Intel Fortran supports the general purpose GPU programming?

Intel Fortran supports the general purpose GPU programming?

HI, everyone,

I want to know if the latest INTEL Fortran compiler supports the GPGPU(the General Purpose Graphic Processing Unit) programming. Currently our oil reservoir simulators are implemented with the Intel Fortran. To  offload computationally intensive componets of the simulator to the GPGPU, is Intel Fortran able to support and compile the GPU codes together with previously existing Simulator Frotran Codes?  Can the GPU code be compiled and run or debugged on the CPU before generating the acceleration kernels for the GPU? If so, it is very useful to speed-up the development process.

I look forward to hearing from Intel and thanks in advance.

Dingjun

14 posts / novo 0
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.

Hi Dingjun,

I'm going to move this to the Intel® Fortran Compiler forum, as that is a more appropriate place to ask this question.

I also recommend looking into the Intel® Xeon Phi" Coprocessor.  The coprocessor is supported by the Intel® Fortran Compiler as well as other Intel® Software Development Products.  Your code will not have to change significantly in order to take advantage of the coprocessor's offload capability, and some tools also have an automatic offload capability so that you won't have to make any changes in order to take advantage of the coprocessor.

Sincerely,
James Tullos
Technical Consulting Engineer
Intel® Cluster Tools

The Intel Compilers only support Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) Coprocessors. For more information, look here:

The main web portal for Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) Coprocessor

Compiler Methodology for Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) Coprocessor

Check out FortranCL, which works with the intel compiler. https://code.google.com/p/fortrancl/

Intel Fortran complier supports OpenMP directives, I want to know if the Intel Fortran complier supports the OpenACC directives for GPU accelarator?

If Intel Fortran complier supports both directives programming, it would be very helpful for  us to program with both OpenMP and OpenACC directives in our existing Fortran codes.

next major release would introduce open mp 4.0 agreed successor to open acc

The current compiler version already includes support for the offload and SIMD syntax for OpenMP* 4.0 Technical Report 1. There have been some changes for offloading between Techinical Report 1 and the current revision of the OpenMP 4.0 standard, RC2. As Tim said, these will be implemented in the next major release.

Thanks indeed for your reply. Hopefully the Intel Fortran Compiler ifort.exe can support both OpenMP and OpenACC directives soon. Thererfore, this could cause a huge convenience in programming to improve the parallel performance of our reservoir simulators. The use of GPU accelerator is popular now and we are looking forward to your latest Intel Composer XE 2013/2014 version supporting OpenACC directives.

To be clear, we only support the offloading to Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors in the next release. We have no current plans to support offloading to other accelerators.

My only concern is whether or not the future Intel Fortran Compiler is going to support the OpenACC directives just like it right now is supporting the OpenMP directives. Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors could be our option as long as the Intel Fortran Compiler supports the OpenACC directives. This is not a problem.

Please read the public documentation on OpenMP 4.0 RC2 so as to understand the modifications you would need to go from current OpenACC into the future.   The standard is intended to support all devices currently covered by OpenACC and OpenMP.

I just read the Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor Developer's Quick Start Guide for Windows Host, and was told that

" The operating system (OS) supported and validated on the host are: Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1".

But Windows 7 Professional is installed on my computer. My question is as follows:

Is it a mandatory for the Windows Enterprise to be installed as OS?

As per the instruction on where to take issues under the Windows* early enabling announcement (http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/392264), please re-post your question under the Intel® Many Integrated Core Architecture (Intel MIC Architecture) forum at: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-many-integrated-core

Thank you

We have no plans to support OpenACC directives.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Deixar um comentário

Faça login para adicionar um comentário. Não é membro? Inscreva-se hoje mesmo!