What is this code sample?
The code download illustrates a technique for getting Power Event notification from the operating system. This method is primarily aimed at controlling power on Intel® x86 based systems actively running SpeedStep® Technology during performance tuning. It is particularly useful where use of Read Time Stamp Counter (RDTSC) instruction varies based on the changing frequencies imposed by Intel® SpeedStep® Technology.
All software and device driver developers interested in performance tuning, and performance monitoring as a part of that process. You should have (at minimum) a simple understanding of:
- Power Management under the Microsoft Windows* XP
- Intel® SpeedStep® technology
- Microsoft Windows XP device driver build methodology and APIs
- Win32 threading APIs
You will need access to a Windows XP development system, including:
- the Windows platform SDK
- Windows XP device driver kit
- Microsoft Developer Studio 6.0, OR Microsoft .NET Developer Studio
It would also be beneficial to have a debugger such as MS WinDBG or CompuWare SoftICE*
Enabling Power Event Interception Notification and Control in Microsoft Windows XP*