Intel® VTune™ Amplifier now includes the ability to run an event sampling collection without the requirement of installing a device driver on Linux* and Android*. This is an important feature because many times customer do not have the ability to “root” their system. Also, customers may not have access to the kernel sources that are required to build a driver that will install on a given system.
In order to run a driverless event based (perf-based) collection in VTune Amplifier the following system requirement must be satisfied.
- Linux* kernel version 2.6.32 or higher
- Systems exports the CPU PMU over the /sys/bus/event_source/devices/cpu/format file system
- Verify the format directory specified above exists
- File /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid exists
- Make sure your kernel has the following configuration items set:
- CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER is required for call-stack information.
- CONFIG_KALLSYMS is required to resolve kernel symbols
The VTune Amplifier analysis types that can access the perf-based collector are the following:
- Advanced hotspots
- Non-stack based collection
- General Exploration
- Custom event based analysis types
In order to run a perf-based collection you must first verify that the sepdk sampling collector is not loaded.
Running an Advanced Hotspot driverless collection