How to store settings when Installing New Version of Intel Fortran

How to store settings when Installing New Version of Intel Fortran

imagem de sumitm

Hello,

Is there are good way of exporting the compiler settings when upgrading and installing new Fortran Software Updates.

After any new install I if I try to recompile my application typically it would run into hundreds of errors with files and directory includes not found and I will have to manually set them lets say for f90gl libs etc

Is there a way to export the settings beforehand and import them after the new install to make it less painful.

Thanks

12 posts / 0 new
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.
imagem de Steve Lionel (Intel)

It is supposed to preserve the settings you made in Tools > Options. Are those the settings you refer to? Did you select to replace the previous install or do a "side by side" install? Which version did you recently install?

Steve

I just tested this with installing Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 2 over the previous update - it preserved custom settings for include and library folders under Tools > Options > Directories. This feature is relatively new to the product - I think it started about a year ago. If you are seeing a problem, please tell me the exact old and new versions, whether you chose replace or side-by-side, and which settings were not preserved. It might be that if you change versions, say from XE 2013 to XE 2013 SP1, that settings aren't preserved, as those are different compiler versions, but I would have to test further to see if that was the case.

Steve
imagem de sumitm

Steve,

What is the typical procedure. Install the new compiler version and have the two versions coexist for a while and then uninstall the older version and then the settings would still prevail. I dont want multiple compiler versions existing on my computer. So whats the best way to uninstall the older version.

I have been waiting to do this new update and if you can let me know the steps that will keep the Tools>Options settings it would be great

Thanks

If you currently have an older update of the current product (Composer XE 2013 SP1), when you install Update 2 it will ask you if you want to replace the existing install or install the new one alongside the old. Choose "Replace".  This ought to preserve your settings. If you want to make sure, Go to the Start menu and search for regedit.exe, then run it.

Go down the tree to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\Compilers\Fortran

This assumes you are on a 64-bit system. Right click on Fortran in the left column and select Export. Save the file in a convenient place and name - it will have the .reg file type.

Now do the install. If you find your settings are not preserved, just double-click on your .reg file and it should restore the settings for the next time you open Visual Studio.

Steve
imagem de David White

Steve,

I can't see that these registry settings actually contain any of the customizations that I have in VS.  So even with your suggested procedure, when I upgrade, I lose all the extra Bin, Includes and library folders, which I then have to manually re-enter.

Regards,

David

My apologies. The correct path is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\Intel Fortran\VFToolOpt  This is for VS2013. If VS2012, then HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Intel Fortran\VFToolOpt  Right click on VFToolOpt and export it.

Steve
imagem de sumitm

Steve,

I installed the new Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 2 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, 14.0.0086.2010, Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Intel Corporation and also made the fortran_old.reg file but get the errors even after I clicked the reg file to reinstate the settings. This probably needs to be looked at. For the moment I will manually change settings

Also I use the 2010 VS shell that comes pre packages. I dont own VS by itself. So I assumed the reg file for me is the original posting you made (not the setting you advised David who probably has VS 2012 or 2013). I dont own that compiler suite. So please be specific for 2 cases:

users who have VS and users who do not

Thanks

Anexos: 

imagem de David White

Steve,

when you export the Reg file, it retains the exact version number for the compiler, so when the reg file is imported, it updates those entries, rather than those for the new version.  It is still necesary to copy the data for the BinDir/IncludeDir/LibraryDir entries to the folder for the new compiler version.  It's not much different to keeping a text copy of the folders and copying and pasting them into VS after updating.

Regards,

David

imagem de FortranFan

Steve et al. at Intel,

You may know Visual Studio offers an option for Import and Export Settings under Tools - playing around with it in VS2010 and 2012, I couldn't get this option to work for Intel Fortran Settings (may be I didn't do it correctly).  Some questions: does the Intel Fortran integration with Visual Studio extend to this feature as well?  If yes,  is there some documentation and instructions on what is covered and how to use the feature?

If not, can this be an item you can consider for your development in terms of enhancements to Intel's integration with Visual Studio?

Thanks much,

Anexos: 

AnexoTamanho
Download VS.png60.96 KB

No, we don't hook into that feature and may not be able to, but I will check. The install ought to preserve the directories lists from the previous install. If it doesn't, please let me know.

Steve
imagem de FortranFan

Quote:

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

No, we don't hook into that feature and may not be able to, but I will check. The install ought to preserve the directories lists from the previous install. If it doesn't, please let me know.

Yes, the update install does preserve the settings.  It's great that Intel installer cares about this.

However, sometimes one needs to do a fresh install on a new machine/hard-drive or after uninstalling everything following some nasty issue and I don't know if the settings get restored in such situations.  The built-in feature in Visual Studio might be an easier/cleaner option, if Microsoft's gives 3rd parties such as Intel the means to extend it.

Thanks much for looking into it,

Faça login para deixar um comentário.