A few questions regarding hardware events

A few questions regarding hardware events

Greetings,

• Looking at the below link, what exactly is the difference between non-precise and precise monitoring? Might seem a silly question- but why would anyone ever use unprecise monitoring??

http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/doclib/stdxe/2013...

• In the below link what is the difference between a "call" and "non-call"? Would one of these refer to polymorphic virtual methods?
  • In the same below link, I would like to see the value for the event "INDIRECT_NON_CALL" and I can see a mask. This appears to be some sort of bit manipulation device. How exactly do I see the value of this event counter? Where/what do I do with the mask?

In short, I am trying to work out which event counters I need to look at to observe indirect branch mispredictions for virtual calls. I am presuming I am close with these "INDIRECT" event counters?

14 posts / novo 0
Último post
Para obter mais informações sobre otimizações de compiladores, consulte Aviso sobre otimizações.
imagem de MrAnderson (Intel)

Hi T C:

For precise vs non-precise, you don't always get a choice.  Most events are non-precise!  Case in point, the link you referenced.  There may not be any precise equivalent events available from the performance monitoring unit of the processor.

Regards, MrAnderson

Quote:

MrAnderson (Intel) wrote:

Hi T C:

For precise vs non-precise, you don't always get a choice.  Most events are non-precise!  Case in point, the link you referenced.  There may not be any precise equivalent events available from the performance monitoring unit of the processor.

Hi- thanks for that. Don't suppose you have any insight in to the other 2 questions?

Thanks in advance.

imagem de iliyapolak

As far as I was able to understand NON_CALL could be related to branch to the target which does not contain any function call.

DIRECT_NEAR_CALL could mean branch to the target in the same segment and execution of the call instruction.

Machine code level and underlying CPU microarchitecture probably does not "understand"  virtual functions.

imagem de iliyapolak

>>>In the same below link, I would like to see the value for the event "INDIRECT_NON_CALL" >>>

Usually virtual function will be called indirectly through the pointer.So in this case of virtual function call I would suggest to measure INDIRECT_NEAR_CALL.

In assembly it should like this:

call dword ptr [eax] ; eax contains a pointer to VTBL

Quote:

iliyapolak wrote:

>>>In the same below link, I would like to see the value for the event "INDIRECT_NON_CALL" >>>

Usually virtual function will be called indirectly through the pointer.So in this case of virtual function call I would suggest to measure INDIRECT_NEAR_CALL.

So how do I use these "masks" to see the additional event counters?

I wish intel would just show all of the raw columns in the GUI!

imagem de iliyapolak

Quote:

T C wrote:

Quote:

iliyapolak wrote:

So how do I use these "masks" to see the additional event counters?

I wish intel would just show all of the raw columns in the GUI!

If I am not wrong those events should have corresponding MSR registers.

@T C, instead of making you program masks, we typically enumerate the counters, e.g., MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED

• MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HIT
  • MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HIT_PS
  • MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HITM
  • MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HITM_PS

Regards, MrAnderson

Quote:

@T C, instead of making you program masks, we typically enumerate the counters, e.g., MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED

• MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HIT
  • MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HIT_PS
  • MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HITM
  • MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HITM_PS

Hi, what do you mean by this exactly?

@T C, you said, "So how do I use these "masks" to see the additional event counters?"  You don't need to use masks, the additional counters are enumerated in the VTune Amplifier XE tool.  Unless I am totally missing your point?

Regards, MrAnderson

Quote:

@T C, you said, "So how do I use these "masks" to see the additional event counters?"  You don't need to use masks, the additional counters are enumerated in the VTune Amplifier XE tool.  Unless I am totally missing your point?

Could you please explain what you mean by "enumerated"?

I have an event counter called MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED and it has a value. Other than that I have no idea how I need to get the various "subset" counters- except you tell me they are enumerated?

Enumerated just means things are listed one by one- hence ive no idea how this applies in this context.

Right, so if you want the XSNP_HIT sub-counter, the SDM says it has a mask value of '2'.  Only, you don't have to know that or use it, because VTune Amplifier XE allows you to select MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HIT.

Regards, MrAnderson

Quote:

Right, so if you want the XSNP_HIT sub-counter, the SDM says it has a mask value of '2'.  Only, you don't have to know that or use it, because VTune Amplifier XE allows you to select MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HIT.

Massive apologies- I now understand why you were confused when I asked what did you mean. Yes for that particular example they are "enumerated", ie they are all on display. However, let us take BR_MISP_RETIRED:

I only have BR_MISP_RETIRED.ALL_BRANCHES_PS. I do not have any of the other enumerated options in my VTune results..... 

Okay, what processor are you using?  For my Sandy Bridge-based system, I see these events:

Anexos: 

AnexoTamanho
Download events.PNG92.84 KB
Regards, MrAnderson

Faça login para deixar um comentário.