This sample has been retired as it either was developed for earlier generation hardware or the sample has been superseded by a newer sample with an advanced algorithm. The sample is still available for download if desired.
Features / Description
Onloaded Shadows is a technique by which shadow maps can be calculated asynchronously on the CPU. By using cascades, the shadow map for objects near the camera are calculated every frame on the GPU, but the shadow maps for objects in the second cascade and beyond are calculated less often on the CPU. This allows for better work balancing across the CPU and GPU.
- CPU: Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel® AVX)-enabled x86 (Intel® microarchitecture code name Sandy Bridge or better suggested)
- GFX: uses Microsoft DirectX* 11 graphics API on Microsoft DirectX* 10 (or better) hardware
- OS: Microsoft Windows* 7 SP1 (for Intel AVX support)
- MEM: 2 GB of RAM or better
- Microsoft DirectX* SDK (June 2010 release or later)
- Microsoft Windows* SDK May 2010
- Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010 (Intel AVX support required) or Intel® C++ Compiler version 11
- Microsoft* C Run-Time Libraries (CRT) 2008/2010
This software is subject to the U.S. Export Administration Regulations and other U.S. law, and may not be exported or re-exported to certain countries (Burma, Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) or to persons or entities prohibited from receiving U.S. exports (including Denied Parties, Specially Designated Nationals, and entities on the Bureau of Export Administration Entity List or involved with missile technology or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons).