel)

No, submodules are not available. All the other features you mention are supported today.

Bugs are unfortunate but the overall bug rate in the current product is very low. In the forums for any product you typically see only problems reported - it's the nature of the medium.

Steve

Faça login para deixar um comentário.